Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Progressively worsening Knee- what would you do ?  (Read 883 times)

Offline zak3737

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Progressively worsening Knee- what would you do ?
« on: November 10, 2008, 05:39:47 PM »
Just wondered what others would do perhaps.....

Aged 18 I wrecked my knee playing Rugby, torn ACL, cartilage damage etc etc. Sadly it was pre ACL repair days, so I had surgery to remove cartilage etc, and subsequent keyhole a few years later for more trimming etc.
Resultant unstable Knee meant me avoiding all contact sports since , and managing it as best possible.

However, I'm now 46, and its getting progressively more problematic & painful.†
Occasional very sharp pain when turning slightly or similar, and certainly painful when playing Golf, which unfortunately uses the left knee quite substantially as a pivot.

I went to see my Doc to ask for a referral to a Consultant for updated opinions and examination, and to be quite frank, I nearly walked out.† He clearly didnt think I should be there, and went thru the motions objectionally, without the slightest bit of interest etc etc.
I ended up with the sheet required to amke an appointment at a Knee Clinic at the local Infirmary, but with no Consultant guaranteed to be even present, so I dont hold out very good hopes for that.

I do have a Report in hand which was done following an MRI I had 4yrs ago when in Private Health Scheme, but the actual MRI scans were flood damaged at the Consultants office and the Hospital dont keep digital records can you beleive :-(

I have been recommended to a guy called Steven Calder at the Spire Hospital in Leeds, very good apparently, and altho its best part of £200 for an appointment, I cant help feeling at least I will be with someone who will actually be able to fully advise what can perhaps be done to manage the problems I have, and the likely timescales of further deveopements etc.

I know that perhaps a Full Knee Replacement is on the cards for me at some point, but I know its too early now, and anyway, I wouldnt want that yet, its manageable for now.
Perhaps a flush out of my knee may help, but maybe that could aggravate it more ?

I know the NHS is good, but it seems to me that when you arent a priority, you just have to maybe pay to get to see top experts in your required field ?

Any thoughts anyone ?† † :-\

PS:† I also tried to Glucosamine route etc etc, but didnt see any difference at all.† †Also seen some things about injections that can be given too, but dont know anything about these really.
 :-\

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Progressively worsening Knee- what would you do ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 07:33:49 PM »
Even if you decide to pay for the private appointment you dont have to go private to get something done if it comes to that.  It took me 13 weeks to get a refferal from my GP when i knew i had torn cartilage and i have private cover.  It can soemtimes be a battle but stick with it, you do have a right for a consultant whether your GP agrees or not............

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:21:36 PM »
I assume it was you mencuis cartlidge that was removed over the years? if so I read the other day in one of the national newspapers about a guy who had a new one grown from a pigs tendon or something along those lines. There seems to be quite a bit of advancement in this area

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1082809/Daves-knee-like-new--thanks-pigs-tendon.html

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 02:11:03 PM »
I also tore my ACL in the pre ACLr days. The instability resulted in a torn meniscus and seriously atrophied muscles from me favoring the knee. After 17 years, at the age of 31, I had my ACL reconstructed and the torn bits of meniscus removed. My knee felt a lot better after that and I was able to build my muscles back up somewhat. They have never returned to their former glory however. My ACL is still intact 18 years after the reconstruction. However, the meniscus has continued to dog me and I've since had a PKR.

So what would I do? I'd get the ACL fixed and clean up the rest of the joint.