Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Wii fit? Anyone  (Read 1249 times)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Wii fit? Anyone
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:04:49 PM »
I will admit it - we purchased a Wii fit.  Opened the box this morning and started having fun.  I was very hesitant with the knee / leg issues that seem to be getting worse and worse.  But I tried and had fun.  It was very interesting, frankly.  The bad leg seemed stronger than the other not so bad leg.  The balance stuff really revealed how much I do not use the bad leg and when I'd move to use it I couldn't.  I revealed a whole level of things that I didn't realize that I wasn't doing properly.  When you initially set it up it automatically sets your Wii age.  My weight was great, my bmi exactly where it should be but - get this - my Wii age is 62.  Nothing wrong with that except that I'm 51!  I was rated that much down because of balance.   The husband who will admit trips over air while walking and is in good shape Wii said he was overweight and high bmi with a Wii age of 33!!  He's also 31! 

It just revealed things I didn't know about the knee.  Frankly I stopped because my knee couldn't do some of the movements and was swelling immediately.  (But that's nothing new)  Next week my mission is to find a neurosurgeon and start figuring this knee out.  I'm depressed.  I've been hiding how bad this thing is.  Shame on me.  eagle

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
Re: Wii fit? Anyone
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Hi eagle,

No - not shame on you. We all run away and hide from things that we feel we can't deal with at times. But you've found something that's made you think about your knee in a differnet light and because of it, you're going to get something sorted. SO don't feel shame. You should feel proud of yourself.

And you know the best part? You had fun doing it!

Good luck with the neurosurgeon.

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02-L/Release
13/08/03-Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05-Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06-Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06-RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07-Excision of scar tissue
29/05/15-Arthroscopy
02/03/20-Left transfemoral amputation

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 09:09:34 PM »
Oops - he is 51 not 31!  You know today my knee feels pretty good today.  Its tight but that is always.  Go figure, I have no idea about this thing!  eagle

I did Wii today, it is fun while strength training. 

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »
No, don't you all laugh.  For one year I've tried various rehab's for this knee / leg.  Nothing has really worked.  The os tossed me to neurologist until I have surgery for trapped nerve, so they think.  Well................  doing this Wii Fit has partily released some, not all, of the scar tissue!  Knee / leg do feel better - not correct but definitely better.  This Wii simply has me move in ways pt hasn't had me move and with different focus.  This is to stretch you not so much strengthen.  I'm not saying its going to solve everyone's issues, what I'm saying is for me the $89.00 is the best I've spent.

Had another sport massage yesterday and I'd not said a thing about the knee.  She obviously was working there and immediately noticed that the scar tissue was different and that I had more movement in the knee.  eagle

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 03:25:21 PM »
i have a wii and love it - just have to be careful not to use it too many times a week as it does make my shin ache - but the instructions do say it may not be suitable ! - as my hubby keeps pointing out !

all the sports packages are fun too !

1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 04:32:57 AM »
Glad to know other adults will admit to doing this.  I did overdo slightly today so will skip tomorrow.  I'm thinking it has helped - at this point it certainly hasn't hurt any.  eagle