Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Feet pointing slightly outward when walking=Knee pain???  (Read 5835 times)

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Feet pointing slightly outward when walking=Knee pain???
« on: November 06, 2008, 08:20:17 PM »
I've had knee pain for 3 years and just started my 3rd round of pt yesterday.  During my evaluation my therapist told me that me knee was very tight and my patella 'did not like to move medially.'  After some stretching, he drew lines on my ankles and told my to talk away from him.  He told me that when I walk, my feet point slightly outwards and that this could be causing my knee problems. Although he said my foot arches are perfectly fine, he wanted me to get arch supports for my shoes.  I didn't want to argue with him so I said that I understood and would get the supports. 

Has anyone else ever been told this?  During round 2 of pt, the same therapist told me that I kick out my feet when walking, and that was why I had knee pain.  So I made a conscious effort to stop doing this, and it must have worked because the therapist didn't mention anything about it yesterday.  I just don't understand that out of the 3 orthos that I have seen, none of them mentioned this.  All of the orthos told me that my pain was caused by a problem that I just didn't grow out of. Also, if all of this is being caused by the way I walk, why is it that I just started having pain 3 years ago? 

I also have aching, grinding, crunching, and a catching feelings in my knee (and the catching occurs when I am either swimming, doing a pedaling motion, or flexing my knee while in a sitting position, never when I am just walking).  Could all of this really stem from a walking problem?  Like I said, I am going to get the arch supports, but I'm not convinced that the solution to my problem is that easy.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
Re: Feet pointing slightly outward when walking=Knee pain???
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:05:44 PM »
Squibler,

You don't say how old you are, but I did go back and read some of your other posts. I wonder if the supports the therapist referred to are for arch support or some type of wedge to correct the pitch out of the one foot?

My son had a toe-pitch problem when he was a child, and our doctor prescribed special wedges for his shoes to force the foot back into alignment. We had to take his shoes to a shoe shop to have the prescribed wedges sewn in between the sole of the shoe and the inside lining. Also, my elderly mother in law has developed one leg shorter than the other over time, and we have her shoe soles altered to correct that. Actually one shoe from each set has to have a sort of extra sole sewn on to make the one leg as long as the other.  It's less that half an inch and really is not noticeable, but it has made all the difference in the world for her--not to mention the fact that it's a low-tech and relatively inexpensive fix.

It is possible the the toeing out and the damage that has caused over the years is the cause of your knee problems.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 10:16:19 PM »
Squibler,

You don't say how old you are, but I did go back and read some of your other posts. I wonder if the supports the therapist referred to are for arch support or some type of wedge to correct the pitch out of the one foot?

My son had a toe-pitch problem when he was a child, and our doctor prescribed special wedges for his shoes to force the foot back into alignment. We had to take his shoes to a shoe shop to have the prescribed wedges sewn in between the sole of the shoe and the inside lining. Also, my elderly mother in law has developed one leg shorter than the other over time, and we have her shoe soles altered to correct that. Actually one shoe from each set has to have a sort of extra sole sewn on to make the one leg as long as the other.  It's less that half an inch and really is not noticeable, but it has made all the difference in the world for her--not to mention the fact that it's a low-tech and relatively inexpensive fix.

It is possible the the toeing out and the damage that has caused over the years is the cause of your knee problems.

Thank you for your response lizl.  I am currently 17, meaning that my problems started at age 14.  The supports that he wants me to get are "Apex Medial Arch Supports."  He told me that the shoe fitters will tell me that I don't need them, and that my arches are fine, but to get them anyway.  I hope that your son and mother's problems are all taken care of.

Offline lizl

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • I've fallen and I cannot get up?
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »
The grinding, crunching, and even the catching could be from torn meniscus. Have you ever had an MRI? Of course, the ultimate test to see what's going on inside is a scope--but you certainly want to have other measures taken first.

Those of us who have had surgery usually have some degree of crepitus (that's the technical term for the crunchy noise). Age (not your problem, of course, at 17), arthritis, and general wear and tear (maybe your problem due to the poor gait) can cause bits and pieces of menisci to tear loose and float around inside the knee joint. That junk makes noise and sometimes even gets in the way a bit.
2003: 1/28-29Fell on wet floor,broke kneecap
ORIF(hdwr&immob)
Post-op drug reaction
3/4-5/13 brace
3/21-8/28PT
12/19Hardware removal,scope,partial meniscectomies
2004: More PT
lost job
Settledw/WC Oct
2005: Personal injury lawsuit--reschedulings,failed mediation
2006: settled out of court in March

support