Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Doctor wants to "kill" nerve.  (Read 832 times)

Offline nannybrister

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Doctor wants to "kill" nerve.
« on: November 06, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »
Good morning!  My mother had knee replacement 18 mo. ago and still has a lot of pain.  The physician finally sees in an xray that the replacement is hitting a nerve (this doesn't sound professional; but that's what she says) and the only way to stop the pain is to "kill" the nerve.  She isn't sure, leaning toward not doing it.  Afraid, I guess.  Has anyone had this done and did it work?  Thanks!

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: Doctor wants to "kill" nerve.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 03:53:23 PM »
Try posting this in the Knee Arthritis - Total Knee Replacement section or maybe changing the topic title to bring those who have had persistent pain after a TKR to look at your question.

Sorry I can't add anything else as I have no knowledge or experience of TKR issues. Except maybe a 2nd or 3rd opinion may be worth it if you can get them. (not sure if you are in the UK or elsewhere)

Good Luck - there are some very knowledgeable people here who may be able to help you.

Sue  ;) in Germany
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 08:47:12 PM »
nannybrister,
Nerve pain can be controlled by 'killing' the nerve involved. But its not usually a simple matter, they need to find the nerve, check that lesioning it will actually address the pain etc...
I think your mother needs to get a lot more info before making any decisions. Nerves can regenerate so it may not be a permanent solution.
Tanya
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
Killing the nerve might work too well. Nothing will ever be felt there again. No bumps,bruises,cuts...nothing. Your Mother could get unexplained bruises because she didn't feel it when she bumped into a table. Or she might not know she has a cut until she sees the blood.

I would be very cautious aboout this.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 02:12:27 PM »
Has she tried nerve medications to see if they help to relieve the pain.  I'm not a os/nurse, etc but personally I know that there are several medication that address this.  I'm on one medication for that now.  I will admit I didn't think it was helping until I missed a dose - its helping.  And I've been on it just over a month and feeling better.  I'd ask questions questions questions before proceeding.  eagle

support