Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: My ACL replacement..I still need help  (Read 877 times)

Offline Heffelz8

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
My ACL replacement..I still need help
« on: November 03, 2008, 08:20:38 PM »
Hi all.  This is my first post in a forum like this, so please bare with me.  I had ACL replacement about 2 years ago by a Dr. who I now don't trust very much.  Since my surgery, my knee has substantial scar tissue, moderate-severe pain when WALKING and extending my leg and phantom pains.  I had the patella graft.  I am also experiencing a tingling sensation on the outside portion of my knee when i scratch the inside of my knee.  Strange, because when I touch the outside of my knee plainly, I can't feel it anymore.  It's been numb since the surgery 2 years ago.  I also had a femoral block with my surgery which was great until it wore off.  Since then, I have also had severe (SEVERE) burning pain in my shin about halfway up to my knee.  That pain has never completely gone away.  It still hurts when I step down firmly with my leg.
     I saw another Dr 2 months ago and he suggested that I get another MRI.  I am currently waiting to get back to the US so I can get that done.  He informed me that it looks like my ACL graft failed and that I may need another surgery, ugh!  I'm 24 now and I feel like I'm 60.  I have no energy, I lack enthusiasm that I once had and I am in constant pain.  Has anybody else out there gone through the same thing???   I need advice.  The first surgery was so terrible that I don't want to do it again.  I'm 6'6" 230 lbs, I work as an EMT/Firefighter, excuse me, I worked as those things.  I know I may not be 100% me again but I at least want to be 90% me.  I can't run anymore, jump, play basketball, play with my niece, or do anything that really made me who I was 2 years ago. 
    Somebody please help an old man out.  Any advice is helpful.  I will be seeing a Dr. in New Hampshire, so if anybody has any suggestions for Dr's there or in Boston, give me a ring.  [email protected]   Thanks for reading.
ACL Rupture 07/06
ACL Reconstruction Patella graft 10/06

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: My ACL replacement..I still need help
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
I don't know what's wrong with your knee but I have a couple of comments. First, scar tissue is normal and pretty much unavoidable. Some people make more than others and there's really not a whole lot you can do about that. Numbness is also unavoidable for the most part. Some people get their feeling back, others don't. I haven't had feeling in my knee for 35 years. You'll get used to it. Femoral blocks wear off, that's what they're supposed to do.

Dr. John Blute in Concord, MA did my ACL recon back in 1990 when it was a relatively new procedure. He did an awesome job and it's still intact 18 years later. I was living in NH at the time and drove down to MA so he could do the surgery.