Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: So Much Pain  (Read 722 times)

Offline Mary Poppins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
So Much Pain
« on: November 03, 2008, 10:00:17 AM »
Hello to everyone,i am looking for some advice, i have to have an Arthroscopy, X-Ray showed OA, and bone needs smoothing, i am on the waiting list for the op, is it natural when you have knee problems to have pain in calf, thigh and hip, i am in so much pain at the moment that i cant get comfortable when i am awake or trying to sleep  :'(
Any suggestions on easing pain would be helpful.
Thank You

Offline friendsfan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile!
Re: So Much Pain
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 10:20:09 AM »
great name.... I think this is completley normal, I have long standing knee problems and I have a cyst on my hip from over compensating my hip for my knee... I dont have pain in the calf but I do in the thigh, hip, ankle and shin. you will be amazed how many people on here arent just suffering with their knee pain anymore.

hope this helps

faye
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:54:26 AM by friendsfan »
5-3-07 injured knee-no ROM
2-5-07 LK scope + MUA
26-6-08-LK TTT and scope
10-12-08-LK MUA
12-6-09-RK scope
26-8-09 RK TTT

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 10:36:29 AM »
faye is right, knee pain radiates to other parts of the body, especially the hip and ankle, but it can also affect parts that seems disconnected, like the spine. walking on a bad knee throws everything off, stressing other parts of the body trying to compensate. i freaked out thinking i needed my hip and ankle replaced--turns out, once i fixed the knee, the other parts improved. still get hip pain when i overdo it, but now i know it's my knee causing the trouble. good luck to you on the arthroscopy!
mindy

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 11:33:57 AM »
Just make sure they are operating on the right part of the body. I had an uneccessary knee replacement and the pain was caused by my back. They operated on my knee three times before I had two major back surgery and another operation on my knee after. Now becaue they messed up my knee so bad I have to have major surgery to correct it. The vack and knee kind of go together as far as one triggering the other, but if you gait is off it can cause enough problems where you aren't sure which part of the body is causing what.
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline Mary Poppins

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2008, 04:53:45 PM »
Thank you to everyone, i think the fact that i am a cook and work in Kitchens catering for 300 people, plus standing all day on split shifts really dosn't help the situation, everyone tells me to stay off work for a few weeks but i can't see the point as when i go back it will just be the same.
I refused an op in Jan this year as the pain was not as bad and i could live with it plus i am terrified of MRSA and the consultant said i would have to stay in overnight!!! so me being me i said i can cope with the pain, now i can't.
I have another appointment on 28th Nov to see consultant again and arrange another date for the op, still terrified though.