Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is There Any Members On Board That Cant Run?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Is There Any Members On Board That Cant Run?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2008, 11:06:09 AM »
Thanks for the replies I was not expecting so many replies back but good to know how other Members cant run due to thier dodgy knees.

I get annoyed when people say if you try hard enough you can run or jog and might be a psychological thing not being able to run due to my AS. Beleave me I do try my hardest to run just a few yards but my right knee wont allow me to.

I will remain positive about my appointment with the OS and sure he can help but if he says you wont be able to run again I wont get to upset about it as I dont need to be able to run in my job as a Greenkeeper. What might happen is a scope of the right knee to remove any obstructions and maybe then I can run once again.

I might not be able to run long distance as I was hoping to once the knee fixed such as doing a marathon. It might flare up the knee and do more harm then good, I have a good freind Jake who enjoys jogging and would like to be able jog with him some day soon once my knee problems have been sorted.

Brianne I do use a elliptical machine or cross trainer as I know it 3 times a week for 20 minutes and also use the excercise bike for the same amount of time and really enjoy going to the gym.

I am one of many who cant run and just have to accept it for now as many of members on this board are in the same situation. Waiting for an OS appoinment for a cortisone injection into the fat pad which I hope happens before Christmas. Knowing the NHS it might not happen till next year.

Nick :) {2008} :)

RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 07:30:15 PM »
Hi Nick,

As I responded earlier, I can run but have to limit the amount I run.  I too do use the eliptical and such and have just started using the bike for a good hard workout.  I have had to adjust my thinking and be glad for what I can do and that I'm not disabled but am functioning pretty well.  I had hopes of doing a half marathon after recouping from my surgery, but I'm thinking that doing something that ambitious may be out of the question. 

In your last post you mentioned something about having AS and that your not being able to run might be a psychological thing.  Can you explain more?  The reason I ask is that I have a 9 year old son with HFA and he struggles to run correctly.  So I'm curious about what you are experiencing.

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 01:18:35 PM »
Hi Nick,

I saw this thread and had to post! I am another KG that can't run. For the past two years I haven't ran at all, and even before that I could run maybe a couple hundred feet. With my twisted legs, running isn't an option. Hopefully, after I am all derotated I will be able to run.

I agree with everyone about about the elliptical and the bike. They are a little easier on my legs, although I am still not very good at doing those. I have always ridden horses, so I don't need to run. When people asked me about why I don't run I tell them I ride horses so the horse does all the running for me!  ;D lol.

Are there other activities you can do that don't involve running?

Hope everyone has a good day! It's cold here in PA, and the legs are hating that!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline cloggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 10:33:06 PM »
Hi Nick,

I managed to run after my accident.   But when the knee started to lock I could not run but after my first arthroscopy I was able to run again but then I damaged my knee again from running so can't win.

I have to be able to run and will have to do the test again in which I damaged my knee so not looking forward to trying that again but will be sometime yet before I give it a go.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales

Hi  interested to note that youve just had arthroscopy, how are you getting on post op are you still riding your horse?  I have had one arthroscopy last july and os want to do another but very reluctant as first seems to have made matters worst - what have you found

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
Hi All,

Annette I have a condition called Asperger Syndrome a mild form of autism but have it mildly as I can work full time drive a car and live alone in my own flat. Many others with AS cant live alone and need to be taken into care and could not begin to drive a car as they would have panick attacks over it, also know as ASD autsim spectrum disorder. I had a mental breakdown in 2004 and during that time could not run for 9 months and suddenly could run again. Also known as ASD autsim spectrum disorder.

People with AS may have the following:

Social communication difficulties.
Likely to be extremely anxiouse in unfamiliar situations.
Behaviour may appear strange or threatening.
May need support of an appropriate adult/intermediary.

I dont think this time its in my head not being able to run as I feel catching inside the knee on the lateral side and get pain in the right knee. I been told by other Members on this board a inflammed fat pad can cause you not to run and there a lot of fluid around the fat pad that shows up crystal clear in the MRI scan along with maltracking.

Lyndsey I can do other things that dont involve running such as going to the gym that I do 3 times a week as I mentioned in my last posting. I could also go swimming but not a very good swimmer and cant really cycle in Birmingham as it too dangerous the traffic and there are no cycle paths so might get knocked the bike by a car.

Nick :) {2008} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 03:32:53 PM »
Hi Cloggs,

After my first arthroscopy I had a slow recovery and it took me from the July until Jan/Feb before I was able to start trying to run again.  I was not happy being listed for another one after because of the post op problems I was getting.  I could not do SLR's for months and even my PT was worried.

This time is totally different I cannot compare it to the first at all.  I feel 100% better than last time.  It is still a little sore but I am only three weeks post op and trying not to over do things LOL.  I do sometimes get sharp pains behind the knee cap especially when I have done to much and my quads have coped much better with this op so hopefully this will be the end of it and I can get back to normal (whatever that is  ;D). 

A friend of mine has the same thing going on as me and he is on his third scope (same surgeon as well).  So I need to have a good chat with my OS when I go back for my follow up to see what the long term prognosis is.

So in answer to the question is I was very worried about going for a second as I did not cope well for my first but this time is completley different.  I was off work for month first time and this time just two weeks and the post op period is easier this time.  You will have to way up the pro's ad con's and see what your OS wants to do.

What did they find when they first did you? and what do they want to do this time?

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018