Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Mom of son having Femoral Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 1060 times)

Offline NatesMom

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Mom of son having Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« on: October 09, 2008, 08:18:54 PM »
Hello, this is the first message I've sent out.  I've been clicking around & think this is a fantastic site!  I'm looking for information from anyone that has had a Femoral Derotational Osteotomy.  My son Nathan is 8 and has Cerebral Palsy.  He is scheduled for this surgery in Jan 2009 on both legs at the same time.  He has already had a derotational osteotomy on his tibia w/ great success.  I am VERY nervous about this surgery though & from what I've read on this site, many people have been in extreme pain for quite a while afterward.  What else should I know?  How can I help him?  Are you glad you had the procedure done?  Do you wish you hadn't?  I am open to any comments or suggestions anyone may have.

A million thanks!
Nate's Mom

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Mom of son having Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 04:59:11 AM »
Hi Nates Mom, I am happy you posted this question. I am looking for the same information. I am three weeks out of a tibial derotational osteotomy, and am doing quite well.  I am now facing a femoral detrotational osteotomy in February, on my opposite leg.  If I come across any information in my research on this, I will be sure to let you know. 
10/06/08 right tibial derotation
01/29/09 left femoral derotation

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Mom of son having Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2008, 03:37:56 PM »
Hi Nates mom!

I had my right femur derotated in May. The board sometimes makes things seem worse than they are because some people, like myself, come on to talk and complain with people who have the same issues. The board is a great outlet, and the people are so supportive, I find myself using it as an outlet for when I am in pain. So as a result of all this, I post when I am in alot of pain or just feeling down. I try to post positive things too though. lol.

I am extremely glad I had my femur derotated. The pain in my knee has gone away almost completely. I do have some pain now in my hip where the plate and screws are. That pain should go away once the hardware is removed in a year or so. My left femur is still twisted, and causing me more pain than ever. I can't wait to have it derotated in January. The process is long, but it was definitely worth it for me. My OS didn't want to do both legs at once, and I can't say I would have liked to do it that way either. My right one is now healed enough to support my left one after it's derotated. I liked having one at a time done, because I didn't have to use a wheelchair, and was still relatively mobile. I am sure your OS has a reason he wants to do both at once though.

I wouldn't really worry about the recovery from the femoral osteotomies, if you have already done the tibia's. I told Jenny on her thread, the kneegeek Amberle would be a great source of information as she has had both her femur and tibia done. She has a thread in the Post Op. section called Rotational Diary #3 or something like that.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have, and as a person who has had my femur derotated I will give you my best answer. I hope you have a good day!

Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture