Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: The day after a Scope!!!  (Read 826 times)

Offline LeeC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
The day after a Scope!!!
« on: November 01, 2008, 01:55:48 PM »
I had my scope yesterday to take a closer look at what was wrong. MRI showed nothing and luckily it was correct. It just needed to cleaned up and old bits of cartilage and ligament from previous surgery had to be cleaned out loads of fluid to. However he did say that somehow i have caused a divet/dent in my cartilage probably from a challenge or something during football. This had collected loads of old bits in it and was causing pain on the lateral side of the knee. I have just taken the bandages off curiosity got the better of me, and there quite a lot swelling mainly above the knee cap, is this normal? I did not have anything major done so i thought swelling would be minimal. Any advice on getting the swelling/fluid down dont wont it interfering again like last time. Thanks

Offline eaglemom

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
Re: The day after a Scope!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 02:49:24 PM »
Glad the scope didn't reveal anything - your lucky.  However were your instructions to unwrap today?  That seems a bit quick to me, but I'm not a doc.  I'd get it covered immediately to protect it.  As for the swelling weren't you given instructions?  I'd be icing and elevating all weekend, for sure.  Ice no more than 20 minutes and off an hour and repeat - day and night if you can.  The elevate needs to be above the heart - that really will help with the swelling.

No matter what you think on "just had a scope" the knee had trauma and it doesn't like it.  It responds by swelling and being sore - that is just part of it.  I'd really just lay on the bed / sofa and that is it all weekend or I'm afraid you will pay in pain from swelling.  Of course that's just my opinion.  I know from my several scopes I was under os orders to do exactly that and frankly could have cared less about anything except resting.  Don't over do.  eagle

Offline LeeC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I was told to uncover it in 48 hours so this time tomorrow but i got a little curious and uncovered it although i am wrapping it up asap. I was told to ice once the bandage come off as the cold will not get through. I was told to keep it elevated but not above the heart so ill give that a go. I have nothing major planned anyway just watcjing football all day  ;D Just suffered with getting the fluid and swelling down since the first op. Hopefully if i rehab better this time i will be ok

Offline LeeC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:08:23 PM »
One other thing how long before u can return to sport eg football after a scope?  Thanks

support