Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: From Stem Cells to the slopes.....possibility?  (Read 857 times)

Offline dcmpriory

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
From Stem Cells to the slopes.....possibility?
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:09:49 PM »
All,

First of all THANK YOU for taking the time to read my post. I am currently looking for advice on a procedure I have read about called Stem Cell Regeneration. I am hoping that this boards experitise can advise me on how to find out if;

a, this is a viable solution
b, if its suitable for me

The problem

I currently have grade 3 generation in my left knee where i am almost bone on bone due to two 'channels' through my cartilidge. To reduce the need for a knee replacement before i'm 40 (i'm currently 34) I have being advised to stop all high impact sports.

The background

5 years ago I had an ACL reconstruction on my knee after snapping the ACL playing 5-a-side football. The reconstruction went fine (and still is) but i started to suffer from discomfort moreso in the last year. Having had an MRI and long leg x-ray in June 08 I took these to see what could be done to control or iradicate the discomfort. After 3 seperate consultations I was advised to 'retire'. The consultants that advised me are well respected in their own right and I take their advice onbaord without any quarms.

I have read about Stem Cell Regeneration working very well for those that immentantly need a new knee. As I am earlier in that process and stopping sports as a preventative measure, I am wondering if the treatment would be beneficial to me in my current state.

Can anyone please advise on how I can use Stem Cell Regeneration as a means of getting back on my snowboard? The footie I can do without, but i miss the mountains so much and would look at any solution that would help out.

People like talking about their knee's, ive learnt that....im hoping you guys can pass on your knowledge.

Thanks.

Dave M.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: From Stem Cells to the slopes.....possibility?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 05:04:34 PM »
Try looking at this thread Dave. There are a number of people receiving a form of this treatment and some of us are following the results with a great deal of interest. It helps to know where you are based in order to know where you could possibly go for treatment. I'm in southern Germany and there is a centre near me working on stem cell therapy for renewing articular surfaces. I am needing a meniscus solution so I#m not so sure if it is a solution for me yet.

Sue  ;) ;) in Bayern!

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=40048.new#new
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: From Stem Cells to the slopes.....possibility?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:49:59 AM »
I have come across about 3 or 4 univesties/reserch centres which are about to start human trials using stem cells, as far as I am aware the only place that offers it as a treatment is in singapore at the NUI hopsital. I dont know if the stem cells being used in upcoming trials are better than whats being offered over there but there does seem to be a whole load of treatment options on the horizon, id like to think shortly cartlidge damage will be fixed in a straight forward manner without complications/long recovery.

support