Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: injury to right knee  (Read 1356 times)

Offline xzitbit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
injury to right knee
« on: October 31, 2008, 08:59:46 AM »
i was playing football 2 weeks ago and leaped and twisted my knee.....for 4 days i thought it was just a sprain , but the swelling wasnt reducing so went to a doc. he asked me to get a mri test.....after seeing it he has asked me to take rest for 3 weeks and then show him my knee again....
the report says '''ACL appears swollen. partial tear is noted in ACL at its femoral attachment. grade 3 signal/ tear in the posterior horn of medial meniscus. grade 1 sprain of MCL. moderate joint effusion. it also says that 'hyperintense signal is seen along the ACL. the PCL appears normal. grade 3 signal / tear is noted in the posterior horn of medial meniscus. lateral meniscus appears normal. hyperintense signal is seen along the MCL. the MCL appears intact. lateral collateral ligament appears normal. moderate joint effusion. the bones of the knee joint reveal normal marrow signal. patella, its articular cartilage, patellar retinaculi, quadriceps and patellar tendons appear normal.
please help me on this do i need surgery and if not will i be able to play football again please advice me ...... is there a possibility of it getting ok with rest only??????
kindly advise me on the same
thankin u

Offline rozzzie

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • smile:a little curve that strightens everythig out
Re: injury to right knee
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 12:19:15 PM »
Rest may clear up some of your problems, the MCL sprain should be fine,  The ACL if not ruptured and your knee is stable is usually not operated on,  will you be able to play again who knows.  The minsicus tears probably will not heal on their own, (MRI's are not always right on them either,) but only require surgery if they interfere with activities.  You will not know that till the knees settles down.

Bottom line, at this point no one can be certain if you'll need surgery and no one can say if you'll be able to play again.

Follow your docs orders and if you are still having problems when you go back, ask for a referral to and OS who can more fully evaluate your knee.  in the meantime RICE!

Hugs
OA of knees since 85 
93 scrambled ankle - PE
98 PE
99 anlke fusion
04 hit by car broken leg, ribs AC joint seperation
RTKR  Dec 1 2005
LTKR. IM rod removal March 16, 2006

Offline xzitbit

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »
thanks a lot for replying......i think ill rest it a bit and maybe take a few more opinions , lets hope for the best...

Offline miss_sporty

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:04 PM »
you could try posting this question again on the cruciates and meniscus sections where people might be able to give you more help.

give it a few weeks and see how it is, as the previous person said ACLs only usually need surgery if the knee is unstable or it is causing other problems. I dont really know about MCL or meniscus so just check with your doctor next time they see you about it and they will advise you.
good luck with it, hope it improves! oh and ice it to get the swelling down. :)
Torn ACL
Hamstring graft reconstruction
Patellar tendon graft reconstruction

support