Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Femoral Derotational Osteotomy  (Read 3694 times)

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« on: October 31, 2008, 05:21:19 AM »
Hi, I am new to this board and just had a tibial derotational osteotomy 3 weeks ago.  I am now condsidering a femoral derotational osteotomy on the opposite leg.  Has anyone had these surgeries, or the femoral derotational osteotomy?  I am wondering how one compares to the other in terms of pain level, recovery, and so forth.  I am very nervous about this procedure.  Any thoughts would be helpful.  Thanks.
10/06/08 right tibial derotation
01/29/09 left femoral derotation

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
Re: Femoral Derotational Osteotomy
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
Hi Jenny,

Welcome to the board! You have come to the right place for info and support. I had my right femur derotated in May. I am back to full activity now. I have a plate and 4 screws holding everything together. It actually wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My recovery went really smooth. Amberle on the board has had her femurs and now her tibia derotated, so she would be an excellent source of information. I would be happy to answer any questions you might have. Feel free to ask.

What is the degree of twist to your femur? I am just curious. Mine was 67 degrees. Who is going to do the surgery? Are they going to use a rod or a blade plate? There aren't many of us twistee's out there so it's always interesting to compare. lol.

Have a good day!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 11:59:40 PM »
Hi, Thanks so much for your response, and offering your help.  I had my right tibia done almost four weeks now, and it was rotated at 50 degrees...I know it didn't show that much on the rotational studies, but was greater when the doc actually did the surgery....  my left femur needs to be rotated 44 degrees, but may be more once the doc gets in there...... 67!  wow!!  I bet you feel sooo much better.  I am happy you are up and mobile now.... I know I did with the tibia.  I go to Dr. Tietge.... is that who you go see?    How bad was the pain with your femur, and how long before you were walking without crutches?  I only get 7 weeks off work, and am not sure I can pull it off.  I have to walk alot for my job.   thanks for listening... Jen

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 12:54:23 AM »
Hi,

No problem. I love this board, and chatting with all the people here.

I do feel soooo much better after being derotated.

I do see Dr. Teitge. I'm from PA though, so it's quite a drive. It's WELL worth it though! He does an AMAZING job. If he is doing your femur you are in the best hands possible. I can't wait to have him do the left femur. As of right now that is scheduled for January 5th. Thats the earliest I could have it done.

The pain was only really unbearable once or twice. Surgery really wasn't bad because of the epidural, and the hospital staff did a great job on regulating my pain. The time it hurt the most was two weeks post op. I was sitting on my couch and my laptop was on another couch to the right. I completely forgot about my leg at the time, becuase it wasn't hurting. I leaned over to grab my laptop and accidentally put weight on my derotated leg. I was only 2 weeks post op and that sent me into spirals of pain. I almost passed out, but I didn't. lol. That was the only time it was really bad. The plate can be really annoying but if I watch how I step and move, then it's not bad. If I step wrong, I can definitely feel it. In general, when I wake up, the first half hour, I limp pretty bad, until I get loosened up. In the morning, and in the evening are when it hurts the most.

I was off crutches at 8 weeks post op. When I was off them, I pretty much ditched them. I did however limp really badly for the first 2 months off crutches. It took me a while to build up muscle again. AND I had to learn how to walk again without limping. That was hard becuase the muscles and bone were in the right place for the first time, but they felt like they were in the wrong place. It took me doing laps of walking in the pool where I didn't have alot of weight to figure out how to walk without limping. For me, it felt like I had to change the way my hip went a little bit. Who knows though. lol.

I'm not sure about your work. Everyone heals at different speeds. I was lucky and healed up pretty quick. Hopefully you will too!

Hope that helped! Have a great night!
Lyndsey

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 03:21:03 AM »
Hi Lyndsey,
Thanks so much for all the information.  I love Dr. Teitge, and only wish I found him alot sooner in life.  I have struggled with knee and ankle problems for 20 years and have seen a million doctors, and the pain finally got to the point where I couldn't partake in sports any more.  I was getting orthotics made to help with the knee pain, and the person who was making my orthotics recommended that I see Dr. Teitge.  How did you find Dr. Teitge all the way in PA?  He is the best. 

I am happy to hear that you had good pain control in the hospital.  I really liked the people there, and loved Lisa especially.. She really helped with my pain control when I had my tibia derotated.  I am going to schedule surgery for my left femur tommorrow.  I am hoping to have it at the begining of January.  Wouldn't it be funny if we were in the hospital at the same time, having the same surgery.     :)

I feel so bad that you forgot about the leg, and had so much pain... ouch  I did that with my tibia, but caught it so the pain wasn't so bad.  It is not hard to do, especially when you start feeling better and have no heavy cast as a reminder. 

I was happy to hear that you were off crutches at week 8!  I will have 5 weeks of work, and will have to use some vacation time for recovery... it will be worth it.  I hope I heal quick like you did !! It is so interesting that you had to learn how to walk again.  I am sure i will be chattin with you about that soon.  I start PT in two weeks.   

I hope we keep in touch.  Have a good night...

Jen

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:50:19 AM »
Hi Jen
Glad to meet you. Really wishing you all the best on your recovery. Do you mind if I ask a few questions? I also have struggled with the alignment issue for 27 years and it caused other injuries/surgeries. Did you have other surgeries prior to this? Also is your right femur within normal ranges which is why he did your right tibia only? Was your injury/pain worse on the right side then? What type of injury/pain did you have?
Its interesting that your rotation was worse than the CT scan. Did Dr. T have an explanation for this?
Once you have enough e-mails on your status you can PM (personal message) people, so if its easier to reply that way to me thats fine too. I don't want to bore others with my info on your post.
Best healing wishes.
3/82 - Medial Synovial Plica removal both knees
9/89 - Lateral Release both knees
3/08 - Reinjury left knee hiking Asia Pac
5/08 - Miserable Malalignment diagnosis
4/08 - 9/08 Five doctors diff. opinions
7/08 - 02/09 - In PT, no chg.
4/09 - Dr. 6 opinion femur & tibia derotation together

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 01:23:14 PM »
Hi Jen,

No problem! I am really lucky I found Dr. T. I swear he was the answer to my prayers! Actually I found him from Cat and Brianne here on the board. When I first came here posting looking for info. I was pretty lost. They helped guide me and told me to contact Dr. T. This was after Cat had her derotation done by Dr. T. She told me he is the best and if I want the best I should go to him. So, I did. lol.

Do your orthotics help? I have two arch supports that really helped me before surgery, but not enough not to do surgery. Now after having my right femur derotated I think I may not need my right one anymore, or at least as much.

I loved Lisa too!!! She was amazing! That would be funny if we were in at the same time! I have mine scheduled for January 5th. Thats the soonest I could get. Dr. T is a very busy guy. lol.

Yep, I sure was glad to be off the crutches too! LOL. I think the worst part of the whole surgery was the first 2 weeks. I couldn't even lift my own leg, I couldn't use any of my hip muscles. Gradually they started to come back. I was getting around on the crutches by swinging my leg along, I just couldn't move it myself. I think it took me 3 weeks before I could get into bed without having someone, or myself, lifting my leg. That for me was the worst part of everything.

Good luck with PT! I did that to pre op. Interestingly enough, I didn't do any post op PT. Dr. T told me I am young and could just go back to normal activity, like riding my horse, and that would build up muscles.

We will definitely keep in touch! I am a KG addict, so I usually check the board like 3 times a day. LOL. I can't help myself!

Have a great day!
Lyndsey

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 01:42:20 AM »
Hi Lyndsey,  I hope you had a good day today....  I was out and about on my crutches all day and I now have blisters on the palms of my hands.... I know,,, wah wah
So my orthotics really didn't do much. I was in the process of having them adjusted and remolded when I went to Dr. T... When I get both legs done, and back to walking again, I wll get some more made.

I scheduled my left femur rotation today, for January 22nd... I need it done earlier so if for any reason you change your surgery date, let me know.... : )   Well it looks like we wont be in the hospital at the same time : (   Btw.. did you have the homemade cookies at the hospital?

I hope you have a good night... free of pain : )

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 01:48:41 AM »
Hi Formerly active,

Hope you are well.  I don't know what the rotation was on my right femur.. I basically just let Dr. T sort out how to fix that leg.  It was causing me the greatest issues with recurrent knee dislocations, and pain so bad, I had to quit all sports.  I know I am so happy I had the rotation, and would do it again in a second.  I struggled for years, and went through so many doctors and stints at PT... with no success...I did not have any surgeries before this one, but I can tell you I had some soctors suggest other surgeries...I  just never did them

What type of issues are you having with your leg/knee?

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Crooked and Twisted!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2008, 04:17:50 AM »
Jen,

My day was pretty good. I bathed my 3 horses with the help of my best friend. I am trying to do as much as I can while I still can before surgery. Unfortunately, my activity level means the higher the activity level, the higher the pain in my twisted knee, and the more irritated my plate gets. Oh well, only a while left to go! Thats awful you have blisters from the crutches. Do you have crutch buddies? I bought them online and they are the best! I love them! They are fleece covers for the underarms and the handles of crutches.

January 22, thats awesome! I am glad you have a date! I will, hopefully, not be changing my date, but if something awful happens and I am forced to, I will let you know. I can't wait to have mine done, thats for sure. I DID have the homemade cookies! As a matter of fact, since I had such a long drive home, 8 hours, the cooks made a whole bunch of them and put them on a platter for me and my family to take for the ride home.  ;D They were amazing! I think they gave us dozens of cookies! LOL! I LOVE that hospital! As goofy as that sounds. lol.

Hope you have a good night too!
Lyndsey

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2008, 05:28:51 AM »
Hi Jen
Thanks for your posting. I will PM you, but you might not be able to reply back, but I'll send you my e-mail. I don't want to hog on your post.

Sounds like you are doing really well and so brave also to schedule #2. Sounds like you have a great attitude.

I'll be in touch and best healing wishes

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 05:25:05 PM »
I had some PM's sent to me, I think in regards to this post. However, I wanted to let you know, I am unable to respond to PM's... I think I need a minimum number of posts?  not sure.... does anyone know.  Jen

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 01:21:13 AM »
Hi Jen
Yes you are right you need at least 20 posts to change your micro status. Just keep posting! I know at least one other person has been trying to get in touch with you.

Thank you very much for your supportive e-mails. I sincerely appreciate it. You have a great attitude and I look forward to hearing about your healing.

Best healing wishes.   

Offline jennylynn

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 03:30:15 AM »
Hey, thanks so much for the help.  I think I have reached 20!  I will see what happens...  If you have any questions at any time, let me know...  Im in week 5 and actually feeling great.... I will see once I dump the crutches how walking goes!  Keep me updated on your situation....

jen

Offline FormerlyActive

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »
Hi Jen
Just so many questions, not sure where to start. Do you know what your rotation is on your left femur that you will have derotated? Do you have pain and dislocation on that one also? What about driving since you had your right tibia done, when will you be able to drive again? Did you or the doctor's office take some before pictures?

With your right tibia, did you have foot problems in addition to the knee?

Not sure what all to ask, just appreciate any info. Thanks. Best healing wishes.

support