Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: blood test results back  (Read 2111 times)

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Someday
blood test results back
« on: August 13, 2003, 07:56:42 PM »
Hi Everyone,
In Oct. 01 I had a HTO that never healed. In Mar. 03 I had a surgery that included redoing that HTO with a bone graft and installing an external brace bolted to my leg.
A CT scan showed little to no bone healing. I had blood samples taken to try to find out if I have some desease that prevents bone healing. They tested for rheumatoid arthritis and gout. My test for rhuematoid arthritis came back saying the RF factor was negative meaning I don't have that. The other 2 tests came back as normal also.

I really don't know what the other tests were. I heard the results over the phone and didn't really understand the medical talk. I didn't think it was important to know all the details so I didn't push it.

But anyway, they said to ask my OS what tests I should have done from here to see if they can diagnose me correctly.
In the meantime I'm useing something on my leg every day for 20 mins. a day that is supposed to promote bone growth. It is an ultrasound device that sends sound waves or something into the fracture.

So we'll see how that goes. I'm seeing my OS in about 1 1/2 wks. so I'll ask him about further tests then.

I know alot of people are going through a lot of issues with their knees lately here and they are all in my thoughts and prayers. Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)

Offline enuff81020

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • User's Text
Re: blood test results back
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2003, 08:34:38 PM »
Hi Larry,

i had negative results to those tests as well--I had one positive to the Epstein Barr--which indicated that sometime in my life I had mono but it wasn't the present (??)  anyway, my pcp told me that the tests were only conclusive if they were positive.  Positive results indicate hands down that the condition is present.  Negative basically means that that test at that moment in time didn't show it--but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

It would be nice of they could find a test that was conclusive.  I hope that your os has an idea of where to go and that the work you are doing will help that bone to mend.

Hugs, Sylvia
Both kneesOA.
Scope on rt knee,9/00;2/01
scope w/ LR and debridement rt knee 2/02
left knee same5/02
Patellar problems
LeftTKR12/16/02
Right TKR7/14/03
Complications MUA 8/14/03
R TKR revisio

Offline Janet

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2003, 10:37:55 PM »
Larry:

Well, it's good news that you the tests were negative. But that doesn't give you an answer, does it? Hopefully the ultrasound will help and your OS will have more ideas when you see him. Keep us posted.

Janet
Torn quad tendon repair & VMO advancement 4/99, MUA with LOA 10/99, Patella baja and arthrofibrosis, LR & medial release & LOA 5/01, LOA & chondroplasty 6/03,TKR on 11/06, MUA 12/06. From perfect knees to a TKR in 7 years, all from a fall on a wet floor...and early undiagnosed scar tissue.

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 05:16:38 AM »
Larry, Ive been thinking of you and wondering about your test results.  I guess its good that they were negative, in a way, but you still dont know whats going on.  Your appt is this week?  I hope your doc helps, let us know what goes on.

marriah
May 02 nondisplaced spiral fracture, rt leg, below knee,incompetant dr.,now I have a piece of bone sticking up at the top of tibia, scope Nov 02...July 10, 03 had osteotomy,a plate,6 screws,ACL recon

Offline Marriah

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • I Love Le-Lu!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 06:01:17 PM »
Hi Larry, just wondering what happened at your OS appt.  Have you had any further tests done, or any new info?

m
May 02 nondisplaced spiral fracture, rt leg, below knee,incompetant dr.,now I have a piece of bone sticking up at the top of tibia, scope Nov 02...July 10, 03 had osteotomy,a plate,6 screws,ACL recon

Offline lam651

• Forum Faithful
  • Someday
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 06:33:32 PM »
Hi Marriah
I faxed my test results to my OS prior to my last appointment. At the appointment he didn't have much to say about the issue. He said it was a shame that the results were inconclusive. when I told him my GP said to ask him what I should do next , he suggested that I see a rhuematologist.

I'm finding out that these inconclusive tests are not only common, but worthless. From what I've been able to figure out inconclusive tests don't rule out anything. So I'm right where I was before. I have something, everyone agrees on that, but no one knows what.

My OS said he didn't think it was crucial at this time that I do any more testing right now. I'm undecided what to do. I feel like I have a lot going on right now and I don't know if seeing a rhuematologist will help me when I won't really be able to let him treat me right now. Because of my still healing left tibia, I wouldn't be able to take any drugs that he might prescribe to help me.

So, this whole issue might wait for 6 mos. to a year until I finish my knee issues. Maybe they can retest me and learn something then. Have a good knee day, Larry
arthoscopy('99),HTO(tibia didn't heal 10/01),knee braces(7/02),HTO w/ex.fix. to repair tibial non-union(3/03), remove ex. fix.(9/03),HTO other leg(12/03)