Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MRSA question.  (Read 743 times)

Offline tannerweisz

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
MRSA question.
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:22:41 PM »
I just read another post about MRSA and it brought up a question.  About 4-5 years ago I got bit by a spider and ended up loosing a golfball-baseball sized chunk out of my thigh.. They said the reason it got so bad was because I had MRSA. I didn't really look into it too much because after they cut out the dead skin and muscle it didn't give me any more problems..

I'm due to have ACLr and some meniscus repair done in Dec. I didn't mention the MRSA to my OS because frankly I forgot about it. Is this something I need to inform them of, and is it something that could cause an issue with the surgery/recovery?

Offline UK Girl !

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRSA question.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »
Definitely ! They will check for it and treat as necessary pre op - they shouldn't do the op if you are not clear ! It could have disasterous consequences !

good luck !
1978 - ruptured acl and all cartalidge removed.
several debridements over years
TKR 10TH JULY 2006 http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=28257.0  Aug 07 patellar maltracking - more physio! Still pain - but so much better !
BIOMET AGC  TKR  (with 10 yr warranty !)

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: MRSA question.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 07:39:57 PM »
If it's been that long since you've had an infection, your risk is very, very low.  Doesn't hurt to mention it though.  Because MRSA is so ubiquitous in the general population, your orthopaedist will cover you for it anyway.

~dig