Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Pain Advice Please!  (Read 904 times)

Offline designt1

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Pain Advice Please!
« on: October 30, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
Well, have to write a book for my first post :D

I really needing some advice on my knee pain and exercising.  However, you'll need a little bit of history about my knees first.  It's a lot of information but I feel I need to tell it so people can understand my situation.

This January I went to an OS because for no apparent reason, my right knee swelled up.  No pain, just swelling.  He took xrays and everything appeared fine, said it was probably from a previous injury, gave me a shot of cortisone and told me to come back if it swelled back up.  About three weeks later, the same knee swelled right back up.  Went in to see him and he ordered a MRI which I had to put off for an additional week because I was going on a cruise with my wife and family.  We got back, got the MRI, and everything is fine!  So he drew some fluid off the knee for testing and gave me another shot of cortisone.

In April, the same exact thing happened to the left knee.  Went in to see him, xray fine, so he just drew some fluid and did a cortisone shot.  Fluid came back fine said I shouldn't have anymore problems with it.  Everything was ok until the end of June, when the left knee swelled up again.  Once again, drew fluid (this time it was red) and did a cortisone shot. 

My Mom told me that a friend of the family has been an OS for 20 some years and to give him a call, so I did just that.  Right off the bat he said that they should have run some blood work on me since there was no real reason to think this was a mechanical issue with the knee since I was not experiencing any pain and hadn't injured them.  He gave me a list of tests to take to my GP to get done.  These tests were for Rheumatoid Factor, Lupus, Lyme, etc.  Everything came back normal except my titer for Lyme was elevated.  My GP suggested I see a Rheumatologist.

So I did just that, went to see a Rheumatologist and he ordered more blood work, including a western blot for Lyme Disease.  He told me the tests would take about a week and he would give me a call.  Well, two weeks went by and I called him.  My western blot test for Lyme came back positive, but he still felt this was RA and wanted to treat me with DMARD's.  Uhhh, how about no!

I got another western blot done and it came back highly positive.  So, consensus is...I have Lyme Disease!  That would explain the knee swelling!

I go back to the OS I've been seeing just to get some fluid drawn off the knee since it's been swollen back up for at least 3 weeks.  NO CORTISONE SHOT!!!  I was very specific about that.  Again, he drew off another syringe full of bloody synovial fluid.  Then he tells me that he doesn't think that Lyme affects the knees, I told him otherwise and he told me he was going to send the fluid off for Lyme testing.  Well, it came back positive.  He referred me to an Infectious Disease doctor who put me on 28 days of antibiotics.  I have also seen another doctor for Lyme and I will be on treatment longer than 28 days. 

Well, since starting the antibiotics, my knee had been feeling like absolute hell so I figured I'd go in to see the OS and have him draw some fluid off to relieve the swelling a little bit.  Well, nothing this time, no fluid at all.  He has been mentioning putting a scope in my knee since day one, but I am avoiding that, at least from him.  I call our family friend and he told me to wait until I am all done with Lyme treatment before I do anything.  He also said that it's probably the synovial membrane itself that is inflamed now instead of a buildup of synovial fluid.

Since the last decent amount of fluid was taken out, I have lost some range of motion, especially if I try to straighten my leg...ohh does it hurt!!!  I can only bend my knee to about a 90 degree angle as well, nothing past that.  I favor the knee so much that it causes my hip to get out of alignment so that and my lower back also hurt.  I have to take 600mg ibuprofen in the morning and at night if I even want to think of functioning or sleeping.  I also feel that my left leg is losing strength since I can't do much exercise and my left quad feels more flimsy that the one on my right leg, almost like it's shrinking.

I've tried icing, NSAIDS, and it doesn't seem to work.  I can ride my Mom's bike around the block a couple of times and it really makes a difference, but the next day it just seems to hurt worse for a day.

My questions to you knee experts is, should I be walking on this, using a brace or using crutches?  I use an ace bandage and the compression does seem to help out some.   Should I try to go to PT to see if I can get some strength back into my legs to help out my knee? 

I have a 3 month old son and it's been hell just trying to bend down to pick him up off his play mat.  He is the light of my life and I need to be able to keep up with him as he gets older.  So please, if you know anything you can think of that will help out my knee, that advice will be greatly appreciated.

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee Pain Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »
Hello!

First off, I want to welcome you to the boards! :D So many great people on here (they keep me sane lol).

I think the general rule is that if it hurts, stay off of it as much as possible so you don't end up hurting something else (or making your knee worse). I think it would be safe to do some quad strenghtening excercises to help aleviate some of the pressure on your knees. I've only been to PT after an OS referal.

Sorry I'm not a lot of help (I really only know tendonitis/plica band syndrome). Hopefully someone else can help out more. But best wishes on a recovery and I hope this works out for you before your son starts walking and then you have to chase after him!

Laura  8)
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!