Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 2 1/2 weeks post-op lateral release and still in pain  (Read 1071 times)

Offline MissClara

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
2 1/2 weeks post-op lateral release and still in pain
« on: October 30, 2008, 01:07:22 AM »
I hope someone can help me. I had knee surgery on 10/9 to remove debris and help my kneecap back into the groove with a lateral release as well. The first week after the surgery my knee actually felt pretty darn good and I was so excited at what was to come. I thought finally after 4 years I might be pain free. Then, about a week ago the pain seemed to be getting worse. Now it is awful. It is front and back of knee, down my calf and my foot is staying cold. The ortho doc has me on hydrocodone 10/325 1 every 6-8 hours which isn't helping hardly at all now. Right after surgery I was on 1 10/325 every 4 hours and it seemed to be fine but then like I said the pain is worse now. I am wearing a metal knee brace and will be for 6 more weeks plus PT which is awful! I have called the ortho doc today but haven't heard back yet. I told them the pain medicine wasn't helping much. Is it normal to still be needing pain meds 2 weeks out? Can anyone give me an idea about their pain meds and how long you were on them? I know it will get better with time......it has to right ?!?
NOW  I went to the ortho doc this morning and ooooh what a complete disappointment . This doctor has been nothing but nice to me the other times I saw him. Today he was a complete jerk (and that's being nice)! He came in and said "it hasn't been a month, what's wrong with you", when I tried to tell him that my leg was throbbing and my foot was tingly and cold, he said "well it's cold outside have you tried 2 pairs of socks". The he asked me how the brace was doing and I told him it hurt to wear it and he said "then don't wear it.".....what?, just last week he told my husband and me that I needed to wear it anytime I was up and about. OMG I don't know what changed. Then I asked for a refill on my pain medicine and he refused saying he gave me 40 last week. Okay I thought, as I was crying here this man has cut me open and now doesn't give a crap if I'm suffering. He acted like I was a complete inconvenience and then said well maybe you have a blood clot and sent me to the vascular center for an ultrasound which did not show anything. But what now??? I am suffering and there is no one to help. I don't have a Primary Care right now because of insurance changes. Can you all help me with any suggestions at all? I'm so sad and angry at the same time right now. Thanks in advance

Jan40

Re: 2 1/2 weeks post-op lateral release and still in pain
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 12:33:09 PM »
Hi

You are not alone, I have had Chondraplasty and Lateral Release to both knees in the last 14 weeks, and I am in more pain with my right knee that I had done first 14 weeks ago than I am with my left knee that I had done 4 weeks ago.

It is still very early days for you and believe me the pain will only get worse before it gets better. I have been told and read stories on this site that it can take 6mths to a year before you start to feel better but everyone heals and copes differently.

Have you started physio yet because that is vital and the earlier you start the better (although it does kill).

I certainly would not put up with the attitude of your OS, can you see anyone else?

Jan

Offline MissClara

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 02:14:43 PM »
Thanks Jan40 for the advice.  This OS was my second opinion.  The surgery I had 2 1/2 years ago was done by another OS and after that surgery I had not 1% relief and since then every time I saw him I told him how badly it hurt and that if he needed to do surgery again go ahead but he always blew me off with cortisone shots and Ultram.  So I went to the OS I have now as my second opinion.  He was very aggressive in his treatment.  I only saw him once before the surgery and yesterday was the 3rd time I've been to his office.  Are you still on pain meds?  If so, what do you take?  I just believe the OS was a complete jerk yesterday.  I think I left there in shock over how he talked to me.  I was already very upset over the pain then add the verbal abuse on top of that and I just couldn't take anymore. I'm afraid to even call his office back tomorrow or Monday or whenever to ask for a refill.  I really need it and from everything I've read most people are on pain meds far beyond the 2 1/2 week mark.  Take care

Jan40

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:32:08 PM »
Hi

Soz to be thick did you have your op 2 and half years ago or weeks?

It seems awfull that you just have to put up with such an vile man, only thing I can suggest is get a 3rd opion.

Are you in the uk?

I am currently taking Tramadol and Co-Dryadamol, every 4 hours they do seem to ease the pain for a short period of time, but sometimes it is just impossible to get comfortable.

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 05:43:33 PM »
Hi there,

What you have been describing I've had after a LR too.  The pain is usually worse at 2-3 weeks for some reason.  Make sure you are icing every hour for 15-20 minutes or so whenever you can.  Elevate the knee above your heart as much as you can too.  You should call back and talk to a nurse or other office person to get a refill.  If you need a pill every 6 hours 40 barely lasts a week.  The trobbing and cold foot get better when you ice and elevate as much as possible.  It partly from swelling I believe.  I think the doc was a jerk too.  Where some of them get the idea they can talk to someone that way it beyond me.  I also found that if I took 800mg of Advil or similar along with the narcotic pain med it helped more.  There were times when none of it cut it at all.  Those are rough times.  Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline MissClara

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 07:28:35 PM »
Sorry if I confused you.  I had my first knee surgery 2 1/2 years ago but had the LR 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I don't know what good it would do to call his nurse because she told me she couldn't do anything without his authorization.  And no I'm not in the UK, I'm in the US, south to be specific.  My whole leg is throbbing today and considering I haven't had any pain medicine since Tuesday night, it's not going to get better :(.  I'm just so frustrated with how I was treated.  I can't figure out why his attitude changed completely towards me.  I don't think a doctor should be able to refuse pain medicine after surgery, it's almost cruel to make someone suffer when you know good and well that they need it.  Take care

Offline rkneepain

• Forum Faithful
  • I pray My cat doesn't trip me on my crutches!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 07:55:16 PM »
Hey there!
                I'm so sorry to here your not feeling well, and the doc.... well I understand!  I am seeing a new one on mon!  I am 11 wks post-op lateral release/vmo imbrication and I don't like my OS!  He keeps telling me everything is in my head!  He doesn't understand why I'm so painful and not walking.  He finally diagnosed me with RSD, and every time I go see him he gets frustrated with me, and I think something is terribly wrong with my knee if I can't walk or bend very much at this point...plust pt has run out thanks to insurance.  Hang in there, Ice, an anti inflamatory if you can take them, and please see if you can get to someone else!  They can always bill you later :)  Please update us on how you are doing!

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
Hi,

If the pain gets too out of control, visit the ER.  Normally I would say call your GP, but you are changing insurances?  Is there maybe an immediate care clinic you could visit?  At least to get your pain under control.  Of course the more stressed you feel, the more it hurts too.  I do know from experience most OS docs won't give out too much pain medication.  Not really sure why that is, but that's they way it is sometimes.  After my last knee surgery I had to go back to my GP to get pain meds so I can funciton during the day.

Who's to say why docs can turn into prigs after surgery.  I sure had one like that.  I went to someone else and never looked back.

Let us know how you are doing.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:25 PM »
I am sorry to hear that you're in pain. Your doc is just being a prick, like most OS, he wasn't that interested in the last course at med school called "after care". They simply don't understand what it is like to be in pain (like most of us for years) so they simply don't know how  to deal with you and unfortunately some of them, instead of trying to help, turn their backs. It's just easier.

I agree with the previous post, if you are in pain, do whatever you have to be relieved. I had my lateral release 6 weeks ago and I was in more pain (read a lot of pain) 2 weeks post than the first few days just after my surgery. Rest as much as you can and ICE.

I hope it will get better, let us know how you're doing.

Best,
N

PS: I signed up last week, I would like to thank everybody for  their replies, it really is important to share and it has made me feel better.

support