Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Just need to Vent a bit here  (Read 1102 times)

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Just need to Vent a bit here
« on: October 28, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
Now this is nothing knee related but I still want to Vent a bit. My kids where outside playing football and my oldest (15) tackled my youngest(12) and hurt his hand. The next day Mikeys hand was all swollen up and he couldnt move his fingers so I took him to the Immediate Care center and they did some x-rays. They came back and said that nothing looked broke and sent him home. I went to Wall-Mart and got him a brace just to keep it still. Well they told me that they would send the x-rays to a Radiology place (the same office that my OS is in) and then when they got them back they would call me. Well here we are 10 days later and the swelling is not going down and he cant move his fingers and he has brusing all over his plam. So I call my OS (that i see for my knee) and he tells me to bring him in. Well it turns out that he has a frature that runs accross the top of all his fingers (except the first one). So we ask if that office ever got the X-rays so he goes and cheks for me. Turns out that they where sent back to the immediate care LAST THURSDAY (3 days after we went there) with a note that he needed to get an appt to have it looked at cause it appeared that there was a break!!!!! So my OS put him in a swimmers cast (never even hear of one of those untill today and i was a swimmer LOL) and he as an appt to go back next week. The only good thing was that my OS told me that since i was smart and put it in that cheap WalMart wrist brace it is healing welll, better than it would have been if it had been left to heal without that support!.
Sorry about this but i just had to vent I am SOOOOO pissed at that place they should have called me and let me know what they found out when they sent out the x-rays to be seen especially when they came back to them saying that the paitent had broken bones and needed to be followed up with!
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Re: Just need to Vent a bit here
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:06:32 PM »
Thank goodness you were proactive. Just think about all the people who would have gotten the same word you did about your son's hand & taken it for gospel. Somebody's losing sight of the Hippocratic oath...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 04:24:56 AM »
Congrats on your resourcefulness. So many people believe they can't do for themselves and when the healthcare providers screw up ( they are human,too) these people panic and then whine to high heaven.

good job.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline rkneepain

• Forum Faithful
  • I pray My cat doesn't trip me on my crutches!
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 04:35:59 AM »
Cheryl....

My goodness!  What is going on over there?  Just when you think you have enough on your plate!  I hope he is ok...good thinking, we never have time to take care of ourselves it seems ha-ha...how are your knees?  Oh yeah my dad broke his ankle of course this was 20yrs ago but they said it was just a sprain...finally after a few days of changing pretty colors and excruciating pain a different OS finally figured out it was broken in a few spots ouch!!!  He stepped in a pot hole.  So anyways....I wish you and your family healing wishes!!!!

Sending Sunshine......

Karen........

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:34:41 AM »
Glad you got your son taken care of.  In my opinion, fwiw, the places you'll typically get the WORST medical care is those quicky, open 24-hrs-for-nonemergent-stuff places.  Orthopaedics isn't easy stuff, and most primary care docs don't get enough training in ortho as it is.  Couple that with seeing patients you'll never see again...and then tie in the fact that another doc will get the radiology report, and that doc prob'ly won't know how he was treated in the first place.  Well, I'm not surprised in the least that the fracture was missed OR that there was no follow-up. 

But YOU, being a good mom, took care of it.  Kudos to you.  :)

~dig

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
Cheryl....

My goodness!  What is going on over there?  Just when you think you have enough on your plate!  I hope he is ok...good thinking, we never have time to take care of ourselves it seems ha-ha...how are your knees?  Oh yeah my dad broke his ankle of course this was 20yrs ago but they said it was just a sprain...finally after a few days of changing pretty colors and excruciating pain a different OS finally figured out it was broken in a few spots ouch!!!  He stepped in a pot hole.  So anyways....I wish you and your family healing wishes!!!!

Sending Sunshine......

Karen........

Oh man my knees have been HORRIBLE for the past 2 days and not having heat where I work EVERY MORNING this week is not helping. My knees get cold and man does that make them hurt. I know that I am in the south (NC) but when it is 30 degrees outside and only 60 when you have to sit at a desk in a little trailer with a wall of windows that just let the cold in it is really cold in here. Heck even my mouse on my computer is cold to the touch and I am dreading answering the phone for the first time this morning. >:(
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 06:51:23 PM »
Anytime you injure something like that it's best to just go straight to an orthopedic surgeon. Walk-in clinics and even some ERs don't have orthopedic surgeons or radiologists on staff 24 hours a day and they are the experts at reading x-rays. If it's a bad injury and off hours go to the ER first and then call your own doctor as soon as possible, otherwise wait until the next day. I think it's a waste of time going to anyone other than an OS first. Most orthos will make emergency appointments, especially if you're an established patient.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:42:15 PM »
Cheryl - a friend of mine worked at a desk in a trailer at a construction site.  She said it was always cold in there (she's in Wisconsin).  She said she created her own fashion statement by wearing leg warmers around her knees.  It kept her knees nice and warm.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

support