Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: need some advise as to what to do with my knees  (Read 1374 times)

Offline cloggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
need some advise as to what to do with my knees
« on: October 28, 2008, 05:57:15 PM »
I am 42 years old and had an ACL in my right knee in 1999.  This was always my better knee after that until last spring when I had loads of problems with my left knee, resulting in my seeing os that carried out the op on my rt knee.  He suggested bilateral arthroscopys as there were other problems with my right knee with lots of clicking crunching and aching.

This was carried out in the summer with a plica being removed from the left and the meniscus being trimmed there.  what was done on the right i dont know.

Since then i have had loads of problems with both knees which are steadily becoming completley intolerable.  The major one now being my right one.

I went to see os 3 weeks ago who after mri scans said that he wants to do arthroscopy on right then 6 months later on the left, but because of the last one making matters worse i am reluctant to go that way.  I used to kick box run 15 miles a week and ride horses for at least 3 hours a day, now i can hardly walk and am constantly in pain.

I have a bakers cyst in the rt knee with a number of loose bodies in it, the patella is thin with irregular articular surface, there is another plica and there is slight myxoid change affecting the medial meniscus.

In the left i have another bakers cyst small osteophytes involving the medial fermoral condyle.  there is medial femoral condyle cartilage damage with a small chrondral defect.  The left patell is thin and involving the medial facet quite irregular.

I have said no to op and asked for other suggestions, he has suggested 3 injections giving at once of Euflexxa.  I have noticed it is licensed for one each week for 3 weeks, can anyone suggest anything else and is it safe to have such a dosage at on time, and how long does it last?

Cloggs

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
Re: need some advise as to what to do with my knees
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:38:24 AM »
I'm afraid there isn't much else to do if you won't allow any surgery except to try homeopathic remedies, braces and toughing it out.

Why are you saying no to surgery at this point ?
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline cloggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:28:24 AM »
I'm afraid there isn't much else to do if you won't allow any surgery except to try homeopathic remedies, braces and toughing it out.

Why are you saying no to surgery at this point ?

After the last surgery and the rehab necessary i dont have any faith that this will be any better this time.  All people i have spoken with who have had arthroscopy of the knee have gone through the pain and discomfort that i went through, i have not found anyone yet with anything positive to say about this surgery.  Most importantly that it has improved their quality of life, my last surgery has made my knees unbearable.

Interestingly physios that i have spoken to are of the opinion that the little intervention the better with knees, perhaps they too have seen little success from arthroscopy. Has anyone had any success from this op and if so how long does it last

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »
Arthroscopy....how helpful it is depends on what is being done.  Degenerative conditions are gonna get worse no matter what you do, and arthroscopy can give a little relief for short periods of time.  If you have osteophytes, you have arthritis.  Arthroscopy can't make that better.  But cleaning out the free bodies and cleaning out the joint can relieve some discomfort, minimize your swelling, and (hopefully) get the posterior cysts to go away.

The injections are fine.  They might work for you.  One week apart is the norm for hyaluronate injections.  I got relief, but the result was short-lived. 

~dig

Offline cloggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:03 PM »
thanks for reply.  would it be just as good sto apirate the cysts from the outside as there is no guarantee that this could be done arthroscopically.  I without doubt have arthritis in my left knee and some signs in the right.  does anyone had any success with human growth hormones or would this make no difference.

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 08:58:06 PM »
Posterior cysts *can* be aspirated, but it's kind of a risky area, and it will come back.  When the joint is cleaned up arthroscopically, the cyst doesn't have to be aspirated.  It'll typically go away as a result of the clean-up job.  Sometimes cysts will go away after cortisone injections too.

~dig

Offline cloggs

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 09:19:29 PM »
Hi dig  thanks for that just trying to make the correct choices as going back to os on wednesday. and since i saw him last managed to fall whilst leading my horse ( the horse saved me! ) and rt knee hurts worse than ever so no doubt done something else!  Just a bit fed up with all of this and after reading other peoples successes and failures with surgery it does tend to put you off a bit.  Just thought i could get quick fix ha ha

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 04:50:45 AM »
I understand what you are saying. and please know that too many posters go into detail regarding their difficulties.
That's why this board is relevant....those who breeze through a TKR do not need to talk about their success, they are too busy getting on with their lives.

I will leave you with this :

To deny surgery guarantees your condition will not improve but get worse.
To have surgery gives you a shot at normalcy.

Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon