Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee Dislocation/Cartilage  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Shinigamix

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee Dislocation/Cartilage
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:07:31 PM »
I'm 19 years old.
About a little over a year ago. I dislocated my knee. I was riding my bike, fell off, put all my weight into my left leg when it was locked in place. I popped my knee out out, and then landed on it to pop it back in place. I went to the hospital, and they just gave me some pain killers and told me to rest off it for about 1-2 months. I went to a doctors about 4 weeks later. He told while that I did dislocate my knee. It wasn't bad cause the knee didn't move far before I landed on it to pop it back in place. He also told me, the major concern was that I had torn cartilage on the bottom part of my knee. The top of the Tibia where the knee cap rest while standing I guess. He told me that I could let it heal on it's own or get surgery. I choose to let it heal. Here I am 1 year later. It doesn't hurt, but I can sometimes pop it while sitting down on the computer. If I run, it can pop out if I run to fast/hard. A lot of the times, when I try to sit criss-cross, or bring my foot to my pelvis area. It pops out.  Even when I'm just walking it can pop out of place. I've been wearing a brace for almost 7 months now. Sometimes it pops when I have the brace on. I don't like the fact that it can pop out sometimes from simple motions. My dad wants to put me on his insurance but, I don't know if I should get surgery to replace the torn cartilage. If I do would this help keep the knee stable, and prevent it from popping out anymore? As if it were never damaged in the first place? What should I do? Should I get surgery?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:11:47 PM by Shinigamix »

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
Re: Knee Dislocation/Cartilage
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 05:24:37 PM »
Hi,
when you say your knee 'pops out' - is it dislocating? How do you get it back in? If it is dislocating then you definitely need it looked at.
Have you had any physiotherapy?
It may not be dislocating but the popping about could be a piece of torn cartilage getting stuck in the joint space and interfering with normal joint motion. Its also possible you did more damage than just torn cartilage when you fully dislocated it. Meniscus is the cartilage covering the ends of the bones - only a small area of meniscus has a blood supply and can heal by itself, also if its popping about it could be tearing more.

One way or another my advice is this: get to your primary care doctor (your GP) and ask for a referral to an orthopediac surgeon, explain what youve said here and ask them to look into it. I dont know what is wrong, but I do know if you dont address knee problems they can and do often get worse. It sounds to me like your getting worse, you had the injury over a year ago but have been in a brace for 7 months? Thats no way to live your life.
You may not even need surgery, but what you do need is a proper diagnosis, dont ignore it.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app