Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Lateral release - pain  (Read 2347 times)

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Lateral release - pain
« on: October 25, 2008, 11:42:22 PM »
hello,

I had my lateral release 5 weeks ago. And I am concerned about two things: 1. Is it normal that I can't get up (from a chair) with my weight balanced on both legs? When I do try the patella hurts a lot. Same thing goes for going up the stairs, when I put my full weight on the leg... Getting up hurts more now than it did before the surgery...

2. I saw my surgeon yesterday and I asked him if it's normal that my knee is still swollen and he said yes. How long does it take for the knee to get its normal volume back???

I hope somebody can help..

Offline thevoice

• Regular Poster
Re: Lateral release - pain
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 04:51:47 PM »
I am 4 months post op and from what you have said had same concerns at your stage of recovery. I saw big improvements between month 2 - 3 and have made some small progress in the last month. I have read it takes up to 18 months to see full benfits. Hang in there.

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:22:53 PM »
Hi,
   I'm 3 months after my LR surgery. I have had a lot of swelling and pain, like you say when getting up from a seated position and going up and down the stairs. I'm only now starting to get movement in my knee and i'm finding it a little easier to bend. I was with my OS last week and he said that it will take 6 months to a year to fully recover from the surgery.
  Are you getting physio? If you are not you should get your doctor to refer you to a PT.
2006 Meniscus repair Right Knee
2007 Cartlidge removed nd debriment Right Knee
2008 LR Left Knee

Jan40

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 08:21:15 PM »
Hi
I am 3 months post op from LR on my right knee and 3 weeks post op on left knee.

I still can not bend right knee and struggle to get up and down and stairs are a nightmare. Saw physio and OS last week and both have said that an LR is invasive surgery and it can take a good 12 months to get over it.

Jan

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 12:42:34 PM »
Take it easy it can take from 6 months to a year to recover from the LR surgery completely. Dont push things or you might make things worse by not letting it heal propery. I have had a LR done on my left knee 10 years ago and just had the second LR done on the right 6 months ago and that one is causing problems (but that is a long story)
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 03:08:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's reassuring to hear that itís normal. Yes, I am seeing a PT. I do a lot of quad sets and straight leg raising, because I can do them with out any pain. I manage to do some front lunges, but the one leg balance is too painful as soon as I bend the knee a bit more. I am going to try to go to the pool this week and see how I get along in the water.

Which exercise was most beneficial to you?

Best,
N

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 05:11:54 PM »
I found the pool a great help and also started doing some stationery bike. The bike is a good way of getting good exercise for your knee and it's a non weight baring exercise. I find it hard to do a lot of the exercises the physio is giving me as i find them very painful. Like you i do straight leg raises, static quads and a few exercises to keep the hamstring in shape.
Hope your feeling better
Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 05:26:21 PM »
Just one question about the quads sets and leg raises, is it better to be on your back (flat out) or can they be done in a seating position?

Offline karen smith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 08:56:27 PM »
I have had lsteral releases on both knees.  You should be further on by now although everyone is different.  Mine hurt for about 1 month but the swelling only lasted about 2 weeks.  I was down to 1 ccrutch after 2 weeks.  What you mustn'y do though is try to do too much.  Exercise is good but the more you stand on it the more the leg will swell, or won't go down.  You have to find a happy medium.  Listen to your therapists and don't do more than they say.  Doing too much could set you back with unnecessary excessive swelling. 

Good luck

Karen

Offline nadialife

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 09:51:18 PM »
Hi karen,

That's exactly why I am worried, I feel I am behind and should be able to do more.

best,

N

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 01:23:57 AM »
I know that I am behind with my recovery belive me I only wish that i was as far along as you are :(
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Jan40

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 12:31:06 PM »
Hi

Please don't try and rush things like I did it definately sets up back, I am having so much pain and trouble with my right knee and yet the left which I have only just had done is coming along just great.

Jan

Offline Cynthia1982

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2008, 11:53:24 PM »
Hi
  I do most of the quad sets and straight leg raises on my back. Have you been told to sit on table or a chair that is high enough off the ground that your feet can't touch the floor. The exercise i have been given is to but your good leg in front of the bad leg and use your bad leg to try and lift your good leg. Aparently this will strengthen your quads and help improve the amount of bend you geet in your knee.
  As for recoevery i feel i'm not as far on as i should be either, but it's important to remember that everybody has different healing power some people might be futher on and fully recovered after 3 months and some people might take the year. It's very important to listen to your body and not to push yourself to far as i found out the hard way this week. I thought my knee was far enough along to go for a run. After about 5 mins into the run my knee started to ache but i didn't give in (stupid me) and kept going until my knee gave way and i felt something tear. I went back to my OS and he did a scan and the ligament that was healing had torn more, which has set me back a few weeks as i'm on crutches again and NWB :(
  So please what ever you do don't over do things
Cynthia
2008 LR Left Knee

Offline flychick420xx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
well i know these questions have probably been asked over and over. but i am 8 days post-op and really until about 6 days out I wasn't in much pain and was already trying to stretch out a bit. Now everytime I move my leg its like immediate pain that shoots down into my leg but its almsot not sharp pain but the only way i can explain it is that wehn i move it .. it feels like the muscle is so tight that when it moves its contracting and causing the pain. its absolutely horrible the pain medicine does nothing. and i jsut want to know if its supposed to feel like that. i never really never the crutches i used one for like 3 days just for support but dont need them i can walk with a limp and can't get down the stairs regularly i have to do one leg at a time but if i hold on i can do steps regular but i almost fly down when my surgery leg goes to bend. But i am seeing the doctor today in stead of 14 days out because i am in pain and not being helped . i started usuing a heat pad tonights ago for bed time because i can't lay my leg on the bed or move it at all without it hurting to bad. Haas anyone felt this same pain i am just trying to make sure i am not alone or anything. It even feels like when i walk and i try to explain it lik the knee cap is moving around when i bend it then striaghten it back out it feels like it flopping aroudn in there.? Any ideas... or im just over exaggerating

Jan40

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2008, 08:24:30 PM »
Hi

No you are not over exagerating. With both of my surgeries the first couple of days i felt really good and could move around quite well. It strange but as the days go on and you do more you seem to be in more pain.

I am now 15 weeks post op with my right knee and I am in more pain than before the op, went to see physio today and she has tapped the kneecap up and it is starting to tilt again, with my left knee I am 5 weeks post op and that knee is brilliant some days I am pain free.

Stairs are still a nightmare especially coming down can not bend my right knee enough.

Hang in there it is a long and hard recovery.

Jan

support