Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: When is it time for sugery?  (Read 1611 times)

Offline p45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
When is it time for sugery?
« on: October 25, 2008, 10:51:10 PM »
I have been dealing with a stubborn unidentified knee issue.  I have been diagnosed with everything from PFPS, to plica syndrome, to pes anserine bursitis, medial retinacular synovits, saphenous nerve impingement and so on.  I have done nearly five months of PT with minimal results and I have had two MRI's that both did not show any serious concerns.  My doc has told me that he is at a loss and his last resort is to "take a looksy" inside my knee.  I have seen four different OS's that have all had diifferent diagnoses, but have all said that they don't know what is wrong and surgery may be the only option.  I have read some of the horror stories about "looksy" type surgeries and I fear the worst if I decide to go this route.  This injury has been ongoing for a year and will not respond to any treatment.  I welcome anyone's $.02 about whether or not to give surgery a try.  I have avoided it this long, but I think I am now avoiding the inevitable.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: When is it time for sugery?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 10:59:29 PM »
I won't give you my opinion (since it would be meaningless), but here's some questions I would ask if it were me ---
Is the pain one you can live with?
Is the pain getting worse?
Does my Dr have experience with this surgery?
Do I trust my Dr?
What does the Dr hope to find out?
What is the best case post surgery?
What is the worst case post surgery?
Just my thoughts
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 11:29:29 PM »
It really depends on whether you want to feel the way your feel now forever. The vast majority of people get through this surgery with no problems whatsoever. Only a few have problems but they are the ones that post on message boards. The rest live happily ever after.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 11:40:44 PM »
Ultimately your going to have to find a way to deal with your knee problem with out surgery or Have the OS do an exploritory scope and you can discuss with the doctor the type of things he can do or can't do when in your knee.  You can be awake during the scope.

If you have tried PT for a while.  It may be a reasonable next step for a scope with limits and boundarys set up before hand.   You can even ask the doctor what type of unexpected procedures he may perform and before you commit to surgery you can research the terms.

If I were you I would go for the scope.  The knee joint is very complex  and there are many good outcomes.  The longer you let it linger with out a proper diagnoses you could make your knee worse.

Offline p45

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 01:38:40 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  I have had persistent pain medial to my patella and at the joint line for a year that came out of nowhere following a road running race last November.  The pain is also associated with a "snapping" left hip.  My saphenous nerve is swollen to about the size of a pencil and can be seen protruding from the joint at the joint line on the medial side.  I am a triathlete, and much of my livelyhood comes from this sport.  This sport does not pay my bills, but I do have sponsorship obligations and I fear that if I do not get this fixed I risk losing this partnership.  I have worked through injuries in the past, but this just will not clear up.  Surgery has always been my last option, especially considering that I have not found a Dr. that can tell me what he would be looking to fix exactly if operated on.  I am going back to my OS this week; we'll see what happens.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 05:36:20 PM »
Working through injuries is a good way to make them worse. Especially when the injury is one that won't heal on its own under any circumstances. You'll keep hurting as long as you keep doing the things that hurt, and the constant inflammation will cause more damage.

support