Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: patella tendon defect sutured shut after acl autograft.....is this normal?  (Read 744 times)

Davidf66

I had an appointment today with my OS that has left me a little frustrated about my situation. I am about 3.5 months post op from a patella tendon autograft. I asked him how long it takes the patella tendon to fill in/regrow and he told he sutured the defect in the tendon shut so there is nothing to regrow. I was under the impression that tendon is always left opened so that it can fill in and regrow. That is why I chose he patella tendon over the hamstring graft. Is this a normal practice? I didn't realize I was "sacrificing" a body part to replace my ACL. I have been experiencing a lot of tendinitis and I was hoping it would go away as the tendon regenerated. How is my tendon ever going to be even remotely as close as strong as normal patella tendon?

Obviously, I should have clarified all the details of the surgery with my surgeon beforehand.  I do not want come off as complaining because I realize this situation is nobody's fault but my own. I am just wondering if anybody else out there has had their tendon shut after the procedure. If so how did it end up working out for you? I'd appreciate any responses.

support