Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Meniscus Tear, from pain to gain  (Read 6181 times)

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • Much to young to feel this dam old, Garth Brooks
Meniscus Tear, from pain to gain
« on: October 25, 2008, 04:37:03 PM »
Way back in the fall of 2006 I fell in a hole and hurt my knee. As you do I ignored the pain and discomfort as long as possible thinking that it would get better and go away.

It didn't

In January 2007 I eventually went to the doc and started the very lengthy procedure of diagnosing and working out what to do with the knee. It was frustrating to say the least as the docs and the PT wavered between torn meniscus and arthritis as being the problem. Whatever the cause of the problem the reality, as many of you know, is consistently living with the pain, or popping combinations of pills to try and get some relief. All through 32007 I felt that my world was shrinking around me as there were more things that I was struggling to do.

Eventually I got to see the OS, who sent me for an MRI, and we found the tear that was causing problems, and in December I was in the hospital for my arthroscopy. Before the surgery the OS had said he would want to see me at 6 weeks post op, when I woke up that had changed to 2 weeks  :o

The immediate post op stage was difficult, I struggled and was using the crutches for nearly a week and getting frustrated because the surgeon had said that a couple of days would see me right. I had great support from my PT, and strongly believe that the fact I was doing PT before the op, actually helped afterwards.

When I saw the OS again, he explained that he had not only cleaned up the meniscus, but had found significant arthritis in there as well, so he had cleaned up everything as best he could, he predicted that although I would improve still, that it would be unreasonable to expect to be pain free. I think that was probably my lowest point.

My highest point came this week, there is a store in the city that has all the good stuff up on the second floor there, up a long flight of stairs. I didn't go up there for a long while, but managed to progress to the 'mummy walk' up and own.

This week I WALKED UP AND DOWN THOSE STAIRS. Now it was slow, and I made husband walk in front on the way down and held his shoulder, and yes it ached later, BUT I DID IT.

So how are things now 2 years after the original accident?

I don't take regular pain meds, but do need the odd help.
I can walk, without pain
I can climb stairs
I can cycle
I can ride a horse (but not for long)
I can sit for reasonably long periods without discomfort
I can take a long drive in the car and still walk at the other end
 ;D

I can't kneel down, if I HAVE to get down on the floor it hurts, and trying to get up is worse, so I don't do it if at all possible.

So take heart people who are on the journey, good results can happen ;D
6th Dec 2007 arthoscropy, major debridement and meniscus trimmed
Jan 08 2008 Arthritis grade 2/3 told to wait until TKR needed.
August 2010 Left knee arthroscopy

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Meniscus Tear, from pain to gain
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 09:19:06 PM »
Thank you so much for your success story, it is such a help for those of us in the middle of this injury.

I can relate to the kneeling part,  I shudder to think what is under my bed that the vacuum hose just can't reach:)
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 09:40:36 PM »
Thank you so much for your success story, it is such a help for those of us in the middle of this injury.

I can relate to the kneeling part,  I shudder to think what is under my bed that the vacuum hose just can't reach:)

Hey if you can't see it it doesn't exist, works well for me ;D

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 09:54:49 AM »
That sounds like a perfect rule to live by.

I have a sign on the kitchen wall....The only self cleaning thing in this house is the cat....and.....Skinny cooks can't be trusted.
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline Berta

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 04:41:59 PM »
That sounds like a perfect rule to live by.

I have a sign on the kitchen wall....The only self cleaning thing in this house is the cat....and.....Skinny cooks can't be trusted.

Aha, another right minded person, you'll do fine  ;D

There is light at the end of the 'bad knee' tunnel, thought I best come back and say there are good and succesful results out here.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 05:00:32 AM »
...and continued fortune to you. I keep reminding myself that I am living in an age where they can do something like repairing knees.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

support