Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Relapse of knee pain  (Read 1940 times)

Offline bulwer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Relapse of knee pain
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:16:55 PM »
Hi all,

A couple of years ago, I had an operation to tidy up my cartilage. After the op, the consultant told me they was a slight tear in the cartilage but that there was arthritis and he would see me in 20-30 years. Hardly inspiring stuff but there you go. For the first year, the knee seemed fairly normal. Then, last winter, I started getting very stiff after sitting/driving for an extended period. Fair enough - what I would expect from arthritis when the damp/cold comes. Sure enough, come spring it seemed OK again.

A couple of weeks ago, we went to Center Parcs and I had a quick (15 min) knock up at table tennis. Bending down for the ball made it twinge bu nothing major. But an hour later, coming down a staircase was severe pain on every step. It seemed to settle down but twice in the last week, I have put my foot on a step and my leg nearly collapsed with the sharp pain. 30 seconds later, it is fine again. This was exactly the symptoms I had originally which seemed to have been caused by the cartilage damage and not what I would expect from arthritis. Also, I have twice noticed my knee feeling warm - both a warm sensation and warm to the touch - as well as looking a bit red.

My question is, does anyone else suffer from anything similar? I can certainly live with it as it is only once in a while I get the severe pain and it is only around for a little while. I need to avoid crouching as this will normally start the pain off and the stiffness I will just have to live with. But the concer is that the old symptoms are back and the cartilage is damaged again. I don't really want to go to the docs as I seem to have been living there this last year with high BP, dizziness and bad stomach acid and it took 2 years to get sorted the first time around. I would just like to know if the collapsing on stairs symptoms are experienced by anyone else and if they know what the causes are.

Many thanks,

Dave

Offline demodiva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Relapse of knee pain
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:01:13 PM »
A few weeks ago, I partially fell through my attic and landed on my "funky" knee.  There was sharp pain immediately, but then it went away, and I walked as normal for two weeks, except having the occasional sharp pain and having my knee give out occasionally.  I'd decided it was yet another funkiness to my knee and left it.  After those first two weeks though, I started having bad pain at night and constantly, regardless of whether I was on the leg or not.  Anyway, it turned out that my knee was really screwed up and by the time I finally went in, I had bone rubbing on bone.  SO, I'd say..why not just go in and get it looked at?  Maybe have an MRI?  It sounds kind of classic for a meniscus problem, and better to get it looked at than end up with the bone on bone mess, surely? 

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 08:26:17 PM »
I agree, get it looked at.  It's lovely to live in denial but eventually, if you don't deal with it, your body will make you deal with it.  I think it'd be better to get it checked out now before it gets worse.  I've lived at the drs for 3 years with another issue and then I fractured my knee, then dislocated the other.  I feel embarrassed when I have to tell people I've been reinjured, they must think I'm a complete idiot, but you have to get help.
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline bulwer

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:48:12 PM »
OK, thanks guys. If I get it again I'll go back and see them. Thing is I had an MRI last time which was fairly inconclusive. It took 6 months to see the consultant, 6 months for the MRI, 6 months to see the consultant about the MRI and 6 months to get the op. You can see why I'm reluctant to go back!  ;D At the moment, there is just a very slight twinge when I go up stairs. I have had the odd pain - nearly always stair related - over the last couple of years but it has been 3 or 4 times since the table tennis incident which makes me think I have strained or injured something. The heat was something new though. Not intense but just noticable. A bit like having very mild sunburn when clothes touch it and definitely warmer to the touch than the other knee. Fine now but a bit warmer and hour after the last sharp pain. Probably blood vessels or something but also seems like a sign that something is not right. I just wanted to see if it was likely to be related to the arthritis or not.

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:32:05 PM »
Ok so the stairs are giving you grief right now.  Go back to the "good leg to heavan, bad leg to hell" technique.  When you go up the steps, lead with your good leg, step up and bring up your bad leg, the next step do the same, it's the opposite for going down, bad leg first,  that way your bad knee never takes the pressure of going up of down the steps.  Ice it alot today, it can't hurt.  Be kind to yourself and baby it.
The burning sensation could be nerve related.  I have no experience with arthritis, sorry.
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

support