Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bad Knees & losing weight - this worked  (Read 21044 times)

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Bad Knees & losing weight - this worked
« on: October 25, 2008, 08:51:36 AM »
I found this worked for me.  I lost a kilo a week and it was pretty easy once I gave up the dream of carbs.  I lost a total of 25kg.  I'm going to restart the plan in two weeks after I've moved house.

Protein whey powder, unflavoured.  2 teaspoons in a glass of water once a day as a meal replacement, usually lunch.
Breakfast.  1 short rasher of bacon and 2 scrambled eggs with a mug of herbal tea, I like peppermint or lemon
Lunch: Medium can of tuna with salad as much as you like, mainly lettuce, cucumber, avocado and alittle tomato (1/2 a medium one)
you can substitute the tuna for a piece of fish, steak, any protein you like including hard boiled eggs.
Dinner: Meat and salad or veg.

The secret is to eat as much protein as you like, there's no restriction on protein only your carbs, less than 20grams per day.  To give you an idea of how much 20 grams is, a small banana is 20g, so it's pretty limited
Vegies should be limited to 1/3 of your plate, meat another 1/3 and a 1/3 is air, delicious.
No fruit for the first few weeks, you can add in a piece a day once you've lost 10kg +
No pasta, no potatoes, no bread, no white flour, no sugar, no alcohol, no coffee
2 pieces of 70% cocoa chocolate is good for you but don't expect it to taste like milk chocolate
Eat only white cheese, use lemon juice as your salad dressing.  Drink at least 6-8 glasses of water a day, plus 3 cups of herbal tea.

The aim is to switch your body from carb burning to protein burning, you go into ketosis and burn stored fat as your first source of fuel.
After about 6 weeks, you can have a carb loaded meal twice a week, pasta is the usual choice along with bread or a bowl of fruit salad for those of us that are really fruit parrotts in disguise.  The carb shot re-boots your system and makes your body revitalise depleted carb stores that are essential to good health but still maintains the bat burning fuel source. You can live on this diet for life
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: Bad Knees & losing weight - this worked
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
Sounds like the Atkin's diet.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 07:49:22 PM »
I'm not really familiar with the Atkins diet, but I have heard about it.  I should've said in my last post, this is what I did, doesn't mean everyone should, I just know how frustrating it is to not be able to shift the weight. And our poor knees need us to so badly.

Whatever programme you're trying, I hope you're having success and when you don't, that you have the determination to stick with it.
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
I tell you what would be great is a spare part body shop and you can change the bits that don't work or look right LOL  ;D.

A friend of mine did the Atkins diet and lost an amazing amount of weight and managed to keep it off as well.  I need to loose some before I start running again but I'm a bit low on the old will power LOL  ;D.  My friend has been on slimming world and is currently on weight watchers and she says the weight is shifting now.  I find walking very good but not allowed to do to much yet but I will as soon as a can and will have to lay off the chocs and cakes LOL :(.
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 09:38:05 PM »
Oh I really like the interchangable parts, I think I'd be into that alright!  I also wish that when you feel this hell, your body craved salad and tofu and not comfort food like chocolate, apple crumble, Milo (hot chocolate) and potatoes!

As soon as I came off this eating plan and went back to eating carbs, the weight comes back, so I'm going to go back to low carb high protein and watch the occassional treats more closely.  Instead of syaing to myself, "you deserve a treat" and eating that piece of cake, I have to say "you deserve to look good, food is not your reward".
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 09:58:18 PM »
Craving salad that would be great, unfortunately I do like chocolate sometimes when I'm feeling strong I do go for fruit LOL  ;D.  I need to be stronger and it is only me that can do it.  I can't blame anyone else for my cravings LOL (never mind) I'm sure I will get there in the end.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline DAT - UK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 03:47:28 AM »
Spare Part Body Shop - I bet you'd have to buy a whole knee just for the knee cap or ACL which you actually want.

After 5 months of not much movement I too am now looking at a diet. The main issue is portion size and sweets, lots of them.
Could bacon be replaced by a small serving of poridge ? ....no sugar.

DAT - UK

Male, 34, game of rugby, left knee cap
6/09/08 - shattered patella - 6 peices
Now have figure of eight and two pins
Plastered for two weeks then physio -  50 degrees up till Nov
Key hole to release scare tissue - 55 degrees then lost it.
13/01/09 - Wires and screws removed 78 degs

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 07:52:28 PM »
I don't like porridge but I can eat redibrek but I would still need the sugar.

Option would be to cut the fat off the bacon and grill it probably the best way to cook it for the healthier option or just have cereal.

Once a week in work we have a breakfast and if I go for the toast I always regret it when I smell the bacon.  (can't win) ;D

Little and often should do it and plenty of fruit and veg.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 10:03:23 PM »
Unfortunately, no, the bacon can't be replaced with a cereal, the whole idea is to limit the carbs, your body will switch from burning carbs as a source of fuel to burning fat, it's call ketosis.  The switch enables your body to burn the stored fat your carrying as extra weight.  Good luck.
Adrienne
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
but don't you find when the body goes to the state of ketosis that your breath smells?  I found that after sometime this starts to happen and also a few other people I know who have done the low carb did comment on the same thing.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline KateUK

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 07:07:50 PM »
Can do the Atkins diet, thanks Fatcat56 for the outline - its the nice glass of wine I find hard
to give up at the end of the day.    ???

But I do agree, weight off the knees makes a load of diffence - I am 10st 4, which is does fluctuate
alot!   I cant seem to get it down again since the knee op.  I was under 10 before that!

Straight leg raises, quad strenghing etc does not burn it off the same!   Got to get some motivation
back...

KateUK
13/10/08 Right knee PFJR done  - waiting
              for PFJR on left knee               
03/03/08 Double scope - Patellofemoral
Arthritis confirmed both knees. Grade 3/4 wear & tear                       
07/12/04 Double scope done - no action
              taken at time - medical reasons

Offline lizzivia

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:49:02 AM »
i wish i could lose some lbs right now. i have gained a tremendous amount of weight due to 2 bad knees that have to be replaced. my problem is that most of my weight gain is on the lower part pf my body, real hard to exercise effectively, my metabolism is shot! i am afraid dieting alone isnt enough. bummer. i need to be able to walk again. treadmills and stationary bikes. the diet does sound like the atkins. i know that the atkins works.

Offline Natalie.D

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 10:39:14 PM »
Hi all,

Its obvious that the less you weigh the better your knees will be - getting the weight off is the main problem as I know only too well, I was about 3 stone overweight and my knees were absolutely killing me, I was just about at the stage of having to walk with a cane, I was in tremendous pain 24/7 and one day I said to myself right, this is it, I'm tired of being like this and being in so much pain ALL the time so I just went on a sensible eating plan, I ate everything I wanted but just smaller portions and filled up with glasses of water or fruit and started swimming 4 times a week, bought a stationery bike and a trampoline (which I couldn't jump on but I could do major work with my quads on by sitting on the edge and just 'bouncing my bum' off the trampoline, my biggest success was to overcome the 'boredom and comfort eating' whenever I was bored the first thing I would do was go to the fridge to see what I could have, everytime I felt like that I made myself go and do something, even cleaning out my closet or re-arranging pictures on the wall, anything just to get out of the state of mind of 'eat because I'm bored or frustrated'.  I've managed to lose over 3 stone now, I'm still a work in progress and would ideally like to lose another stone but boy, do I feel the benefits of that 3 stone being gone, my knees are soooooooo much more manageable now, especially since I have severe OA the weight loss has been of great benefit to me and I can now do a lot of things that I couldn't previously do - its a new lease of life, finding that determination is so very, very hard but for anyone that is overweight, keep trying and trying, you will certainly feel major benefits and your knees will certainly thank you for it.  Good luck everyone, keep trying to shed those unwanted pounds.

Natalie.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 10:41:32 PM by Natalie.D »
Dislocations since age 12
Trochlear Dysplasia
Maltracking
Hypermobile
LR/MR-failed
TTT, LR, MR L knee 95-Success
TTT, LR, MR R 02-Success
Screws out
Partial tear ACL
Severe end stage OA
4 Debridements
Partial Meniscectomy
Failed Microfracture
11mm Defect LFC
Bone Spurs, Kissing Lesions

Offline Roestigraben

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 07:10:46 PM »
Hi,

Totally agree with the difference losing weight can make.
I am 1.74m tall and used to be around 78kg after I was forced to stop active sports (bust ACL followed by damaged articular cartilage).
After a few years of doing almost no physical exercise, and having constant pain, I decided to give weight loss a genuine try.
I tried the Atkins diet, but that's hard work. Also, I tended to give up frequently.

To be honest, I found the best, and cheapest way, was the "drink lots of water" diet!
This is particularly effective if I drink one or two large glassfuls before eating. This takes the edge off my appetite, and stops me eating too much. Another option is drinking a lot with a small snack. In my case, it seems to trick my stomach and brain into thinking I've had a large meal, and hence it buys me several hours until the hunger pangs come back.
My other strategy is to replace things like pasta, rice, potatoes with veg like broccoli or cauliflower. I love my curries, and as I like them hot, I really can't taste the difference if it's accompanied by rice or broccoli.
This might seem a lot of hard work, but now that my stomach is used to a lesser amount of intake, I feel full-up much quicker. Also, I can still reward myself at the weekend with cheesecake and ice creams.

In case your wondering, I now weigh around 62kg, and have been between 61 to 63kg for the last few years. I am back riding bikes regularly, and can even manage 18 holes of golf (although I am still rubbish at it)! It may not seem much, but it beats the years of just sitting on the sofa.

Best of luck
Roesti

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2010, 11:20:58 PM »
Hi Roesti,

Drinking water does help with the feeling of fullness and exercise is also a must.  I'm sure after a lot of hard work we will get there in the end.  I have managed to to shed a little weight and hope to shift some more.

Good luck

Sue
 ;D
North Wales 
Fall from horse 04/04

Offline neptronix

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 4
    • neptronix.org
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
Sorry to bump a old post, but why start another..
I also found weight loss to be huge.
I have pretty major biomechanical issues and weight loss gave me another 3 years on my bad leg.

Once i get the biomechanical issues corrected, it will also help with recovery, for certain.

I also did, and still do low carb.. 5 years later. It keeps the weight from creeping back up.

support