Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 11 year old daughter having pain in back of her knees for 9 years  (Read 1793 times)

Offline gjoggi69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi!

My daughter that soon turns 11, have had pain in the back of her knees since she was about 2 years old. We have taken her to x-ray, ultrasound and allot of different doctors with different opinions. Some have said it was growth related, and other Bakers cyst. This always happens in the evening and she is not active in any sports except for the gym class in school 1 hour twice a week. If it is growing pains, does that really stay on for more than 9 years??

She also complains that her pinky toes hurts, and every evening we have to pull them back and forth so far I think that I will break them, but she think it's eases her pain.

I have searched forums and internet, but cannot find anything that really relates to this.

Thanks
JR

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: 11 year old daughter having pain in back of her knees for 9 years
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:33:14 PM »
Has she had an MRI or has she seen an orthopedic surgeon? That's where she needs to go. She may also need a referral to a rheumatologist to rule out any kind of auto-immune disease such as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

Offline demodiva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:04:43 AM »
My son was about 2 when he started getting growing pains.  He is 14 now and still gets them, although less frequently.  They are always in the evenings or at night, and the pain is excrutiating in his knees, calves and thighs.  I took him to the doctor for it when he was little and was told that it was growing pains and to give him children's pain reliever and make sure that he has a lot of potassium in his diet.  He still wakes me up in the night to help him cope with the pain sometimes. 

I hope it isn't anything more serious for your daughter.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 11:52:17 AM »
....  He still wakes me up in the night to help him cope with the pain sometimes. 

I'm sorry, but I don't know how you can accept a diagnosis of 'growing pains'. What the heck are growing pains anyway? Pain that wakes a child up at night needs a proper diagnosis and treatment. Juvenile RA needs to be ruled out as it can destroy joints.

Offline demodiva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
LOL!!!  My son is as healthy as a horse.  He plays football and every other sport known to man.  It is genuinely growing pains.  He grew 4 inches in 3 months once.  Naturally, that hurts.  The pain goes away with OTC pain relievers like Tylenol.  Also, after he has his worst bouts of pain, he always goes up a size or two.  He's 6'1" and wears a size 14 (US) shoe, and still seems to be growing.

Offline gjoggi69

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »
Has she had an MRI or has she seen an orthopedic surgeon? That's where she needs to go. She may also need a referral to a rheumatologist to rule out any kind of auto-immune disease such as juvenile rheumatoid arthritis.

Hi.
No we have only been at standard medical health centers in Sweden. I will look into what I have to do to take here to any of above.
Thanks for the help

//Gjoggi

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 07:06:43 PM »
Hi,

I would definitely take her to an OS. I am 19 and my knees have caused me pain all my life. My mom took me to the doctor when I was about 7 or so, and the doctor said I was just having "growing pains" and it would get better. Well, at 16 my knees started to want to dislocate and I was in ALOT of pain. I noticed that, for the first time, my legs looked crooked. They had always looked straight before. So I went to an OS and was diagnosed with "miserable malalignment" I suppose I did suffer from growing pains, growing the wrong way! My femurs are twisted.

I am not a doctor, but just from my experiences I would go to an OS, then if it is growing pains or something more, you will know. I'm sure it would do alot for your peace of mind. I know my mom wishes she would have taken me to an OS.

Hope everything turns out alright for you!
Lyndsey
5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 07:37:57 PM »
LOL!!!  My son is as healthy as a horse.  He plays football and every other sport known to man.  It is genuinely growing pains.  He grew 4 inches in 3 months once.  Naturally, that hurts.  The pain goes away with OTC pain relievers like Tylenol.  Also, after he has his worst bouts of pain, he always goes up a size or two.  He's 6'1" and wears a size 14 (US) shoe, and still seems to be growing.

Well, I was curious so I looked up growing pains. Turns out there really is no such thing and no evidence that growing bones cause pain. That's just what doctors call it when they have absolutely no idea what's causing the pain. It's generally believed that the active lives of children are what causes their legs to hurt at night.

Here's one article that said basically the same thing as everything else I read.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/growing-pains/DS00888