Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: THE PROBLEM WITH LONG THREADS  (Read 5780 times)

Offline KiddtheKatt

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: THE PROBLEM WITH LONG THREADS
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2008, 10:39:37 PM »
   I have to agree. I've had over a year with tears everyday, and I'll be having tears for years to come. It's good to laugh, that's what is so great about this site. Longer threads are ok, they don't bother me, I answer those that I find I have something in common with but then I do a lot of lurking. Some people go on after they heal to get on with life, some stay and find comfort with old friends. It's a two way street.

gentle hugs
Angel

Gary064

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »
Angel, you are spot on there. Its somewhere to go when you are feeling down and need a laugh, for all the help you need etc. I, like you dont mind the length of a thread.... just look at mine ;D ;D ;D

Gary

Offline subail

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 3
  • The glass is always half full!
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2008, 11:09:26 PM »
Some of us come on this site for information AND for the companionship which this site provides from like-minded people who have undergone similar experiences. It's fun and informative. We all need to be able to laugh at ourselves and chuckle.
Dislocation of left patella and as a result left patellar tendon rupture in the medial section/torn at both ends.
3 Previous surgeries-semitendiosis tenodesis
Reconstruction surgery left knee October 10 '07
TKR right knee May 25 '10.....successful!
Limited ROM/TKR left knee May 25 2015...successful.

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2008, 11:15:55 PM »
I agree. .  Maybe it is time to move this thread to the popular threads board as it doesn't really relate to any knee problems but just a way to improve KG. I notice too that Sheilla has to do a lot of policing and maybe there is a way to make her job easier. This thread could also be used for people to express other problems that aren't knee related as well and just want to get something off their chest. Maybe we should have a JUST LET OFF STEAM THREAD. THAT'S A JOKE GIRLS ha!!
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:48:10 AM by luckygrandma6 »
Right knee (arthroscopy) 2004
Right knee (PKR)) April 5, 2005
Right elbow (Bursectomy)1998
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992
2 back surgeries (Feb 2007 & March 2007
Right knee spacer exchange (Failed) 2008
TRK (Hinged Prosthesis) Jan 2009

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2008, 11:37:55 PM »
We use to have a "Whine of the Day" therad that was pretty funny sometimes.  Maybe we should start another...

Since you brought up "Tommy24" again...I do not find it clever..If someone has a point to make...Just say it...There is no need to hide.  Someone did the same thing (created a 2nd user id - "Jimmy") with in the last week and posted a nasty,mean,ill mannered post against one of the threads mentioned in Tommy's post. The "long thread" issue was brought there too. There were too many coincidences between the two posts that made me almost believe these are one in the same person. That is what upset me. 

I don't mind the long threads...if others do I am all for moving them.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2008, 12:13:26 AM »
Maybe jimmie or tommy or whoever, went about it the wrong way, but I agree with one of the posters that it is ashamed that one feels so threatened that they don't feel they can openly discuss a problem. If they are the same person maybe they had an after thought that this was a better way to approach the subject instead of on a particular thread.  I think one of the biggest problems why a thread gets so long is because other people posts their problems on another's thread instead of starting a thread of their own. I find this confusing as it takes away from the original posters thread and I'm totally lost as to what the discussion was to begin with, and the only way you can figure that out is to go back to the beginning and try to figure out what the original poster said. This has happened to the thread in question and if you read the last few pages it has totally gone in another direction and no longer makes any sense from the way it started, but it keeps going on and so we have to fish thorugh these threads to find those who need our help and who are not just caring on conversations, which like someone suggested should be sent to the 'GET TO KNOW YOU ROOM"  It's like these people are chatting using the forum to do it instead of Instant Messenger or something. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 11:54:11 AM by luckygrandma6 »
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992

Offline KW

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
  • My new PFJR...Love It!!!!
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2008, 12:56:15 AM »
KW I have noticed you are about the only negative poster here and are missing the point. Why has this become a popular thread if it isn't a subject that a lot of people find interesting. Obviously most of the people here don't really care who tommy24 is but rather what he has to say.

Personally I don't see my comment as negative.  I said I was all for moving the long threads.  That did not go against anything that had been discussed.

You made a comment that creating a 2nd user was creative and i have the right to disagree. I also have the right to comment on why I feel the way I do.  There was nothing negative against in my comment the topic.

We will just have to agree to disagree.
Right Knee
2000 - 2002 - Scope,LR,TTT,Unscrewed
01-10-12 - PFJR

Left Knee
04/07 TTT/LR
08/07 Bone Grth Stim
10/07 Loose/Bent Screw
1/08 Unscrewed/MRI~NON-UNION
02/19/08 Lt  TTT Revision W/Graft
12/09/08 Scope
05/15/09 Scope
09/04/09 PFJR/Unscrewed

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »
Let each of us have our own opinion. Let's not start a war here.
I think this is good that we can open up and discuss what issues we have on mind.
I have nothing against long threads. But maybe we should use the board better. Social aspects of life maybe could be under " Know each other just want to chat". There are more then one group there having discussions and writing each other.
The problem is when new people arrive and read a headline to find out that the thread mostly is about the social life a person has.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2008, 09:18:34 AM »
Hey - silly suggestion maybe, but perhaps "Tommy24" should come back and state why they made their comment. Maybe they will "reveal" themselves and say why they felt the need for a pseudonym.

This is an adult and open discussion isn't it? And as Nettan has said, the social aspects are well catered for in the Getting to Know You section.

Today I came in and had more posts in the My Recent posts link than in the unread posts section. I didn't have time to read them so I just marked them read and came back in my break to look at a few.

I think some people are taking this all way too seriously.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline luckygrandma6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
I think tommy24 has proven a very valid point that there is one particular thread that a select few people are deliberately trying to keep going as a contest. I spent all morning searching for threads that got little or no attention so these people would be brought to the head of the line and their problem made just as important. This last person who posted says this thread is popular as it relates to many people's problems but only a select few keep responding to it. Most of the threads other's can relate with or they wouldn't be able to offer advice. The thing is I thought a thread was to help the person writing it and not for other people to turn it into their thread by talking about their own problems. Comparing yes, but that is not what is happening here. They are totally talking about their own problem using this thread to do it instead of starting a thread of their own. Maybe they feel if they use someone else's thead they will get more attention as this thread is already established and KG is familiar with it. This thread has turned into a social event with the same people. If they are only going to help each other they could e-mail or get Instant Messenger. I don't think these people are helping this thread but ruining it. I for one have started many different threads as my problem changed. I could have continued on the same one and had a thread just as long, but I didn't feel it was appropriate then and I don't now. I don't think 3 people keeping a thread going constitutes popularity of the thread although that's the way they are trying to make it look. This thread has lost it's purpose and has gone in another direction. Has anyone found another thread this long. I can't find one even in pre and postop diaries. I for one am not going to post anymore until this problem is solved because I'm not going to feel I'm fighting to help people that are either getting no or little help and make helping new people a contest between them and someone who is jeaolous and can't stand someone else getting the attention. Blast me all you want because I really don't care at this point. If I want to help someone from now on I'll send them, an e-mail.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 04:37:11 PM by luckygrandma6 »
TRKR 2006 Failed)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
Left knee (arthroscopy)
THR 1992

Gary064

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2008, 04:39:44 PM »
With respect! you still dont get it!! So what if a thread is very long. My Tkr and recovery has been ongoing and now after 2 ops on my other knee i keep my thread going as the usuall friends know where to find it with ease. Along the way we do chat and have a laugh, its all part of the recovery process!! They do say that laughter is the best medicine...... so what is wrong with that, and yes.. other friends do post their problems on my thread, i cannot see a problem with that. If someone is helped by it then a good job has been done.

I get sick of people moaning about trivial things and this annoys me. This site has been a godsend to me over the last 2 years, its like a community where you can always find someone for help and support and make good friends along the way.

Offline arkitect06

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Medtronic = Life!
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2008, 06:25:28 PM »
When I began to read this thread, I became upset b/c I have one of the longest threads on this board and it's been ongoing daily since January 11, 2008.  I started with a Fulkerson TTT and have developed RSD and other issues.  This can happen to anyone.  Is my thread suppose to be cut off and stopped now that I have a different problem still related to the same knee and same surgery?  Not many others on KG talk about RSD and how they feel mentally or physically about it.  So I have continued my same thread for anyone looking for info on recovery of a Fulkerson TTT that can turn ugly.  I wish that someone had this info on KG before I started dealing with it.  I didn't know anything about RSD until I was diagnosed and did my own online research. 

My point is that I have a 149 page diary that is probably 80% helpful to many people.  I have had many new people post on my thread with questions or just more support.  I also get lots of PMs and personal e-mails from those that have more questions.  I don't know what I'd do without KG, but I guess according to some here, I should just quit.  I guess I just needed too much help to get it here. 10 months is just too long! 

Just so you some of you know, I have been here to support so many along their ways to recovery.  I post on new threads and old threads almost daily.  Sometimes my pain is too much to sit at a computer long enough to catch up on all the ones I would like to, but I do my best throughout a week. 

Okay, grandma, attack me now. 

Farrah
11/16/10 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Left Knee)
11/17/09 SCS re-implant
7/29/09 I&D
5/7/09 SCS removal b/c of MRSA
12/15/08 & 2/6/09 SCS Revision
10/30/08 Spinal Cord Stimulator Implantation
6/27/08 diagnosed with RSD
1/8/08 Fulkerson TTT, chondroplasty, LR (Right Knee)

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 113
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »
Hi again
I am getting some good feedback even though this thread is a little 'warm'. I understand now the issue with the Games room. I will ask Leah if it is possible to write some code so that threads there do not get picked up as 'unread'. I misunderstood the original request and moved the games room board, but I think it is better where it is now anyway.

A real issue here, and I take full responsibility, is that this board is allowed largely to moderate itself. People are used to sending me an IM when there is an issue and mostly I am around to resolve it. 'Rules' have kind of developed as we have gone on over the years. Frankly I prefer it this way to the kind of strict rules moderation on many other boards. Sometimes where there is an issue like this allowing a little freedom to express onself flags up real issues that I need to resolve.

Now I have a request - please will those of you with long/popular/both threads get in touch with me via IM so that we can work out the best position for the thread rather than me having to get in touch with you. That will gain me a little time as I am very busy right now with a project relating to KNEEguru to try and bring some more money in so that I can get a bit of help.

If there are any more new points to be made here then contact me via IM - if not, let's call it a day and I will try and resolve some of these issues. I'll lock this thread now as it has served its purpose.

Thanks

Sheila
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 08:20:48 PM by The KNEEguru »
--
KNEEguru

support