Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee won't straighten  (Read 2788 times)

Offline Siphon

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee won't straighten
« on: October 23, 2008, 09:45:24 PM »
Hi,

Noob here, looking for some advice.

Recently I've noticed my right knee doesn't always want to straighten out if I've had it bent for a few minutes. Like for example if I'm sitting indian style and I try to stand up, my right knew has a tough time straightening out. It doesn't hurt but it is very stiff. I have full range of motion any other time. I don't run but I do mountain bike. My left knee is perfectly fine.

Could this possibly be the early stages of arthritis?

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Knee won't straighten
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 10:23:06 PM »
The stiffness you describe can be a symptom of arthritis, but it can also be a symptom of other things as well (hamstring problems, menicus issues).  The only way to really know is to have it checked out if it bothers you, you develop sharp pains, or it gets progressively worse.  Wish I could be more help.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline karen smith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:26:55 PM »
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your problems.  I doubt arthiritis is the cause although it could cause it.  I have just had an osteotomy for other issues but the surgeon noted it did not dtraighern backwards totally.  He corrected this by surgery at the same time as the osteotomy.  He said id the osteotomy stopped my leg bending inwards I would still possibly get arthiritis as I would be walking awkwardly and unsteadily putting pressure on parts of the knee that shouldn't be getting it. 

Don't take any brush off from practitioners.  You don't want to build up problems for the future.

E mail me direct if you want further chat

Offline demodiva

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 03:34:55 AM »
My knees have done that for years.  Obviously, our reasons for it might be different, but I've just gone through all of the MRI/X-Ray, arthroscopic surgery stuff, and I don't have arthritis.  Stretching actually helped the problem go away for me.  The more stretching exercises I did, the less difficult it was for me to get my knees to straighten.

Offline TraciJo

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 04:22:50 PM »
I had a similar problem last year.  It was very irritating.  It seemed at anytime my knee was bent for any amount of time, I then could not straighten it.  My problem was behind my knee.  For some reason it was not releasing.  My doctor sent me to therapy.  They used electrodes with cortisone.  It worked miracles in a short amount of time and I haven't had that problem since.  You probably need to see your doctor if it isn't improving.
09/07 Accident / TPF
09/08 Placement of plate and screws
12/02 12 Week DR f/u, start WBAT rom 135
12/04 PT - WBAT exercises-started driving, wearing patella brace
12/08 Back to work - 4 hours a day
01/04/09 Walking w/o crutch, PT 2 a week
01/13 Released from OS/Still doing PT

support