Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Is it all doom and gloom for a newbie  (Read 2460 times)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
Is it all doom and gloom for a newbie
« on: October 23, 2008, 08:57:50 PM »
Hi all out their, I've been reading your threads with interest have posted a couple of my own and thanks to those that have responded to various questions that I have asked. It's suddenly hit me whilst reading some threads that there is an awful lot of knee surgeries that have either failed or have led on to further surgery procedures being required. Here I am yet ot be diagnosed, appt set for next week but expected to undergo an athroscopy. Apparently x-rays show severe wear and tear possibly due to post traumatic injuries to the said knee. What are my chances am I also looking at months of pain and apparent misery with recurring procedures or is there people out their that have responded well to treatment and it was the best thing that they agreed to being done. PLEASE don't think i am belittleling any of your pain and suffering coz i am not i would like to know is it better for me to suffer the severe night pain i have and just bite the bullet and live with it.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Is it all doom and gloom for a newbie
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 09:20:53 PM »
midge - don't be discouraged.  There are a couple of things you need to keep in mind. 
Many surgeries and recoveries are "normal" with no complications.  Some people that don't have complications either don't post, or just post until they're recovered and are never heard from again.  So you hear from them during their recovery when they're in pain or depressed, but not after they've recovered and gotten on with their lives.  Those with more severe injuries or complications continue to post regularly for questions and support.

There are over 22,000 people registared on this site, but usually about 200 posting on a regular basis.

Have a serious disscussion with your OS about what the recovery process will be, general timelines and what the surgical results should be.

Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 09:26:25 PM »
Hi there,

It does seem rather gloomy on many threads.  Most of the folks posting are posting because something did not go right somewhere with knee surgery, rehab or whatever.  Most surgeries go just fine.  The key is to get a good diagnosis going in, so an incorrect or incomplete treatment are avoided.  It's quite likely you will be just fine and a simple scope to clean up the knee will be all you need.  However that being said, the doc may want to scope the knee to see what is really going on inside.  What he finds would determine if more surgery is necessary.  Some things can be done during the scope, somethings may need to be disussed with you before they do more.  Try not to panic and try to stay positive.  Knee problems are frusterating no matter how "big" or "small" they are.  Take care and good luck with the appointment.  Post back after with what you found out and I'm sure lots of folks would be happy to give you advice, ideas etc.  
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
Hi midge1uk,

Have to agree with the others try not to get discouraged with reading the posts most surgery goes well for the most and for the unlucky few it does not. 

I had problems after my first surgery with rehab but this time round things are looking 100 times better and the only reason I am on number 2 is that I re-injured it myself so try not to worry.  Have a long chat with the OS and let us know how things go and at least you know there is somewhere to come for advice from plenty of people from the simple procedures to the most complicated.

Good luck

Sue
 ;D
North Wales

Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 02:17:26 PM »
It's never better to live in severe pain if there are options.

My knee was first injured when I was 15. If they had the technology then that they have now I might be in better shape. My ACL was fixed and has never caused another problem 18 years later. The meniscus tear was another issue. However, after the first surgery to remove the torn bits I had quite a lot of relief from the pain and locking. The locking ended actually. I already had arthritis when this was done. I had several years of relief from severe pain and only some minor pain which was tolerable. I tore my meniscus again and once again had the torn bits removed. I can say that each time I've had arthroscopic surgery it was a big relief in terms of pain. My meniscus was removed a piece at a time. Were this to happen to my other knee I'd repeat the process. For me, arthroscopic surgery is minor stuff and a little inconvenience that lasts less than a month. Since the rewards were great I had no problem with repeat surgeries. My last surgery was a partial knee replacement. I've had great success for almost two years. I know this is not a permanent solution either but I am pain free 95% of the time so this was huge. I know I'll have to do it again but if I can get 10 years relief with this then it will have been worth it all. All the seven surgeries happened in span of 35 years.

All that being said, the majority of people have their surgery and never do it again. Some may end up with knee replacements years down the line but chances are that's going to happen whether you have the first scope or not. My husband had a partial menisectomy over 20 years ago before it was done arthroscopically. He hasn't had any problems since other than some aching probably due to arthritis. He has arthritis in the other knee as well and never had surgery on that one. So, if you're predisposed to that it's going to happen anyway.

Take care of your problem now and don't worry about the future until it happens. The only reason I come to this board is to share my own experiences. My own knee is doing very well. I couldn't be happier with the outcome of the PKR. My major issue is my shoulders and I really wish there was a shoulder guru site.

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 05:46:07 PM »
GEE thx all for responses you all have put my mind at ease. i got to admit i got a little down the other day which prompted me to start this thread. i kinda of imagined that i have a long hard slog ahead of me but hey i haven't even been properly diagnosed yet. had x-rays and doc says its post traumatic arthritis/severe waer and tear (unexpected in someone my age) and is expecting me to undergo  a scope. i'm just a little worried by what they will find and the outcome. but what ever i certainly know where to  come for advice and encouragement as typically, us little sufferers in life don;t like harrassing family with our woes,

Offline karen smith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 05:55:50 PM »
Sorry to say this but you will probably end up needing further surgery although I hopr not.  With wear and tearr they always seem to try the minimal option first. They can clean out any debris from wear and tear but more importantly they send a little camera down there to get a better look  at the extent iof the damage.  That said, once damage has been done it can't be repaired.  If your cartilage etc is wearing or has worn away, I'm afraid arthiritis is inevitable.  Saying that, they can now replace cartilage if discovered early to prevent arthiritis or future replacement, but doing that involves surgery.

It looks as though you will probably need future surgery but catching it now will hopefully mean you can avoid serious surgey in the future.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 08:37:19 PM »
Don't be discouraged too soon!! Just wait and see what the diagnosis brings to you and then take one step at the time.

My list might look long (sig), and includes a failed LR, but the TTT has been a big succes, and although my knee isn't healed, I am a very active bee, never sit still!!!!

Good luck!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 08:44:42 PM »
hi karen thx for last thread, check me out i bought a hot/cold pad and sitting here with it wrapped round my knee oh the bliss. hope the bliss goes on forever.   ;D your thread was almost word for word that my GP told me ... do something about it now he said as it may put off a early knee replacement. That shook me as my ma had a TKR and never seems to have got over it in fact i'd say she came out worse. That op was about 10 year ago and she was a old 65. so i suppose yes i have age in my favour as i class myself as a very immature  46 yr old which is probably the cause of my knee prob ...... have never learnt to act my age,
hi helena thx for encouragement think you may have met in me the worlds biggest pessimist !!! i always think the worst and be happy with whats left.

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »
Don't get discouraged!  Yes I'm on this site, but only because of a 2nd injury, unrelated to the 1st.  I got better and left this site.  I came back because the regulars here are such great people who saved me on more than one occassion the last time around.  For every gloomy story there could be 100s of great ones, it's just they have left us and moved back into a life that doesn't need us here.  I certainly don't resent the people who move on, it's what we all want.  I know it's hard not to be overwhelmed with sad tales, especially when we're feeling pretty sad for ourselves, but take heart.  I fully recovered from a broken patella and I'm determined to fully recover from a dislocated knee too.
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline stickshifty

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:21:06 PM »
I had a scope back at the beginning of May and my post-op knee was doing fine til I fell off a horse today  ::) (2 steps forward, 10 steps back).

So no, it's not always doom and gloom, buttttt unfortunately knees tend to get crazy sometimes.
7.22.2004: horseback riding accident :(
5.9.2008: scope + plica removal on left knee.
12.16.2008: de-plica-tize my right knee.
3.14.2011: lateral release + medial plication on left knee.

It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!!!!

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 11:26:35 PM »
Dreadful that you fell off your horse and hurt your bad knee but for me...it was good to see that freaky things happen to other people too and I am not cursed (as one helpful person responded to the news I was re-injured).  What did you do to your knee when you fell?  Nothing too serious I hope.

I am holding on the the feelings I had when I more or less got my life back after the fractured knee.  To the day I dislocated my knew, I marvelled, every day, at how lucky I was to be walking and driving and looking after myself and my son.  I can't put into words just how full of gratitude I was to be ok.  When my knee protested on the odd day, I just massaged and talked to it, promising a better day tomorrow.  Even when the pain was bad, I was still glad to be driving and walking. 

I have to admit things get radically better when the brace is gone and you're on just crutches, then when it was only one crutch and bliss when I walked under my own steam.  I day dream about that when I'm lying in bed now.

The best advice on of the SuperGeeks gave me, and I'm sorry, I don't remember which Angel it was:

This is a marathon, not a sprint, be patient and know everyday is a day that's a step closer to recovery.  So when I'm frustrated that i'm stuck in bed and nothing is getting done around me, I remind myself that, I'm not doing nothing, I'm healing and I can't even see how hard my body is working to get the job done:)

2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 09:53:24 AM »
The world's biggest pessimist huh? I know the feeling!! But hey it does get better believe me!

Ok last year I dislocated and broke my ankle, nothing bad, but I was cryig whe my collegue plastered me in, she said "well hey it's not THAT bad"!! Hey, this is me, active as hell, and now i had to be on crutches, with the darn plaster on, unable to work, go out and enjoy sports! BOO!! it's hell for me! 5 weeks later, after giving myself 300% in rehab, I was playing badminton again! How about that!
In june I got 1st degree burns on my hands due to an allergic reaction to FastumGel (whaaaa what do we use most at work... indeed). Both my hands were covered in Flammazine bandages still I begged out ERdoc to let me work (desk job I hate,it but hey)... Patients looked at me like  :o when I opened up our ER-door... and in emergency setttings like a resus I jumped in and did my nursing job, even with my huge packed hands  8)
In august I went through my back at work, huring like hell and bed bound immediatly, put on a perfsion for pain meds, even unable to drink my diet coke because of the pain, back in tears again, collegues asked me "is it because of the pain?" Hell no!! Well yes it was a bit, but again my brains were running overdrive : no sports, no working (things that are my life!!) lying on the couch all alone, needing help from people and I am sooooo independent as I have nobody around...

Indeed take your time, healing takes time. I am the same as you, however now I am working more hours than you can think of (work and ambbulance services), I play sports in every free moment of time I have, only other thing I do is sleep...  Took on a job on 2 other ambulance services only not to be at home... you have an idea what depression I again will be in if I have any kind of injury...? Yeps...

Good luck!!

Helena
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 08:43:52 PM »
Hey Helena,

Well, you'll just have to do your best not to get reinjured.  Which is like wishing on a star, no-one wants it to happen, guess it's why they call them accidents.

I'm hoping this dislocation will be less than I worry it is and with PT, I'll be back on deck really, really soon.
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 02:40:01 PM »
Life is what you make of it.

Yes, the possibility of post- op problems is obvious, but so is the chance you won't have many.
Some people recover faster and better than others.

Rehab takes a lot of time because there are many scenario's to consider: Scar tissue, swelling, weight bearing issues, muscle strength and tone, gait problems, etc.

You will have pain and discomfort whether you have surgery or not. I opted for TKR and the chance to live a relatively normal life. Others have not. Some decided to tough it out until they retire.

And, at the risk of angering some posters, I have seen too many TKR's at therapy who use their knee problems as an excuse to malinger and coast through life. I have heard several on this board who sound exactly like the slackers I've met in Rehab.

Another thing to remember is that this isn't life-threatening. It also isn't perfect science,either.

Good luck to you.
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

support