Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chronic Knee Pain 3 years after Plica Surgery  (Read 2082 times)

Offline jhyde692

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chronic Knee Pain 3 years after Plica Surgery
« on: October 22, 2008, 11:52:19 PM »
Hi,
I am a long time reader of this site and have learned a lot from it.  My problem is chronic pain in my right knee.  The pain is mostly non-specific - it originates within the joint (towards the back) and is a significantly painful ache.  At times I have a sharp pain on the medial side where you would typically see a meniscus tear.  These are separate pains.  I rarely see any swelling.

I had surgery about three years ago for a suspected meniscus tear, but the OS said everything looked fine when he scoped it.  The MRI didn't reveal anything either.  He did find a significantly thickened medial plica which was removed.

However, the pain persists.  I have been "dismissed" from my original OS, and I am now seeing a new one, but he is at a loss as well.  I feel really frustrated.  I am tired of constantly eating Advil.  I tried a cortisone shot about a month ago.  The flare-up immediately after the shot was horrible, and it really didn't help much long term.

Any thoughts or suggestions are really appreciated.  If nothing else, it feels good to explain my problems to people who understand what this is like, and who don't think it is all in my head! 

Thanks so much,
Jason

Offline Talli05

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: Chronic Knee Pain 3 years after Plica Surgery
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 06:01:49 AM »
Jason,

I had a similar experience with my left knee after plica removal. I showed absolutely no signs of heavy scar tissue besides having abnormally large portal scars visible on the skin. I know I had several injections and found no relief from those either. My OS did an exploratory procedure after a year of no improvement and found my knee covered in excess scar tissue. Unfortunately I'm having trouble remembering if there was an MRI done before that surgery, all the details are kind of muddled as its been years since, so I'm not sure if that would be conclusive or not.

I definitely sympathize with what you're going through. Surgeons typically like to fix you and send you on your way, they're not much for the long haul. So you might just want to mention the possibility of scar tissue to your new OS. I hope I've been of some help and I hope you find some relief soon.

- Laura
2 surgeries dedicated to plica removal. 1 to remove scar tissue in my left knee. And another “pie crusting” of my IT Band. As of 2012 I am still not recovered.

Offline jhyde692

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Chronic Knee Pain 3 years after Plica Surgery
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 01:00:50 AM »
Thanks for your comments and advice, Laura.  Your words are very encouraging.  I had an MRI last week and go back in to hear the results on Friday.  I will ask about the possibility of scaring as the source of the pain.

Luckily, my new OS seems to be really understanding and patient so far.  We will see how it goes.

Thanks again,
Jason