Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: how good is tramadol for pain releif  (Read 3070 times)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
how good is tramadol for pain releif
« on: October 22, 2008, 09:27:13 PM »
I've been prescribed Tramadol for pain releif but find the next day i feel nauseas. Apparently if you take them on a regular basis the nausea feeling stops. I  also was just wandering could taking pain killers cause more problems. i ask this because i have a slight limp due to issues with my knee. if i take pain releif and stop limping wont this excerbrate the knee problem futher ,as limping is the bodies defence against injury. anyone out understand wot im trying to say.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 05:59:41 PM by midge1uk »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: how good is tramadol for pain releif
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 06:14:36 PM »
I have found tramadol to be totally useless for pain relief. It's way down there with Darvocet in my experience.

I've had PTs tell me if I couldn't walk without limping then I should use crutches. Limping comes with its own set of problems and can cause issues with other parts of your body including your other knee, hips, back, etc. It will also make your muscles weaker which is exactly what you don't want.

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:06:20 AM »
careful with tramadol....can be addictive if taken for too long. It is supposed to be an alternative to those that cannot take codiene related pain meds like percocet,vicodin,etc

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 05:58:07 AM »
Wouldn't it be great if there was a really good pain med that didn't make you feel sick.  It always ends up being the lesser of two evils, pain relief or vomitting, take your pick.
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 01:55:15 PM »
Everyone has different reactions to drugs. It doesn't matter what they are. I can't take any heavy duty narcotic without getting sick.

On another note. Less than 5% of people that take narcotics for pain gets addicted no matter how long they are taken. If they are taken as prescribed you don't get addicted. Dependence is possible but there is a major difference between addiction and dependence. People really need to learn the difference if they don't want to take pain meds because they're afraid of getting addicted

Offline karen smith

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »
I had tramadol in hospital following surgery and it didn't do any good.  I tried it post surgery when the pain was clearly much less but needed controlling as I was exercising with physio.  Yet again, it seemed helpless.  Sorry to be negative but I'm sure you just didn't want words of ineffectual praise if it was not the truth.

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »
I can't believe they gave you tramadol post surgery. That's pure torture. I've never had anything less than morphine if they've kept me over night.

Offline alisonr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 05:14:21 PM »
hi good luck if you can tolerate tramidol the daos will give u anti sick tablets and anti intigestion  releif  to go along with your tramidol--i switched to morphin liguid then tablets 3 daily 15mg that along with ibufren 600mg and sicky tablets and constipation tablets and heart burn  the lot all together  im sure i for got what food was for a while-- supposed to have been for my arthiritis only to discover that i had split my pattela - hence extra pain c if they will try u on ibufrin 600mg big oval pink ones  :-X

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 05:35:07 PM »
hi all thx for all the responses, tis amazing what works for some and not for others. taking one tramadol lasts only a couple of hours of pain  releif but still feel a little icky the next day so two makes me feel  :P . Have noticed that my knee is paining me more through tha day that it ever has, suppose thats par for the course. have just got a heat/cold pad so going to try that later.

Offline Mrs beesknees

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:04 PM »
Have you tried Paracetamol and codeine for pain relief ? I was given this after my Oxford once my Morphia drip had been removed .I found it very effective . The dose was 1000 mgm Paracetamol & 30 mgm Codeine six-hourly plus 10 mgm  Amitryptiline at night
         Hope this helps .
                            Best wishes
                                          Diane  :D

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »
hi thx for responding i can't tolerate codeine. Amitryptiline may do later on as can sort out the pain and depression at the same time.!!!

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 08:34:37 PM »
we often give Tramadol IV (on ER) but in combination with Litican, which is an anti-nausea drug. First we give Praracetamol, if that doesnt work Tramadol IV (as mentioned above), if that doesn't kick the pain it's over to the more "heavy" drugs... only given under monitoring.

Tramadol has 2 major side-effects :
a) it causes nausea and vomiting (esp when taken on an empty stomach)
b) it CAN be addictive wen taken too long

Hope this helps

Helena

Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline MD-F

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 09:42:06 PM »
Hi

I'm post op and taking tramadol, paracetamol and ibuprofen, I did feel sick the first few days on tramadol but this has settles down, I have found having something light to eat before the ibuprofen and tramadol helps (plus on the sofa very bored so any excuse for biscuits!!)

I have found taking a mixture of the 3 (as prescribed) works really well

Hope things get better soon
MD-F :-*

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 11:05:06 PM »
Tramadol only put me to sleep...so I guess it worked.

Anyway, pain killers only mask the knee problem you have and will allow you to make it worse.

I was bone on bone for 11 months using pain killers, a mistake in hindsight.

Good Luck
Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline Doc79316

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • OSCAR
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 11:25:08 PM »
Hi,

After several unsuccessful surgeries and intense paind 24/7 I now take :

200mg MST (slow release morphine) 2 x daily
1000mg Paracetamol 4 x daily
1200mg Ibuprofen (big pink ones) 3 x daily
300mg Lyrica (Gabapentin) 2 x daily
50mg Amitriptyline 2 x daily
Approx 300ml Oramorph (liquid morphine) ever day (as and when required)

Admittedly it's takn time to build up to this level of drug use but if it takes away even a littel of the pain, in my opinio it's well wrth it. Solong as your doctors are aware of what you're taking and how it affect syou, then will help you stop taking it as and when the time comes.

Don't ever be afraid of obtaiing medical help (including prescription drugs) for pain. It's true that limping sets off a new set of problems if it's over a long period of time, but so does using crutches. Thanx to using walking aid, I now have problems with my hands and back, as well as my left knee.

Everyone is different though and you need to find out what will work for you so can have he best quality of life for you personally. It's mostly by trial and error but you will know if somethign works foryou or not almost straight away.

Take care,

Laura xx
Left knee surgery
08/06/02 - L/Release
13/08/03 - Fulkerson TTT
05/06/05 - Stabilisation & Medialisation/Tendon Transfer
13/01/06 - Proximal Hamstring Superior Stabilisation
06/03/06 - RSD/CRPS diagnosed
20/07/06 + 03/04/07- Excision of scar tissue
30/07/07 - PKR suggested by OS (no date yet)

support