Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: dealing with pain any advice please  (Read 1862 times)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
dealing with pain any advice please
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:07:51 PM »
hi all thought i'd ask for advice on how to cope with the night pain i get from my knee. I am yet to be diagnosed= appt end of this month but GP after x-rays says i have post traumatic arthritis, also saying there was severe wear and tear. i sought his help because i was taking 1600mg of ibuprofen just to get through the bad nights hes prescribed tramadol but they really make me feel **** the next day. i have a job that i  need to keep my concentration levels up, so i have a choice sleepless night or feel icky for most of the next day. anyone got any advice for me PS amputation from the neck down is not an option!!!!!

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: dealing with pain any advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »
Have you ever seen an OS(orthopedic surgeon) ? Maybe time to make an appointment.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14:51 PM »
hi i'm form the UK were a  bit slow over here, got an appt with orthopedic triage at end of this month to be diagnosed get a bit down with pain though

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:57:41 PM »
Can you see your GP for a different pain med?
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline kelly29uk

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 09:37:51 PM »
hi

i have chronic pain too and i find heat pad helps and massage to the muscles that support my knee.  I also find that having my knee on a pillow in bed also helps, along with painkillers.

My doctor put me on an anti-depressant and tramadol and i foundd no help from them ..other than feeling spaced out too

Kelly

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
ice works for me. when things get really bad i take hydrocodone. works well, but i can only take it during down time. it makes me sleepy.

Offline knee-will-be-great

• Forum Faithful
  • Open-wedge HTO & ACL allograft done (YES!)
    • ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 02:40:36 PM »
My extremely, severely osteoarthritic knee felt considerably better (no pain) after having all of the loose bodies in the knee removed and the articulating joint surfaces shaved and smoothed.  Previously my OS stated that the articulating joint surfaces looked like "shag carpet", hence the reason (one of the reasons) for my extreme pain and discomfort.  Also, I had to have an ACL allograft to give my knee stability.

You need to find out exactly what the problems is, and what can be done to alleviate the problem.

Knee-will-be-great.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:36:15 PM by knee-will-be-great »
Medial Menisectomy, 1 ACL Autograft, 3 ACL Allografts, HTO, numerous debridements, good now :)
ACL Allograft #3 Post-Surgery Rehab/Wellness Diary http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37218.0;all
ACL Reconstruction VIDEOS http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=37773.0

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 04:28:56 PM »
thx all for responses will keep a i out for pads that can both heat or freeze. have tried the pillow technique but that only works when slepping on my back nothing seems to work when on im sleeping on my sides. i will go back to my GP and ask for different pain releif not sure what though cos i can't tolerate codiene based medication..thx again all these threads are good therapy.

Offline jaycat62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »
Hi there, i'm from the uk too and have just had a chondroplasty, well 12 weeks ago,and i'm still in quite a bit of pain too. I use co codamol, and naprosyn with an enteric coating, and a wheat heat pack. At night at first i used a pillow too.

Problem here was i could only get physio for 6 weeks after the op unles i went private. So be aware of that fact as well. Goodluck when you see your consultant.

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 01:45:50 PM »
hi jaycat62 thx for your response at the mo i'm trying to ride throughthe pain as quite honestly i don't like taking tablets full stop. i will take if i really can't cope or if the pain is depressing me. i can't tolerate codeine so tramadol seems to be the answer for me. im form Hampshire and the few times i have had PT for other reasons there was no limit on visits. interestingly i approached the pt about my knee problem last year and was told it was sciatica!!!!! I know sometimes knee pain can be referred from a back problem but i knew i wasn't suffering from sciatica so stopped going.

Offline bavage

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Meniscectomy 8/07 TKR 7/08 MUA 10/08
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 04:19:24 AM »
I understand. Here's what I use to do....

Strapped an ice pack to my knee with a long ACE bandage and replaced it when it no longer is effective.

Stayed off my feet as much as possible.

For the night pain I sometimes applied rubbing alcohol and then waved a magazine over the alcohol to cool the knee down.

Hope some of these help you.

Certified Dietary Manager, ServSafe Proctor, Options Trader.           

AKA, The Curmudgeon

Offline Lyndsey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • Crooked and Twisted!
    • Knee Pics at Photobucket
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
Hi,

I know what you mean, I don't like taking meds unless I absolutely have to. My legs are crooked, I had my right femur derotated and the pain is gone from my knee, but now the metal plate in my hip is awful. My still twisted left leg causes me alot of pain too. Sometimes 800mg Motrin will do the trick.

Here's what I do:
Ice or Heat, depending on which part hurts

I use Biofreeze. Have you ever tried it? It usually takes some of the edge off for a little bit.

I have a TENS Unit that has been a lifesaver! I love it. When I can't fall asleep at night because of the pain, I put it on and I can usually fall asleep.

I try to distract myself. I have a PS 2 and since I have trouble moving around and post op of surgery on crutches, Guitar Hero has been a huge outlet. I let myself get lost in the game, and then the pain isn't as bad.

Hope you have a good day, and your pain eases up. I know how awful it can be, so I hope you find some relief!

Take care!
Lyndsey

5/15/08      R femoral derotational osteotomy
1/19/09      L femoral derotational osteotomy
12/17/09  hardware removal (L&R femoral blade plates and screws)
10/28/10 removal of bone chip and cleanup of scar tissue on left
4/2014 15 deg. Re-rotation of L Femur
9/2014 L. Plate Removal & Fix Fracture

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 09:18:58 PM »
hi to the last two threads got to admit had to smile  ;D at bavages top tip about alcohol!!!!!!! tried drinking alchohol and that helped me forget where the pain ws coming from but apparently some say thats not the answer   !!!!!. MMMMmmmm tens machine not thought of that one may go down that line lyndsey thx. had a real bad nite on monday and had to take tramadol at bedtime pain releif lasted 1hour and 20minutes oh **** had a real bad nite after that just wanted to boo hoo  :'( lots and lots stilll tomorrow my appt with orthopedic choice clinic never been to one any uk friends and suffererers know what this is all about  ???

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:00:30 PM »
Hey there,

We all have bad days and nights sometimes.  It's nice to have a place to vent about it.  At least you know folks understand what you are going through.  I have nights that nothing seems to work at calming the pain and am a wreak the next day, then I'll have a great night.  It does not always follow rhyme or reason.  If the tramadol is not enough, as about something else to use at night.  I used to actually get pretty good results with ibuprofin and acetomenophen together.  That can a bit hard on your stomach though so ask your doc about it.  Hope you are feeling better.  Good luck at the clinic.
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline mnanc

• Regular Poster
  • tkr 12/17/08
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 10:20:28 PM »
so here's the truth: i'm absolutely fed up with the pain, will do anything to avoid it/stop it/make it go away. i'm ready with the pills and the alcohol, neither in excess, but they seem to do well together. i'd rather sleep through pain than deal with it. i cannot believe i'm saying this, but the idea that i will be dealing with pain for the rest of my life is overwhelming. never in my wildest dreams did i imagine this for myself. i was always on top of things, ready to run, exercise, go beyond where everyone else could go, and here i am, at 57, counting steps, how many are there, subtracting from my daily quota of steps because i can only take so many before i tip the scales. i'm sick of it sick of it sick of it. i'd like to leave my body behind, start a new existence in a new body. wish i believed in reincarnation, but i don't, so i guess that's not an option. i'm tired of having to explain, tired of not being able to do whatever, tired of it all. our bodies are CRAP.

support