Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What could i have done....should it be looked at?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline catwoman88

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
What could i have done....should it be looked at?
« on: October 21, 2008, 06:15:02 PM »
So I fell on my knees about 4 weeks ago onto a concrete floor, since then my good knee is causing me all sorts of issues, my Ortho (who i've only emailed) says he sounds like just overuse of the knee due to me hobbling around on it for so long on it due to arthrofibrosis in my bad knee (1 3/4 years from original problem) and extra pressure, but i am so frustrated as i am thinking its more than that esp. since the injury 4 weeks ago but he does not want to even check it out or anything  ::) - I have surgery due on the bad knee in December.

Since i fell on it my symptoms are....alot of pain to walk on it and go up and down stairs and it aches. The pain is on the lateral side of the knee and it's tender there, it's also clicking/ locking (i have to bend and straighten it to get it back) and it feels like it may give way on me again (it has done once). I cannot tell if its swollen as i've not got a good knee to compare it to. I've been RICEing it and using crutches when i can (but I find that they also make the knee sore due to extra pressure). However the pain / clicking has not got any better, it seems to be getting worse. I got out of the car today and had this awful pinching feeling going on too, the pain is getting too much. I dread having to walk anywhere now as i know it will hurt. It also hurts on the inside of the knee when walking today also. 

I don't know if i should wait this out and possibly damage the knee further, i am going on holiday in a few weeks and i'll be doing alot of walking/hobbling and that will damage it more no doubt. Is it unreasonable to ask to see him so he can check it out or should i just see my PT as maybe he can see if its damaged?. I am just scared as he's not even seen the knee since i hurt it and I only had 1 good knee and if this messes up i'm really going to be stuck!. Does it sound okay to take this and wait 2 more months?, i just assumed he'd ask to see the knee incase there is an issue?. HELP!.  ???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 06:41:08 PM by catwoman88 »
Jan 2007  Pre-patellar bursitis?
Jan 2008  Scope
Mar 2008  LOA & cast
June2008 LOA, cortisone back of knee & cast
Dec 2008 Open posterior capsule release (5 other procedures done at same time) - nerve damage as a result
Aug 2010 Scope left knee - plica removed
Mar 2011 Still -35 ext loss :'(

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: What could i have done....should it be looked at?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 07:00:26 PM »
Why don't you just make an appointment with the doctor? I wouldn't bother calling or e-mailing. There's absolutely no way he can help you without doing an exam.

Offline catwoman88

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 07:29:59 PM »
Well i did think its kind of weird that he just says wait it out and does not seem to want to see the knee at all!. I just don't like being pushy - its pathetic i know (its the reserved Brit in me!)!. But on the other hand i don't want to wait and see if I will damage the knee anymore either by waiting till the other knee is fixed, that going to be months down the line with rehab after the Op - not good. 
Jan 2007  Pre-patellar bursitis?
Jan 2008  Scope
Mar 2008  LOA & cast
June2008 LOA, cortisone back of knee & cast
Dec 2008 Open posterior capsule release (5 other procedures done at same time) - nerve damage as a result
Aug 2010 Scope left knee - plica removed
Mar 2011 Still -35 ext loss :'(

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 07:51:42 PM »
Personally, I don't see how making an appointment is being pushy. That's what doctors are there for after all. I wouldn't put any stock in his email message. It's seems pretty obvious he wants you to make up your own mind whether to go see him or not.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 04:22:30 AM »
Go make an appointment. You're obviously in pain and you're going to keep worrying about it until you get it checked out. Why put yourself through 2 months of worry? You certainly won't be able to enjoy your vacation if you're afraid of doing more damage to your knee. Also, if there is something wrong, you'll need to know about it before you have the surgery done on the other knee, especially if that one will require you to be NWB. It may mean changing your priorities and getting the left knee treated first.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline dimples3887

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 07:54:50 PM »
From the sounds of your symptoms, you've probably done a number to that knee.  Until you can get in to see your MD, I just wanted to suggest a walking gait on your crutches.  You put a leg and the opposite crutch forward together so LEFT leg with RIGHT crutch, RIGHT leg with LEFT crutch.  I know it sounds funny but with two bad knees, it seems to help me take a little pressure off of both knees when I need to. 

This website has a movie called the 2-point gait which is similar to the walking gait I learned.  http://www.walkeasy.com/interact/crutch_gait2.asp

Good luck with everything! I hope you're feeling better soon!
21 yrs. old
LK: 6/02-LR(fail)
     9/05-MRI shows patella bone bruise
     12/15/05-Medial reefing, LR, patella debridement (fail)
     TTT to be scheduled after RK TTT rehab is done...
Pain, clicking, and crepitus in both knees now...
RK: 11/19/08 - TTT

support