Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Does anyone know what is causing this?  (Read 809 times)

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Does anyone know what is causing this?
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:58:40 PM »
    I've had ongoing left knee problems for the past 3 years (some background info can be found in my other post http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=44665.0).  One of my symptoms is a catching feeling directly above my kneecap.  I provided a picture below (it's not my knee)  and circled the area where I get this feeling.  It occurs when I am sitting in a chair and fully extending then bending my knee back to a normal,bent position (shown in the second picture).  I get the 'catching' when I flex my knee back to the bent position.  To get the feeling to go away, I have to bend and flex my knee a few times.  Has anyone ever had this or know what is causing this? 
    If I put my hand on the circled area in the first picture, I also feel a crunching feeling most of the time.  Do you think that this could be related to the catching? 
    I'm going back to my ortho in a week or two (I just had an MRI today and will schedule an appointment when he calls me with the results) and am going to discuss a Lateral Release as an option.  Would this procedure clear this up? 

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Does anyone know what is causing this?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 05:31:36 PM »
I forgot to add that the problems with my knee were not caused by an injury.   :)

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
Re: Does anyone know what is causing this?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 06:35:59 PM »
I could be wrong but i have that grinding feeling in my knees when i bend or straighten them and it is Chondromalacia. I would only recommend a Lateral Release as a last option. I have had 1 on my left knee , but 10 years later I still have the crunching and grinding and my knee with catch and pop loudly. And the second one that I had done on my right knee was horrible. at 6 months post op i only have 65 degree ROM in my knee and i still having that a catching feeling in my knee. So it did not help my problems >:(
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee