Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial Plateau Lesion  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Dwimmerlaik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial Plateau Lesion
« on: October 20, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
Approximately two weeks ago, I had an arthroscopic procedure to repair what the surgeon thought was a lesion on my medial condyle.  Unfortunately, during the procedure, he discovered that the lesion is actually on the Medial Tibial Plateau.  This was the fourth arthroscopic procedure I've had performed on my right knee over the past 15 years (my first one was in 1993).  The first procedure was to repair a tear to my medial meniscus which was unsuccessful.  The 2nd & 3rd procedures involved removing portions of the medial meniscus that had become torn causing joint pain, locking, etc.

During the most recent procedure, the surgeon removed additional torn material on the medial side and discovered the lesion hiding below.  It's fairly good size and already has bone spurs and arthritis developing within and around it.

The surgeon mentioned that there wasn't anything he could do to repair the problem.  I asked about replacement or partial replacement surgery and he indicated that I'm too young (I'm 36) for that since the replacement would not last for the remainder of my expected life and should it need to be replaced in the future, there was a risk of bone loss.

Prior to the procedure, he mentioned ACI as a possibility, but dismissed that once he discovered the size and location of the lesion.  At this point, I'm looking for options on what I can do.  From what I understand, the lesion will continue to deteriorate and worsen causing increased pain and discomfort.  The pain is already bad enough that it's a constant daily condition to which I have had to resign myself and I'm not looking forward to years of future pain and lack of functionality.

My surgeon did mention an experimental implant procedure, but he didn't go into details and I was still pretty out of it at the time.  Does anyone have any suggestions or information on what options I might have?  At this point, I'm trying to locate information that I can research while I recover from the most recent procedure.

Thanks in advance...

Offline Dwimmerlaik

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tibial Plateau Lesion
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 05:48:07 PM »
Hmm, I was hoping that my post would generate more interest and possible ideas from the audience here.  Unfortunately, I'm pretty bummed about this whole thing and I was hoping for some encouragement and/or suggestions on what I might do.

At this point, I'm just not sure what my options are.  Is a TKR or PKR the only possible solution to the problem?  If so, am I too young at 36 to have the procedure performed?  My existing surgeon didn't seem interested in all at performing a TKR, so should I try and find a different surgeon and seek out a 2nd opinion?  If so, how would I go about locating another surgeon?  My current one was suggested by my primary physician and came highly recommended by others I spoke with.  I'm not sure how to go about locating another surgeon to consult with.

Any ideas, encouragement, or thoughts would be welcome.