Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Chondroplasty recovery pain levels.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline jaycat62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondroplasty recovery pain levels.
« on: October 20, 2008, 12:03:59 PM »
Hi everyone, this is my first post on your site, so can I just say hello first.

I've lived with knee pain for about 12 years, both knees. I finally deciced to have surgery 3 months ago on my right knee. Surgeon said it was a grade 3 on his scale of 1-4. He shaved femour , patella, tibia and fibula.

What he did not tell me was the length of recovery time!! Up until last week I was able to walk about 30 mins each day and on a good day cycle on a static bike for 8 mins. I was down to 2 anti inflams a day and 1 major painkiller, with 2 added if they were bad. I still have one bad knee as well as one operated knee, which he wants to operate on in 6 months time, yeah right!!

Due to financial probs my partner thought it would be a good idea to find me a cleaning job for 3 hours a week. This has now done so much damage, I slept most of the weekend just to ease the pain, and both knees are still killing me, 3 days after I did the work. For the first time since the op I went up a flight of stairs. 15 in all.

I feel right back at square one. Have I done real damage or will they recover? I thought at last I may have been doing ok, but this feels as though it's ruined everything.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Chondroplasty recovery pain levels.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 12:23:26 PM »
I had chrondroplasty drilling on the Medial femur condoyle and Lateral Femur condoyle  along with a partial  meniscus removal. The instructions for me was weightbear as tolerated. I was told upfront that it could take at least 6 months to be the best I was going to be after surgery. I did alot of PT for the first month - Very weak and Aqua therapy for about 9 months.

My question to you is have you seen your doctor post op yet?  Have you been going to physical therapy?

Call your doctor up and get some of your questions responded too.   

Chrondroplasty is where little holes are done in to your femur to bleed and form the end of the chicken bone shiney cartlidge.   In the spots where you have bone showing.   

Did you doctor mention how extensive the damage was?   Mine for example said he did what he could but it was only a bandaid procedure > I would need a TKR upon waking up in the hospital. 11 months later I had my knee replaced.

Offline jaycat62

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Chondroplasty recovery pain levels.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »
Hi,

the damage was on is scale of 1-4, mine was 3. I saw him 6 weeks after the op. and he said he will see me at the beginning of next year, and see what's going on and when to do the other knee. He said he'd shaved the damaged cartilage off the knee and I'm now waiting for teh scar tissue to grow.

I've had all my physio, as in the uk you can only have 6 weeks post op unless you then go private. I do exercises that I was given eg leg lifts, hip extensions, cycilng and balance exercises. I'mjust afriad i'm doing even more damage through the recovery period. At my age here (46) I don't think a replacement is an option yet.

Thanks for your reply.