Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: What can I do next?  (Read 734 times)

Offline LynnJ57

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
What can I do next?
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:02:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

Good to see that with the power of the internet that a forum like this exists!  I have a couple of questions that I'm hoping I can get some advice about.  Before I do that, I'll give you a brief history here...

I am a 34 year old male.  I played college football, specifically, offensive line.  Of course, playing that position meant I was a fairly large individual, topping out around 305-310lbs.  When I was done college, I got my bodyweight down to about 220-230lbs, which is where I'm at today - I'm now pushing hard for 200-210 range, though I'm 15% bodyfat or so now.  Towards the end of my career, my right knee filled with fluid a couple of times, eventually leading to a couple of surgeries - both just a scope/cleanup session.  After my career though, things got a little bit worse, and so in 1999-2000 range, I ended up having cartilage from a cadaver transplanted into this knee as it was recommended to me by the sports doc who I worked with - there was significant cartilage gone and he said I was too young for a total knee replacement.  I cut out all running, squatting, and other tough load bearing exercises other than walking.  Most of my exercise comes from biking, typically an indoor recumbent(sp) bike.  Lately(last few weeks), this same knee has been giving me fits in that taking stairs, and even walking is causing a sharp pain in the outside/back of my knee.  I especially noticed this the other day as  I went for a long walk, including some hills - to the point I had to stop.  If I point my toe out, the pain subsides, but I'm sure this isn't a good plan.  So, here are my questions...

1)What technologies exist today to replace cartilage - any improvements since 1999-2000 range?  What are the limitations of these procedures?

2)Any thoughts on what the current pain is?  Is this just over use of certain muscles?

3)Other thoughts? 

I'll likely go see a doc soon, but I haven't researched knee issues much since my surgery 8+ years ago.  I'm scheduled to walk a 1/2 marathon in about 1.5 months, but I'm thinking that is out unless I'm feeling a LOT better.  And even then, it's probably not a good idea.  Thanks!!!

Lynn

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: What can I do next?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »
There are different types of procedures. The easiest is to read around but even better go see an OS.
All depends on how severe the damages are and where they are.
There are different types where you can transplant cartilage, plugs if necessery, for some osteotemies is a solution or a PKR if the damages are bigger.
I would definately go see an OS first as there are some years since you saw one.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline tannerweisz

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 01:44:44 AM »
I feel ya on the Football injuries. I'm slated to get my ACL replaced and some meniscus repair.  Was playing  Nose tackle for a USMC team.. The play before I got hurt I hit their QB untoched from behind (one of those sportcenter worthy hits) and broke his collar bone.. the next play I got chop blocked from one side while about 3 more people fell on me from the other side.. From how loud the pop was I thought my femur snapped.. It ended up just being the ligaments snapping and my knee dislocating..

Anywho... the pain you are talking about sounds alot like the pain I'm having and thats all due to the meniscus damage from what my OS is telling me. If you can turn your foot out to one side there is might be some scar tissue or something inside the joint that they would be able to scope out fairly easily..  I'm not quite as well informed as alot of these guys are but I've been reading constantly for the last month or so to get myself ready for the surgery I'm about to have.

Best of luck to ya man.

Offline celinenj03

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
What cartilage did you damage? Your meniscus or your articular? What procedure did you have done already? How large is the area of damage? There are more options since 99 but unfortunately to date, still no real cure for cartilage damage. It sucks doesn't it? So unfair!
Terrible Triad - 1/16/06 - Basketball
3/15/06 - Scope/Cleanout of to achieve full ROM
5/3/06 - Surgery-ACL Reconstruction-Allograft
9/12/07 - Large Loose body removed;Grade 4 Lesion on LFC
9/17/08-Microfracture, Lateral Release (all right knee)

support