Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Hello ppl. Help?  (Read 884 times)

Offline xMisssThisx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello ppl. Help?
« on: October 20, 2008, 07:30:17 PM »
This summer I stepped on a binder in my room and it slipped on something else. I fell forward and my knee hit the refridgerator (sp?) door and bled. It didn't hurt too bad, then again, I have high tolerance for pain. I had it bandaged. Weeks later it started hurting again, as if it were displaced. I kept asking to see a doctor, but my mom would NOT make the appointment (I'm 13 years old, mind you.) She kept saying she would. So two weeks ago she made the appointment on tuesday. She took a look at it. Now, It's as though there's fluid in there, it's bigger than the other. And it hurts constantly. Doctor says I have to keep it elevated. But, living in a mobile home, it's a little impossible. I had to go to the doc last week for abdominal pain, slim chance it's appendicitis (I think it's a cyst). Back to the knee::. I have not kept it elevated, or iced it. I'm just the active type of person, and there's no way I'd keep it elevated in here, just no place for it  :(

So there you have it. Help? ???

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
Re: Hello ppl. Help?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 08:01:05 PM »
The only thing I can say is follow the doctor's orders and keep it elevated (above the heart) and ice it.  It may be hard, but its what needs to get done.
Many of us on this site are very active, but we understand that to stay active we need to take care off ourselves - especially our knees.
If you follow this instructions for 1 week and there's still no improvement, then ask your mother to take you back to the doctor's for further examination.
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 08:10:07 PM »
Here's the deal with knees; you have to take care of them. If you keep doing things that hurt it will keep hurting. I'm sure you have a bed in your mobile home, if you have a bed you can put a pillow under your knee and keep it elevated. So you haven't done any of the things you were told to do so I'm wondering what you're expecting us to tell you?

Offline xMisssThisx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
Yeah.. Kinda living in a trailer, with about 4 feet of space, and two younger siblings. I'm going back to the doctor tomorrow.
I've also been kind of wondering what doctors do to reduce (if at all) fluid.  :(
The way I'm sitting now if I elevated my leg it would terribly stress the muscle (I'm no dancer) causing pain. My leg would go numb.

[MT]

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:56:19 PM »
To reduce the fluid they'll stick a needle in your knee and drain it out.

Offline xMisssThisx

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:57:35 PM »
O.O 

D:

I am terrified of needles.

[MT]

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
If you're terrified of needles then maybe you should find a way to keep your leg elevated.