Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Fishing for a diagnosis  (Read 679 times)

Offline bhegccdp

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Fishing for a diagnosis
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:47:52 PM »
New to the board, old hand at injury, non-surgical.  Am 42 very active male, as I reckon most on here are (active).  Several weeks back, I was doing pushups spreadeagles holding down two 15lb dumbbells - do it as normal part of my routine with trainer.  After pushing up, I rotate to one side and deadlift the dumbell up, a combo lat lift / deltoid rotator excercise.  When doing this part, I think I overpressured my right knee, pushing myt leg down intot he floor for stability.

Later the next day, my knee felt brusied inside - palpitating around it, some soreness on the inside medial attach point to my quad, sllight pain, "a "cloudy" feeling instead of clean, when extending my leg.  Its been 3 weeks now, and in general have a soft dull achey feeling when standing up, again on the medial side of the knee, and a bruised feeling when I extend, deep down in the knee.

First thoguht it might be hyperextended, but I have no swelling, or undue motion when passive in the joint itself, lending me to believe that no ligaments were at stake.  The residual pain is mostly on my the inside.  I am thinking a precautionary MRI.  Naturally, I have a masters ski racing camp in two weeks to start the season, and would be severely depressed were I to have a set back here. 

But priority rules, and old age is welcoming me without any impediments.....any thoughts?

Many thanks

Christopher

Offline Beda

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 1
    • Bedas Atelier
Re: Fishing for a diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 03:57:13 AM »
Christopher - I would, in the event that your having a skiing event in two weeks time, seek that MRI if you can get it just to rule out serious injury. It would be awful if you did yourself  a damage whilst skiing because that knee has a predisposed injury. So even though it may be nothing other than satisfying your peace of mind, do it, you cant LOOSE anythig by doing it.
Greetings beda
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 04:01:02 AM by Beda »
'79 trauma v.knee
'81surgery patella lux.
'84 osteochondritis dissecans
'86 osteotomy
until now 16 knee surgerys ink. 6 failed tkr. pretty much exhausted all areas and types of surgical proceedures for knees
all TKR's loosened & failed
2008 wait for Final arthrodesis
constant pain

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: Fishing for a diagnosis
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 03:31:45 PM »
I agree. I wouldn't go skiing without first getting an MRI. You can do some pretty serious damage to your knee and be relatively pain free. I tore my ACL in half and was playing volleyball a couple weeks later. That ended very badly for me as my knee collapsed and I was on the floor in the worst pain of my life.