Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: arthroscopy what can i expect  (Read 1334 times)

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • If you can't walk the walk then stay and talk
arthroscopy what can i expect
« on: October 19, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
hi i'm michelle can anyone tell me what is the after effects of a arthroscopy- how long will i be off my feet etc.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:46:27 PM by midge1uk »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: arthroscopy what can i expect
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 07:52:59 PM »
Your question is impossible to answer since you have not provided any information about why you're having surgery. Arthroscopy is just the technique used to do the surgery. Your answers are 100% dependent on what gets done during the arthroscopy. The best person to answer this is your doctor since he's the only one that knows what he's going to be doing.

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 08:22:36 PM »
Hi Michelle,
what makes this such a difficult question is that everyone's surgery is unique and we all heal differently. It would help to know what your surgery is going to involve. Even with that information, though, it's hard to predict the outcome. Surgeons often find more damage than they expected once they get inside the knee, so they may need to do more work than they intended.
If you look at my signature (down below my post), you'll see that I've had more than a few scopes and each of them has been different. The recovery for a simple meniscus tear is a lot faster than that for a microfracture or an LR. If you let me know what you're having done, though, I'll try to help answer some of your questions.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:08:51 PM »
hi thx for the responses ;D thought i'd start at the beginning in the hope someone out there may be able to advice me futher. 2 yrs ago i kinda did the splits my RTwentstraight out but lt leg folded under me with the inner side of my knee slamming into the hard floor. the next day i coldn't straighten it for days and the swelling was bad. three or so days later could walk almost ok. for a while after though couldn't cope with kneeling on it, For the last 18 months been in real bad pain mainly  at nitecouldn't sleep on either side as knee pain to intense. Saw my GP recently and X-rays confirm severe arthritis this i presume is post traumatic arthritis. I am due to see OS and my GP mentioned likelyhood of arthroscopy and that they may shave some bone away to i gather prompt the cells to regrow with fibro something or other cartlidge

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 06:33:16 PM »
I would guess that intially they would use te arthroscopy to tidy up the joint and to deal with any loose bits of cartilage and to diagnose the full extent of the damage.  If there was something more serious to be done this would be likely to take place later after they have had a good look.  I am guessing you are in the UK by your user name and therefore this would be their likely method.

To recover very much depends on what they do when they are in there and what your pain thrsholds etc are.  Some people, like myself walked out of the hospital from an arthroscopy ( i have had 2 ) without crutches, and was back at work in a swimming pool within a week.  Others need the crutches for a while.

Generally speaking a simple arthroscopy would have you wieght bearing straight away.  Sometimes physio would be prescribed and how quickly this would happen on the NHS would very much depend on where in the UK you are.

You would have 2 small cuts on either side of your knee, and the arthroscopy is generally done on day surgery with you coming out of hospital on the same day.

Hope this might answer some of your questions, feel free to ask more.

Lisa   
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 07:41:22 PM »
thx ;) i have read up a lot about what the problem could be and am torn 'get the pun' withdamaged meniscus medial side and probable ligament damage as i can't bend into the knee on bad days. i am suffering more pain through the day guessing that this is because i am on my feet all day. i have been prescribed opioid analgesics but try not to take these too often as they make feel like ****. some nights i want to cry  :'( with the pain and i pride myself in having a high pain thresh hold. I didn't need any pain relief when i had my galbladder removed via keyhole much to the suprise of hospital staff. a lot of people describe swelling to the knee joint i did initialy when injury happened but just a little bit now is this usual.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:44:04 PM by midge1uk »

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
I had very little swelling when I tore my ACL in half. And I was walking pretty well in a couple of days. So lack of swelling really means nothing. Have you seen an orthopedic surgeon yet? I didn't see where you've had an MRI. X-rays are pretty much useless for seeing soft tissue damage so I wouldn't put a lot of stock in what your GP said. Wait until you see an OS and get an MRI.

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 08:22:58 PM »
hi jathib  :D thx for replying only saw doc beginninig of sept and in his words x-ray showed up excessive wear and tear resulting in arthritis caused through trauma, i'm not due to see orthopedic triage till end of month but would like to be forewarned and all that. got to say impressed with speed of things as englands NHS has had a bit of a rough run in the past. Apologies to all that are really suffering with obvious serious knee problems in comparison my knee problem seems more like a stubbed toe. my heart goes out to u all  :-X

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 06:04:11 PM »
No need to apologize, Midge. We're here to support one and all, no matter how big or small the issue. Your knee problem is just as important as anyone else's.

I've had quite a few meniscus trims, and my recovery has depended on how large or small they were. With the smaller tears, I've bounced back in a few weeks, but with the larger ones, it has usually taken a few months before I was completely pain-free again and walking normally. In either case, my op leg has been diffiicult to walk on for the first 2 weeks, and my OS has always advised taking it very easy. Whether or not you're asked to use crutches afterwards depends on your particular doctor. Some like their patients to be on them for a week or two, just to protect the area, others think it best to get you walking with full weight on it right away. That's a question you should ask when you see the OS.

If your OS finds worn spots in the cartilage going down to the surface of the bone, he may perform a technique called microfracture. You can find information on this on the kneeguru homepage. If you have this done, you'll probably have to be non-weightbearing for 6-8 weeks. This is another thing you should ask about. You certainly don't want to wake up from surgery and find out suddenly that you won't be able to walk on the leg for over a month. I'm guessing you'll want to make arrangements for such a possibility at your job, since you mentioned being on your feet all day.

That's all I can think of to tell you right now. Ligament injuries are not part of my experience, so I can't advise on those. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 07:36:10 PM »
terre thx very much for your informative reply. :)  its good to chat with others about 'stupid knee' as i call it, unprintable names when it really hurts. As I said earlier although i suffer through the day but the pain really gets me at night, i've tried pillows to support stupid knee but that don't seem to help. i was taking ibuprofen but got to 1600mg  :o just to get through the night, GP has prescribed opioid analgesics but although work better than ibuprofen they make me feel like  **** the next day. Anyone out thier got any top tips that i can try  ???

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 07:59:03 PM »
I've always found ice to be the best thing for nighttime pain. Any possibility you can get your hands on some kind of cryo-cuff unit? This is a cuff that you fill with ice water from a cooler and it wraps around your knee with velcro straps. I've often gone to sleep with it on. Mine was given to me by the hospital after my first op, but I think you can buy them from medical supply places. You could probably find an online source.
Terre
    9/08 MF

Offline midge1uk

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2008, 08:12:12 PM »
terre thx again i was looking at something similar today at work kinda like a wheat bag but filled with cherry stones but it said nothing of putting it in the freezer. Wont putting something cold on stupid knee cause more problems as i was told cold damp weather may wind it up more

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2008, 11:42:32 PM »
It's not the same thing, Midge. Cold and damp can aggravate knee problems, yes, but that has more to do with changes in air pressure. Ice placed directly on the sore spot will numb the pain. It's what most doctors and therapists recommend.
Terre
    9/08 MF

support