Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Is There Any Members On Board That Cant Run?  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Is There Any Members On Board That Cant Run?
« on: October 19, 2008, 02:22:11 PM »
The days finally arrived its now been 1 year since I fell onto the pavement while jogging back on 19th October 2007. I could still run after the fall and finshed my circuit but the next day the knee swelled up and not been able to run since.

I was woundering about other members on the board what their situation is with regards to being able to run or not. I not yet seen an OS yet but on the way to seeing one within the next few weeks I hope. Have some members had a scope before they could run again or has the OS said you wont ever be able to run again.

If members on this board cant run how long has it been for, months or a couple of years. I also cant walk that fast and could accept that I might not be able to walk at a fast pace again but what I like to be able to is go out jogging again.

Nick :) {2008} :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:11:04 PM by Clarkey »
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
Is There Any Members On Board That Cant Run?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 04:10:10 PM »
I rewrote my main title as I am sure there are Members on this board who also cant run or walk at a fast pace.

I am intrested to know how long other Members have not been able to run for and if a scope helped or not.

Nick  :) {2008} :)

« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 04:12:16 PM by Clarkey »
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair

Offline Nettan

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 7
  • Stronger then yesterday...thanks Sis...
Re: Is There Any Members On Board That Cant Run?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:14:03 PM »
Nick, all depends on what the problem is.
Surgery 6 times left knee torn meniscus, RSDS,chondromalacia, nervdamage cause constant nervpain,chronic inflamm.
Spinaldamage wheeler 100%.
Right knee damaged aug-06, use brace surgery 4/9-07.LCL tear.

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 10:57:03 PM »
Hi Nick,

I managed to run after my accident.   But when the knee started to lock I could not run but after my first arthroscopy I was able to run again but then I damaged my knee again from running so can't win.

I have to be able to run and will have to do the test again in which I damaged my knee so not looking forward to trying that again but will be sometime yet before I give it a go.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline JustMeInNC

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:40 PM »
I was able to jog, not run, beofre i had my surgery (2nd LR on right knee) now I cant even walk fast  :'( Which stinks cause i used to show my horses in halter and showmanship and other in hand classes and now i cant get them to trot in hand cause i cant get up enough speed so that they are able to do that i just have to limp around. Thankfully the judges are understanding (for halter anyway) and accept it.
I'm so busy that I'm not sure if I lost my horse or just found my lead rope.

1989 - Right Knee - don't rember what they did
1997 - Right Knee - Orthoscopic clean up again
2000 - LR on left knee
2001 - LR on right knee
2008 -LR on right knee (again)
9-18-2009 - Maquet osteotomy right knee

Offline suehaem

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 03:07:43 PM »
I know exactly what you mean.  I have been out now for two showing seasons  :'(.  My nags are native breeds so you are supposed to let them run freely onlong side you when you run so that is definately out of the question especially over the type of surfaces where they hold the shows.  Always a secret pot hole lurking LOL which I would not want to fall in.

I'm sure we willall get there in the end.

Sue
 ;D
North Wales
Fall from horse 04/04
Arthroscopy 27/07/07 -Grade III debridement
Re-injured knee running 1/03/08
Arthroscopy 11/10/08 - Grade II debridement
09/03/16 Fracture fib sking damage to knees
31/05/16 Grade 4 Chondromalacia and patella tilt (R)
17/11/16 Need new knee cap (L)knee
Awaiting Arthroscopy 2018

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 07:04:30 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

Maybe I am being too obcessive about not being able to run due to my Asperger Syndrome and as Nettan pointed out it depends on what the problem is with the knee. Not being able to run annoys me more then the knee pain  >:(

Sue and probullriderwife interesting to find out about how limited you running and walking. I think I can walk reasonable fast until I see a person overtake me with healthy knees.

If I was 30 years older I would accept I cannot run but at nearly 30 think its too young not being able to jog or run. I use to walk fast and jog with no problems until I fell over last year. Suppose I will have to have a scope which I hoping will not happen, but might accept it of it helps improves my mobilty.

Nick :) {2008} :)

Offline TwoBadKneesUSA

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • No matter how bad it is, my dog still loves me!
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 09:34:25 PM »
Hey Nick,

Caught up on this one finally.  I have not been able to really run for many years.  I was a runner in school and loved it more than any other sport.  It was what I liked to do to de-stress and meditate.  Once I realized I could not run any more, it really broke my heart.  I actually had to grieve about it.  I am okay with it now and I'm not quite 40 yet and I feel too young for it too.  Don't get me wrong if I needed to get out of the way of a car or something I can do something that may slightly resemble running.  It's okay to ask questions like this and to worry about it.  Hopefully the OS can get to the bottom of the problem.

Take care.

Milly
'83 lt knee scope
'88 lt knee LR
'89 rt knee LR (6 mos. after left)
'05 rt knee scope (clean up)
7/5/07 - scope, LR left, right clean
3/19/08 - LR failed, Supartz failed
http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?topic=47974.0
8/21/08 - new OS apt
8/5/09 - TTT, LR, PFJR sched.

Offline tanyap

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 10:13:14 PM »
hey there, had a TTT at 15 years of age, managed to jog, run (but not very long distance, more just run about, catch a bus, nip across a road) after but then started having problems again and would sublux every time i tried to run. I have been able to jog since. Had a scope to remove bucket handle medial meniscus tear 5 months ago, can move about ok but feel weak to move fast, after so many years of problems (am no 34) i dont expect to run again. I dont mind, I like to cycle and feel the wind in my hair moving under my own power at a fast speed that way.
1986 - recurrent dislocations of right patella began
1988 - Modified Hauser Procedure
1991 - dislocations started again
2005 to 2007 - 150 dislocations in 2 years - OUCH!!!
June 2007 - new OS, new physio
Oct 2007 - VMO woke up
Mar 2008 - big quads, still dislocating
Apr 2008 - next OS app

Offline digginit

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 10:37:41 PM »
It didn't occur to me that there are people who CAN run...lol.

~dig

Offline adlottis

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 10:46:05 PM »
I had a ttt, LR, medial reefing and chondroplasty18 months ago and I can run. If I run to many days my knee starts to ache, but I've recently ended a round of synvisc injections so I'm interested to see if I can start upping my mileage. It took along time to get there, but I do manage to run 3 miles at least once a week, I'd like to do more and may try to start to increase it in the next six months.  My Dr. told me to go ahead and try.  I'm having a blast.  I had not run for approximately 8 years prior to having this surgery because of fear of dislocation. 

Annette
1976 first dislocation 10 years old
1980 14 yrs old LR, MR, remove chip bone
1980-2005 numerous dislocations
March 2007 Proximal/distal realignment, chondroplasty
July 2007 MUA
July 2008  synvisc
Sept 2008 patellar tendon tendonitis
June 2009 hardware removal, LR, debriedment

brianne

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 03:53:06 AM »
The last time I was really able to run was in 2000.  I tried a few times here and there after that but always had to give up a few days into the quest.  I am actually very hopeful that I will be able to run once I am cleared by my OS in about 6 weeks.

I understand the frustrations, Nick.  I love running and its the thing that I want to do more than anything else.  I have also accepted that I might not ever be able to run again and thats okay.

Have you ever tried an elliptical machine?  Its close to the motion of running without the impact.  I use the elliptical 6 days a week and love it.

Brianne

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:07 AM »
Even people who can run.. sometimes loose..  Anybody see the story about the lady who had the best time in a marathon but lost.

Puts in cup out.   Segway donations.

Offline slyguy1

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 05:02:06 AM »
What about the stem cell injection procedure and the 67 year old doing triatholons? Anyone have opinions on that? Did Tom Brady the pro-football player get surgery yet? Will he run again?

Offline fatcats6

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2008, 06:05:08 AM »
Hey Nick,

I've never been able to run, even in my 20's but I can dream and when I have a running dream it's all very Hollywood, fluid motion, wind in my hair, easy breathing, just perfection..will never happen in real life so I guess I compensate for that by dreaming about it.  I wake up feeling so good.  In real life...I just want to be able to walk.

You know what they say....you have to walk before you can run.  Try and be patient and wait for the results of your test.  At least you'll know what you're dealing with then.
Feb 08 Fractured left patella
Jul 08 Released 115 degrees ROM
17/10/08 Dislocated & fractured right patella
2/12 45 deg
6/12 Drove car
16/12 92 deg
21/1 105 deg discharged from PT