Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Delayed PT / Rehab for gaining knee extension  (Read 951 times)

Offline diesel

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Delayed PT / Rehab for gaining knee extension
« on: October 18, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »
Great Forum,

Bit of a unique question. I was orginally injured in a fall on 6/10/2005 in which I sustained several injures among them a torn ACL, damaged meniscus, and a partial PCL tear. The knee surgery did not occur until late September due to the fact that I had 2 surgeries immediately after the fall on my spine for a burst fracture of L1-T12. 

Due to failure to regain full extension because of scar tissue adhesions I have had two subsequent scopes (3/2006 and 2/2007)

I will be upfront, for the past 3 years I have had minimal, rather, intermintent dedication to PT because of alcoholism issues and thus have been left with an abnormal gait pattern and still have not gained full extension. At times extension is better due to manual manipulation, stretching of sorts.

The quad is still heavily atrophied and for the past 3 months (been clean for 6) I have restarted most of my independent PT protocol along with a total weight training regime that includes legs. I was in shape before the accident.

Has anyone had experience with such a long delay in really attempting to rehab the knee? Is it too late?I may be out of luck and it is no one's fault but mine.

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 07:31:27 PM by diesel »
6/05 thorocolumbar fracture L1/T12 w/ ACL tear, partial PCL, meniscus, other stuff too...
9/05 ACL Allograft
3/06 arthroscopic surgery (scar tissue)
2/07 arthroscpoic surgery (scar tissue)

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Delayed PT / Rehab for gaining knee extension
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 08:25:25 PM »
Diesel - congrats on your 6 months of soberiety that's a real step forward.  I don't know if you can get back to 100%, but doing something now can't hurt.  As long as the muscles are responding I would keep working at it.  You may not be able to see changes right away, but don't give up.
Sending healing rays your way
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS