Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Teen Knee Pain and Ache  (Read 952 times)

Offline AsicsRunner

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Teen Knee Pain and Ache
« on: October 18, 2008, 05:25:40 PM »

I am a growing 15 years old male. I am a freshmen and was out for the entire cross country season do to knee pain. I have ran cross country the previous two years and have been plagued by knee pain ever since. This past summer I was training hard for the cross country season, running 4-8 miles a day. About a month into the summer I started getting knee pain when I ran and it would ache during the day. So I stopped running for two weeks and nothing changed. So I went to a physical therapist who gave me excersizes to do that would help my knee. The physical therapist also told me I would be out for the season which really made me sad.
                   Now 2 and a half months later, I have been running for a week  and the knee pain has already returned. I am extremly angry and sad. I guess the physical therapist doesn't know what is causing my knee pain so I guess I'd ask the experts on knees. Thanks.

Offline Clarkey

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 74
  • Neil TheElephant knee packed up carrying his trunk
Re: Teen Knee Pain and Ache
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 03:12:18 PM »
Hi and welcome to the Bulletin Board,

I seen a PT and was given leg muscle strengthening excercises to do and its improved my muscle a lot and are a lot stronger. I also go to the gym 3 times a week to keep my leg muscle strong. I use the cross trainer and excercise bike for around 20 mins on each machine which is really good for keeping leg muscles strong. Swimming aslo a good way to excercise muscles but its not too hard on the knees as you are under water so are putting less strain on your knees.

I on the way to see a OS and I think you should be seeing one as well as they are the best person you can see if you have a knee problems. OS is an Orthopaedic Surgeon incase you dont know what it stands for. He/she will know what course of treatment is needed to get your knee sorted. I can fully understand you frustrated that you can no longer run without getting knee pain.

I am in the same type of situation as yourself but I can no longer run or jog since 19th October 2007 so been a year now since I could run and really miss it as I use to enjoy my daily jog.

Good luck with your knee issues and ask your PT to get a refferal to see an OS or better still see your GP and he/she can reffer you to see an OS. You still young and should not have to put up with the knee pain you keep getting.

Nick :) {2008} :)
RK: PFPS, Arthrofibrosis, Tendinopathy, Five cortisone injections
16/01/18 Anterior interval release, distal patella excision, lateral meniscal repair
18/07/14 Anterior interval release  
16/11/09 Medial plica excision, fat pad trimming

Offline squibler

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:47:51 PM »

I am a growing 15 years old male. I am a freshmen and was out for the entire cross country season do to knee pain. I have ran cross country the previous two years and have been plagued by knee pain ever since. This past summer I was training hard for the cross country season, running 4-8 miles a day. About a month into the summer I started getting knee pain when I ran and it would ache during the day. So I stopped running for two weeks and nothing changed. So I went to a physical therapist who gave me exercises to do that would help my knee. The physical therapist also told me I would be out for the season which really made me sad.
                   Now 2 and a half months later, I have been running for a week  and the knee pain has already returned. I am extremely angry and sad. I guess the physical therapist doesn't know what is causing my knee pain so I guess I'd ask the experts on knees. Thanks.

I had similar symptoms as you.  Three years ago (when I was a sophomore), I began playing soccer for the first time in years.  Over the course of a month, my knee started to get worse and worse.  It would be tight when I ran and have a dull ache under the patella for the rest of the day.  I went to the ortho (orthopedic doctor)and he told me that it was most likely growing pains and the problem should resolve itself.  After MRIs, X-rays, and a CT scan, he thought that I may have a maltracking problem.  He put me through 2 rounds of physical therapy (PT) to tighten up the muscles around my kneecap.  The only good thing that came out of the PT was that the therapist taught me how to tape my knee and gave me a lateral J brace (both which greatly relieve my pain).  After the PT failed to improve my condition, my ortho told me about a surgical procedure called a 'Lateral Release' as an option.  Not wanting to jump into surgery, I got a second opinion from another ortho.  He told me that I would most likely grow out of it and to hold off on surgery.  So I waited about 2 years and finally got fed up with the situation.  I am currently seeing a third otho who told me that I would most likely need the lateral release.  I just had an MRI yesterday and will receive a call from the ortho in 2 or 3 days. 
     I am not sure that I have the exact same problem as you, because I have other symptoms such as grinding, catching, and pressure.  But in the beginning, my symptoms sounded similar as yours. 
     My recommendation is to get the Lateral J Brace, or ask your therapist how to tape your knee.  Although it is not a permanent fix, it is a great way to instantly relieve pain.  If that does not help, go back to your otho.
     Also, read up on Chondromalacia and see if your symptoms match. (http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/patelladisorders/a/chondromalacia.htm)

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 08:42:25 PM by squibler »

Offline Sarz18

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 11:03:30 AM »
Hi,

I am a little bit older than you (18) but I have had similar problems to u. When I was 12 I started to have knee pain and went to see a physio. For two years I regularly did exercise and had ultrasound and electrotherapy. My knee improved. However at the beginning of the year my pain came back worse than it has ever been. I went bak to the physio and then to the sports doc. I was sent for ultrasound, xray and ct scan and they found I had a severely subluxing patella. At the end of april I had a patellafemoral reconstruction on my right knee and three months later I had the same procedure on my left knee. A pfr involves a ttt, lr and itb release. It is pretty painful and it involved a solid three months of recovery for each leg to get me back to walking without too much pain. Rehab involves swimming, cycling and lots of exercises and physio. This could be something to consider. I hope this is useful

Sarah