Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ive got a split patella given no treatment - im in pain whots going on  (Read 1427 times)

Offline alisonr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0

??? ???
can any body help with something to chear me up  please i have since i was 27 been diagnosed with arthiritis in my knees hasnt been all bad just had to get on with it ::) now im 42 and have been back n forth to the doctor and hospitol since april 08 had mri bloods xrays (sure im a guinea pig) they just came back as your arthiritis told i will need to have a new knee in around 10 years as far too young now, i went in for a camera scope on the 23rd sept 08 result! a nerw problem :o i now have 2 split in mt patella ive been told by the medics no more kneeling  hills and banks will become hard  stairs also i was on morphine for the pain now im back on iburofen 600mg 3 daily all i have been told was to find a easier job i havent been given a review appointment or told anything else. so ive still got pain still taking tablets and now have a new diagnosis how long will it be split? will it heal? will it stop hurting and when?? please somebody help me out i cant even go on the sick due to not having enough N.I stamp apparently

gigi67

Re: ive got a split patella given no treatment - im in pain whots going on
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
hey there. you need to write all these questions down and MAKE your dr answer you...call on the phone even..remember your dr is on your payroll..right? get answers to your questions. What do they mean a crack in your patella??? like a fracture? if it is fractures do you require a brace , crutches, an immobilizer? ...are you seeing an OS or general dr or what?  definitely more info is needed thats 4 sure...seems cryptic ;)

have they recommended some physical therapy 4 u??? maybe u can ask about that.
soome have said chiropractic helped them with knee probs...also do u have access to an indoor pool for some hydrotherapy??? wonderful stuff! dont just sit around being frustrated for the lack of info you have been givne make a list of concerns n questions then set your mind to get answers.  maybe some ultram for pain? its nonnarcotic but has soothing effetc and is very effective for arthritis pain especially when combined with a  NSAID..again ask about that. and rehab and a brace and...everything you asked here..okay..why not call next week? you will feel better probably if you do.

Offline alisonr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 03:33:30 PM »
thanks gigi67 8)
 somebody is out there i have had 20 sessions of physio b4 they finally wrote to my doc and said this lady is in far to much pain and swelling when her leg is touched  :'( it would be hot to touch  n swell  ive had tens,up to the top mark at one point  ultra sound, taping, stretchy bandage with foam in and they even gave me a lovely stick to use when it was too painfull thats why i eventually got the camera  they said i had split my patella 3/4 up  and that my arthiritis was rougher the rest you know im back at work now for financial reasons only 9 weeks till xmas and kids in house  :-X i have to take my tablets or i hurt n it heats up n swells  so i just put on my stretchy pull on bandage physio gave me

gigi67

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »
well it sound like many approaches have bee tried then...wow I am sorry I know this must be very frustrating for you. R U still icing like crazy??? I am an advocate for that... 3 x'z daily 20 minutes each time! Some ( doctors) say that after the first several days icing no longer is necessary but I and many others will disagree with that experience speaks louder than opinion...if u have not done that in a while go back to it...3 x's daily 20 minutes. do u sit at work??? maybe u can prop up the bad leg on something n place an ice pak on it there too!

also as I said b 4 is the hydrotherapy..the pressure from the swimming pool( the water pressure) helps with swelling. by pushing out excess fluids. it is gentle and soothing motions to the joint. it is GREAT for stress managmement when having to deal with chronic pain...BUT not everyone has access to an indoor pool either. Has physio tried a whirlpool? also have you posted on the arthritis board? they may have ideas too!..love those stretchy bandages pull ons! do u sleep in one? sometimes that helps. sorry but thats all i can think of right now other than chiropractic care???? anyway I really hope you find an avenue that will give u relief soon!

Offline alisonr

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 01:22:15 PM »
thanks gigi67
 yep think most things av been tried b4  :'( no my job involves hotel work every thing i shouldnt do  if i go in the pool all they said do was walk BOARING  never swim especially breast n back stroke im gonna give it a few more weeks get xmas over then put the pressure back on my doc but cant afford to be on the sick i just wish i knew if it was going to fully split then what would happen! or is it gonna heal on its own im pretty fed up and resent taking tablets all the time i keep hearing about people having broken patellas wired and pots on as much as i would not like that i feel that im getting forgot about medically and i dont no why, ive gone back to work now and all i could say to them was ive now got a diagnosis however nothing has improved health wise and those stretchy bandages with foam in are really itchy after a few hours no not allowed to sleep in it doc says :-\