Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: snow  (Read 952 times)

Offline rkd1987

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
snow
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »
Hey everyone,

I'm kind of a noob here in the forums, but i'm a knee surgery veteran.
Anyways i'm going to be going in for my third knee surgery (second TTO) toward the end of november.  my other two surgeries were in late spring and i was laid up over summer. This time i'll be on crutches right through the middle of winter - the catch is that I live in Wisconsin, home of insane winters. does anyone have any suggestions for ways to not slip and kill myself walking on crutches in winter? Or any products that come to mind?

Thanks in advance!

-RKD
============================
3-2003 Left Knee scope for OCD. LR & sever/realign/repair patellar tendon

5-10-2006 TTO Left Knee.

11-20-2008 TTO Right Knee

Offline clemmy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: snow
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 06:33:12 PM »

Fortunately, there are products available to help you. You can get crutch "ice" picks, you flip them down when needed then flip back up when indoors or no snow/ ice. Get some YakTraks to wear on your shoes, or get shoes/ boots with really good treads.

Check Amazon or Google.

clem

brianne

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 07:04:56 PM »
I have had three major surgeries that occured during the winter months.  I live in Michigan where the winters are also crazy.  I found the best protection was to be slow and careful and just limit outdoor walking while recovering.  I have gone a total of 16 weeks on crutches in the snow and have never fallen.

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »
Definitely YakTraks for your purchase on the snow & ice. They're great. Wishing you well...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline rkd1987

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 04:34:19 AM »
Thanks a lot for the suggestions guys! 
============================
3-2003 Left Knee scope for OCD. LR & sever/realign/repair patellar tendon

5-10-2006 TTO Left Knee.

11-20-2008 TTO Right Knee

support