Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Persistent knee trouble  (Read 643 times)

Offline Dave80

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Persistent knee trouble
« on: October 14, 2008, 10:58:35 PM »
Please bear with me whilst I tell my story, sorry its wordy but I want to include everything in case it matters.

About 18 months ago I started playing 5 a side with work. Now this wasn't out of the blue exercise, I go to the gym regularly so I consider myself quite fit, if a bit heavy from doing a bit of weights and having a bit of baggage around the waist. I would say I'm a stocky 28 year old.

Everything was going fine and I was getting fitter and better at my game until I was stupid and fell hard on the floor indoors. I was going to take a shot with my left (weaker) foot but I got my right in the way so I moved it away but then had nothing to stand on. This resulting in me hitting my left knee hard into the floor with it bent and at about 90 degrees. I was able to carry on but I was amazed I could, my whole knee area was sortof numb and warm.

After this it would be painful to kneel and also I found that if i sat with my feet flat on the ground and knees at 90 degrees and tried to pull my feet back it would hurt quite a lot. This suggested to me that it was a posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) injury. So i rested even though my GP said I was fine and it went after about a month.

However when I started exercising again I started getting pains in both knees, worse in my right strangely. After a visit to a physio I was given exercises to correct the tracking of my kneecap which was their diagnosis. These were Illiotibial stretches, single leg dips for my vastus medialis and leg flys for my gluteus medius.

All this was great and these exercises combined with doing spin (bicycle) classes at the gym seemed to sort this out. Both my knees seemed fine however I now have serious problems in my left knee again whenever i try to run on it, jump on it or stamp my foot down hard. It will also start hurting whenver if I get over exuberant taking a set of 4 stairs!

After doing such an activity I will get pain in my knee when walking up or down stairs or kneeling. It feels as though something is trapped behind my knee. However I think this is just the swelling after ie a symptom of the problem not the cause. The pain comes on straightaway, could it be a meniscus problem

Sorry this has quite long, but it has been a long road for me and I'm losing my will power on this. Does anyone have an idea what the probelm could be? Ligament, tendon or cartilage? And who would be the best person to see?

Thanks

support