Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Confused About OA- Exercise and Pain  (Read 6493 times)

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
Confused About OA- Exercise and Pain
« on: October 11, 2008, 03:58:49 AM »
Hi, I have been wondering how this guy I know, in his sixties, can still play aggressive singles tennis :o.  His right knee is bone on bone.  He puts his special brace on and continues to play 4-5 days a week :o ???  I have mild degenerative changes medially and a worn meniscus laterally and I don't think I could run 2 steps without considerable pain!!!  How can that be :o ???
TKR  finally done!!!  9/9/13     Whew!!

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Confused About OA- Exercise and Pain
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 04:41:27 AM »
Everyone has a different situation with their knee. My two knees are totally different yet the same grade of OA .  One knee had much more pain than the current knee.

So there it is..   You do what you can and if it bothers you stop.    Sometimes people go out and do and feel it afterwards.  Just because they want to do it so bad.

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 09:04:00 AM »
Thanks for your reply.  As you pointed out, maybe he is hurting later :o ???

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 0
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 01:12:59 PM »
It's possible he only has bone-on-bone on one side of his knee. If that's the case he could be using an unloader brace which is designed to shift your weight from the bad side of your knee to the good side. It's a temporary fix and eventually he'll wear down the other side of his knee from all the pounding.

Your pain is what it is. It's different for everyone. My mother has arthritis in her toes and her doctor asked her if she was in a lot of pain. She just said, "huh?". No pain at all. The only reason they found it was because she had an x-ray done on her foot for something else. Her doctor couldn't believe she didn't have pain.

Offline 60schld

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »
That is very interesting.  Lucky for both of them.  I don't think I would care about my condition either, if it wasn't bothersome :o :P ;D  Thanks for the reply 8)

Offline Plumb

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 11:55:10 PM »
I had weather aches as a child.  But never really bothered to have treatment until  I had uncontrolled pain.  I guess it's like that with most people.

support