Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: McConnell Taping for maltracking - does it work?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline daisey

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
  • User's Text
McConnell Taping for maltracking - does it work?
« on: September 22, 2002, 08:20:05 AM »
Since surgery my patella has started to maltrack worse than before.  My ortho thinks this is due to muscle weakness form the surgery.  I have been very faithful and dedicated to PT.  I am in my fifth month of PT.  (3x a week).  They have tried everything and nothing seem to help the maltracking.  I do exercises and stretches everyday and PT has been doing soft tissue massage, but cannot get the lateral tissue to give.  PT said that the tissue on the lateral side was so tight that it was probably the cause of maltracking. The muscles including the IT Band are like bow strings they are so tight.
Monday they are going to try McConnell Taping.  
I was just wondering if this has benefited anyone and what to expect from this.  If the taping does not give me any relief,  what are my other options?  I do not return to my ortho until late October and will be in PT until then.
Any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Daisey
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 02:52:21 PM by admin »
05-2002 Chondroplasty and plicae excision Rt knee
07-2002/11-2002 multiple rounds of physio
11-2002 Open MPFL reconstruction
11-2002/05-2003 Physio
07-2003 Cortisione injection due to return of pain
2005-2007 Cortisone injections bilateral knees
2007 LR LT knee
5/6/2010 TKR scheduled LT Knee

Offline ELLEN

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
Re: McConnel Taping,  Please Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2002, 04:41:54 PM »
Hi Daisy

I had LR and then slipped on the ice 2 days after immobilizer was removed, I bent my knee back so far my ankle went up to my sholder when I fell.  OOOuch!  I was sent to PT.  They tapped my knee for 3 months.  The PT said I didn't even need LR surgery, taping does the same thing.  It did help me.  but now my patella has sunk down into joint space and also slipped down and hitting tibia.  Have to have Fulkerson done on Friday.

try the tapping it cant hurt and takes no effort to do.

good luck
ELLEN

Offline AC

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2002, 05:50:55 PM »
It worked great for me...while the tape was on.  But after the tape came off, it would maltrack and hurt again.  I think if you get a good brace that you can wear all the time, except when sleeping, it can do the same thing.

Good luck.
Lateral Release along with patella cleanup and bone spur shaving - Early September 2002 - Had a blood clot (DVT) as a complication.
TTT, Scope, and LR in mid June 2003.

Offline daisey

• Regular Poster
  • User's Text
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2002, 05:48:16 PM »
Thanks guys for the input and information.  It has been a great help.

Daisey
05-2002 Chondroplasty and plicae excision Rt knee
07-2002/11-2002 multiple rounds of physio
11-2002 Open MPFL reconstruction
11-2002/05-2003 Physio
07-2003 Cortisione injection due to return of pain
2005-2007 Cortisone injections bilateral knees
2007 LR LT knee
5/6/2010 TKR scheduled LT Knee

Offline CarolynWoodstock

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 06:21:56 AM »
The other problem with the taping is if you have sensitive skin, the tape can irritate your skin so you can't do it any more.  I know that happened to me.  But, if the taping works, then a brace like the BREG PTO brace will do the same thing and you will know if it will work for you before you invest the $ in another knee brace.
Original Injury 5/8/1999
First Surgery - Lateral Release 10/19/99
Knee Cap began moving medially
Second Surgery - Removal of Plica 6/19/00
Third Surgery (new Dr) - Reconstruction 1/23/02

Offline Shazinoz

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • G'Day from Australia
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2002, 03:18:24 PM »
Carolyn,
I am allergic to ALL tapes even the Hypoallergenic ones, so I know what you mean, even the 1st time I am taped I can wera it no more that a couple of hours before my sking rashes, then blisters , then breaks opens and weeps (YUCK) :o. So I stay Way Way away from Tapes of anykind. I wish I could cope with tape but then I guess wishing isn't going to make anything better so I just have to live with the fact that this is DEFINITALEY NOT an option for me  :'( .
2 ACL 'reco's', 3 'scopes', Pain, JRA, EDS, RSD, CMP, osetochondral defect & #, synovitis, adhesions, nerve damage, foot drop, MCL damage, tendonitis, fibrosis, ligament damage AGAIN, dislocations +++

Offline Kathy

• Forum Faithful
  • With God, all things are possible.
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2002, 09:04:27 PM »
I am waiting to schedule for a TTT (yikes) which I will know about on Monday, but in the meantime, they had been taping my knee during therepy - for me it actually hurt worse during and after it was taped than normally, and as far as they could tell, it didn't stabilize my kneecap. But they recommended taping because my brace wouldn't hold my kneecap when my leg was straight. So, I don't know if that helps!
Many dislocations for seven years.
3 stage patella realignment (Fulkerson TTT + LR + Medial Reefing) 10/18/02