Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: RE WHO ARE THE BEST OATS SURGEONS IN THE US?  (Read 5537 times)

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
RE WHO ARE THE BEST OATS SURGEONS IN THE US?
« on: October 10, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »
HI,

I NEED TO HAVE THE OATS PROCEDURE DONE AND AM WONDERING WHO ARE CONSIDERED THE BEST, MOST EXPERIENCED SURGEONS TO PERFORM IT ? LIVE IN DC BUT WILLING TO GO MOST ANYWHERE IN THE US.  THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE YOU CAN PROVIDE.

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
Re: RE WHO ARE THE BEST OATS SURGEONS IN THE US?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »
I cant give you a name of surgeons in the us and you might wonder why i am answerering then............

Am in the UK and am 14 weeks post op from 12 plugs transferred.

Currently still off work (but have a very active job with certain requirements before i can return)

Am prepared to answer questions if you have any re the actually surgery and rehab.........as mine is still ongoing

Lisa
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »
Hi Lisa!

Thanks for responding!  Hope you are healing well.  Yes, I'd appreciate any info on OATS. I have lots of questions :-)  What was your initial diagnosis?  Why did you choose OATS?  Did you have any previous surgeries? How did you feel after surgery, how did you progress week by week?  How long before you can be outdoor exercising - running or biking if you do?  Are you happy with your decision to do the procedure (might be too early to tell i guess), any complications?  Anything I should be prepared for after surgery?  I'm pretty frightened.  Thought I had a surgeon but now have heard some negative things and not so sure.  I'm in a lot of pain though and really want to get back to living.  Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
Emily Lauren

Offline lmr1

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 07:48:48 AM »
Hi Emily Lauren

THe questions are fine

My intital diagnosis came during surgery for ACL reconstruction..........we tried microfractures and 18 months on my knee was getting worse...not better so they hadnt worked.

Why OATS.........it was that or a new knee............as i said i am in the UK and even with private cover 'my new knee will not be done at 39...........possibly at 45...........but thats 6 years away and by then i would have not been able to walk(according to my OS).

Outdoor exercising - cant answer this one yet as havent actually asked.  Its too cold here at the mo for me to want to ride outside.......but i was using the bike at 6 weeks.  THeres a whole other story as to why i am still only doind 15 minutes and no more.  Most people by now (14weeks would be around 30 minutes)

Happy with the decision - easy answer - YES abosolutely.  Although full rehab and recovery is 9 months to a year so i still have some way to go, i have not had a single arthrtic pain since the surgery. Pain, yes but not arthritic and having suffered with that i do know the difference. 

AS for negative comments..........well i think i might PM you when i get in later about that and you will realise why then.

It is right to be nervous..........i would worry about you big time if you werent.  It does hurt..........but that doesnt last and is manageable.  I have a post op diary that i have put lots of details on that you might find interesting.............mosaicplasty.........all of it.  Mosaicplasty and OATS are essentially the same thing.......OATS is usually jsut one of 2 plugs...........mosaicplasty lots.  Before surgery i did not know which he would do...........just the he would cover the defect in the best way once he got in there.

Hope some of this helps............feel free to ask more.

Lisa xx
left knee problems since 1994
2 clean outs cartlilage removed both times
Acl recon oct 2006- extensive arthritis in medial side
Mosaicpasty june 2008

Offline plantgeek58

• SuperKNEEgeek
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 01:33:25 AM »
Well, I don't know if he's the best, but my OS does OATS procedures and I have absolute trust in his abilities. He performed one on me about 3 years ago and it's still going strong. His name is Dr. Roger Nowak and he practices at Integrated Orthopedics in Exeter, NH. Before coming here, I believe he was a surgeon for athletes in the NHL and the NFL.
Terre
RK 7/04 part. m. menisc., plica resect., MF
    3/05 part. m. menisc., open OATS
    1/07 part l. menisc., MF, patellar chondroplasty
    9/08 MF
LK 11/04 & 8/06 part m. menisc.
     7/07 LR, patellar tendon debrid., part m. menisc.

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 07:31:20 PM »
Hi Emily,

There are probably 10-20 surgeons who have a primary interest in cartilage repair/restoration procedures.  Keep in mind, each will typically prefer one type of repairative/restorative techinque over another.  There are a few that I believe have a pretty wide range of techniques they use (Minas, Cole).  Also, there are some very talented surgeons who are just not as well published or considered "opinion leaders" in this field. 

Below is a list of surgeons who are well known for their research/interest in cartilage repair/restoration.  This is a partial list and I'm sure others can add to it.

Dr. William Bugbee (UCSD, San Diego, CA),
Dr. Brian Cole (Rush Memorial, Chicago, IL), http://www.cartilagedoc.org/home.cfm
Dr. Tom Minas (Brigham Womens, Boston, MA), http://www.cartilagerepaircenter.net/
Dr. Alan Gross (Toronto, Canada)
Dr. Riley William (HHS, New York, NY), http://www.rileywilliamsmd.com/
Dr. Bert Mandelbaum (Santa Monica, CA), http://www.aclprevent.com/index.htm (Expert in ACI)
Dr. Jack Farr (Indianapolis, IN), www.orthoindy.com
Dr. Albert Pearsall, IV (Mobile, AL)

Check out the following website for more names:  http://www.cartilage.org/

I went with Dr. George Thabit III (SOAR, Redwood City, CA) who has a unique technique of interlocking the individual grafts.  He doesn't do ACI.  He was the only one willing to try fixing such large, Grade IV, defects.  I'm 5 1/2 post-op and doing well.

Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline emilylauren

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 02:25:40 AM »
Hi Janice!

Thanks so much for the detailed information on surgeons.  I really appreciate it!  Hope you are on the bend.  Would appreciate hearing how you progress as times goes on.  Thanks again!

support