Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: pain in knee when kneeling  (Read 2675 times)

Offline GC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
pain in knee when kneeling
« on: October 09, 2008, 07:31:54 PM »
Hello,
I'm looking for any advice with the following: Last year I tripped up while hiking (carrying extra weight via a backpack) and my left knee came down on a rock.  I had intense pain initially along with swelling, the pain only coming when kneeling (with pressure on the knee cap and tendons).  I had my knee looked at and x-rayed a few weeks later and the doctor said I had cracked my knee cap.  A year has passed, I run, can lift weights, etc. with no problem, however when I am on my knee it is quite painful when I put pressure on a certain area (the area just to the inside (right) of the center at the bottom of my knee cap, where the tendons attach).  I can put my finger on what feels like a small piece of something (about the size of a pea) at the bottom of my knee cap when my knee is bent.  When I push in on this "small piece of matter" I feel the pain.  I do not hurt when I run, or for that matter when conducting any form of exercise.  Only when putting pressure on the knee (as in the weight of my body).  Any help/advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.   Thank You!
Greg

Offline jathib

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • ACL recon, lateral menisectomy, lateral PKR
Re: pain in knee when kneeling
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
X-rays are only useful for seeing bones. If there is soft tissue damage (which is usually the case) you need an MRI. Many people have to give up kneeling altogether after a knee injury. I haven't knelt on mine for 35 years. If it's bothersome to you then you need to see an orthopedic surgeon who will probably order an MRI.

Offline GC

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 04:47:39 PM »
Thanks jathib for the advice!
Greg

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 98
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 03:26:08 PM »
Read up about 'knee mice', properly called 'loose bodies'. Sometimes a sharp blow like this can knock off a piece of joint cartilage that then floats loose within the knee cavity. It can move around, and can be nourished by the joint fluid and get bigger.
--
KNEEguru